Analytics tracking across your entire organization

Analytics tracking across your entire organization

Charles, Kimberly J
I am curious about how other universities configure Google Analytics tracking codes across your many websites in order to see a full picture of the paths users take across department websites. We are considering what approach to take here and two ideas are:

a. Use one GA account, provide properties (limited to 50) at a defined university hierarchy level and then educate those units on how to provide individual views for their dependent units.

b. Let units configure their own account/tracking code and request that they add a second tracking code for a university-level account.

If you've used either of these methods, what are the benefits and drawbacks of your preferred method?

Are there other methods that you would recommend, and if so, why?

Thank you,

Kimberly Charles
Director of Digital Communications

Public and Government Affairs
Digital Communications
The University of Illinois at Chicago

601 S. Morgan St.
1322 University Hall, MC 288
Chicago, IL 60607

U I C

Re: Analytics tracking across your entire organization

McBride, Ian S.

In 2011 we switched to using a single tracking code per domain (we primarily run middlebury.edu and miis.edu) that is shared across all sub-domains, so menus.middlebury.edu has the same tracking code as sites.middlebury.edu. The advantage is being able to track and report on traffic across all our web properties and the disadvantage is that we need to provide instructions on how to create custom segments and filter reports for those individuals who want to look at just part of the total traffic.

Another small advantage is that there used to be a cap on the number of properties you could have across your account's domains and we were hitting the limit (150) just from adding an "internal" and "external" property for each sub-domain. Consolidating let us have just the single "internal" and "external" properties for the whole domain, which reporters can then filter further on using the normal report building criteria. I don't know if GA still has that limitation.

What I would highly recommend in either case is that you have a single Google Tag Manager (https://tagmanager.google.com) code that you put in the markup of each site on each domain. Tag Manager lets you decide which tracking codes (and other JavaScript snippets like AdWords, Salesforce, etc.) are added to each page based on criteria you define in their interface. This gets you out of the business of having to update each system front-end to add new tracking codes and gives you the ability to easily accommodate that one program that doesn't want to use the central tracking code by adding their special one alongside yours for their sub-domain or path.

Ian McBride

Middlebury College

[hidden email]

RE: Analytics tracking across your entire organization

Kreider,Eric W

We use choice A. Primarily; we don’t want all of those accounts out there. But, since going to our CMS and requiring all WWW sites to be in that system, and providing centrally produced template, we include the GA code in the template insuring that all of the properties are being consistently reported. We assist all users with reports as needed. We are also finding that with the improvements in the reporting systems in GA, it is easy to give most of those users a generated report without need to give them access to the interface and thus a view.

In the last six months or so we have also implemented tag manager and are finding that it provides us some ways to manipulate the data and the reporting. We are very early with this tool and I’m just learning what we might be able to do going forward.

-Eric

Eric Kreider

Director, Web Services

Re: Analytics tracking across your entire organization

DeWayne Purdy
We use one Google Analytics tracking number, which we have about 75% implemented through Google Tag Manager. That allows us to deploy our Google Adwords and remarketing tags via GTM, rather then putting them on each individual site that needs them. We're working on implementing GTM in most of the rest of our sites to replace the universal tracking code.

We have a number of departments that had their own tracking code. They can still continue to use those, as long as the main GA number is also installed on their site so we can get a good university-wide picture.

I use college and division level properties to keep from bumping up against the limit of 50, with a few key departments, like admissions, having their own property. We have some departments that want to access that way, but others are receiving PDF reports on a periodic basis, or I run occasional reports on demand.

We're moving in a new direction for providing numbers, using the new Google Data Studio to pull reports from GA and present the data in a nice dashboard format. With GDS, the user can adjust the timeframe and click hover over charts to see more data. We're working with our institutional research department to place links to a number of dashboards on a page on their site, which would be limited in access to on-campus only.

DeWayne

DeWayne Purdy
Electronic Communications Manager
Information Technology - Client Services
University of Northern Iowa
117E ITTC
Cedar Falls, IA 50614
Office: (319) 273-2047