Bridging old and new websites

Leslie DuPree
 We're about to launch a new website on Drupal 8 but we are not migrating
all of our content. It's a phased approach (I know, not the best idea
but...). What I'd call our "top tier" content will be on the new site.
Most of the more "internal" content will be on the old.

Our plan was to rename the old site with a dot-net and redirect from the
new site there for pages that can't be found on the new dot-edu. We seem
to be running into a lot of unknowns and are now wondering if this plan
will work at all.

 Anyone have any experience with this scenario? Grateful for any advice!

Leslie

Leslie DuPree
Director of Web Services and New Media
Augustana College, Rock Island, Ill.
augustana.edu

Re: Bridging old and new websites

Gregg Banse

We did this while I was at GMU. The way we handled it was to use www2 to point to the new site and then link over to the old site where needed.

Gregg Banse

Director of Digital Communication Strategy

University Communications and Marketing

American University

4400 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20016

(202) 895-4978

RE: Bridging old and new websites

Bond, Dennis
It depends on how much you care about people being able to find the old content. If it's just internal and you can simply say "go to www.whatever.net to find the old content" then it will work great.

On the other hand, if links from Google and other websites to the old content need to continue to function after you launch, you'll need to create a serious number of custom redirects on the new website for every page/section/file you're leaving behind. This might be a viable strategy as well, but it also could end up being almost as much work as just copying the content to the new website.

Without more information, my general advice would probably be to try to split the difference and move anything that's of any significance, and then provide a URL for the old site to those who need it, as well as creating/providing a schedule for when the rest of the content will be moved.

Dennis Bond
Manager of Web Services
College of Agriculture and Natural Resources
Michigan State University

RE: Bridging old and new websites

Rosenberger, Luke E
We faced a similar situation during our transition, and the solution we chose may sound a little crazy but it actually worked very well:

Previously, like most places, we had the www version of our domain (www.uthscsa.edu) and the non-www version (just uthscsa.edu) pointed at the same target in DNS. When we made the transition, we actually changed so the www version of our domain pointed to our new Drupal host, and the non-www version continued to point at our local legacy host.

Our developers were able to come up with a pretty slick method to use custom 404s and redirects so that if somebody incorrectly went to the www (or non-www) version of something that should be on the opposite host, they would be redirected. It actually turned out quite nicely. I can get you more details on our plan if you're interested.

Thanks,

Luke Rosenberger
Director of Web Initiatives
Information Management and Services
UT Health San Antonio
7703 Floyd Curl Drive, Mail Code 7900
San Antonio, Texas 78229-3900
210.567.2486
[hidden email]
uthscsa.edu

Re: Bridging old and new websites

Sr Kathleen Mary Burns
We did exactly that when we moved into our CMS several years ago. Contact Mark Pitely ([hidden email]) for details about how we did it.

Take care,

Sr Kathleen

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 9:46 AM, Leslie DuPree <[hidden email]> wrote:
 We're about to launch a new website on Drupal 8 but we are not migrating
all of our content. It's a phased approach (I know, not the best idea
but...). What I'd call our "top tier" content will be on the new site.
Most of the more "internal" content will be on the old.

Our plan was to rename the old site with a dot-net and redirect from the
new site there for pages that can't be found on the new dot-edu. We seem
to be running into a lot of unknowns and are now wondering if this plan
will work at all.

 Anyone have any experience with this scenario? Grateful for any advice!

Leslie

Leslie DuPree
Director of Web Services and New Media
Augustana College, Rock Island, Ill.
augustana.edu

Sr. Kathleen Burns, IHM, EdD
Director of Web Development
Marywood University
2300 Adams Ave
Scranton, PA 18509
570-348-6211 x 2340
[hidden email]
http://www.marywood.edu

RE: Bridging old and new websites

Kelly, Debbie

I’d love to talk to you about your Drupal 8 experience.  We’ve run into some issues and want to know if anyone has workarounds.

Thanks,

D. Kelly

small_seal

D. Kelly, Assistant Director, Web Services

Information Technology Services

Florida State University

296 Champions Way, Room 6100
University Center Building C

Tallahassee, FL. 32306-2620

Office: (850) 645-8012

Under Florida and federal law, student e-mail addresses are not subject to public records disclosure.  However, e-mail addresses of non-students are public records when received by a public entity.  If you are not a student, and do not wish to have your e-mail subject to public records disclosure, please make your contact via phone or written correspondence.

[...]

Jason R Pitoniak
We did a major overhaul of our web environment about 7 or 8 years ago which included a revamped URL structure (we had been using tilde URLs for department sites before that, we switched to friendlier URLs with this particular upgrade).  The rollout was long--it took the better part of a year to get everything transitioned--so we prioritized sites to make sure the most important, external facing ones got converted first, etc., etc.

We handled it by making www.rit.edu point to the new environment, but by setting up a reverse proxy in the new Apache configs that sent any requests for not-yet-converted sites on to the old environment.  That way all of the old, unconverted content was still accessible from the same URLs, but already-converted content was always matched first.

If I remember correctly, we did it with a couple of mod_rewrite rewite map files that matched requested URLs based on their old account names.  The first file listed each unconverted site and returned a proxy-based redirect to the old environment (using the RewriteRule [P] tag). The second file listed the converted sites and returned the new URL base for the site; the old account name was then stripped from the request, the remainder of the URL was appended to the new base and a 301 was issued.  As sites were converted, we simply removed the entry from the former file and added a new entry to the latter.

We were focused on just getting full sites moved, not with restructuring the content within the sites, so this exact approach might not work for you, but it might set you down the right path.  You could, for example, set up the web server to proxy any URLs that don't match a known resource on the new environment on to the old, letting the old server return the 404 error if a request really does not exist.

--Jason

Jason R. Pitoniak '00
Technical Team Lead
Information and Technology Services
Rochester Institute of Technology

Email: [hidden email]
Phone: 585.475.4186

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: The information transmitted, including attachments, is intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and destroy any copies of this information.