Broadcast Communications

April Taulbee
Greetings! I'm hoping you're all having a great summer that isn't as crazy busy as mine has been.

We're looking to eliminate multiple broadcast emails going to the all faculty, all staff and all student groups. While most of the messages come from one source (we call it "distribution list manager" or DL for short) there are still a number of other folks on camus that have the ability to send to those groups. Between those and the DL announcements, it's amounting to a half-dozen or more emails a day and many on campus are crying foul over being spammed with no way to unsubscribe. We're looking to move to something like a twice weekly newsletter that can potentially be generated from, or at least tie into, a calendar system. As an aside, we're a long time user of the former Active Data (now Dude Solutions) calendar. In my opinion, a lot of functionality was lost when they moved away from the 3.x product and went to the new web-based calendar. We're still struggling with some aspects of the new version.

I'm looking to hear about what you're doing for broadcast communications and any pros, cons and got'chas. Recommendations that incorporate a different calendar system are also welcomed.

Thanks!

--
April Taulbee, Webmaster
www.dyc.edu

Re: Broadcast Communications

Jon Wilcox
I don’t have an answer for you, but we are in the same boat, having the same conversations about eliminating our broadcast emails. We have three lists, everyone, faculty, and staff. Anyone can send to any of those, and no one can unsubscribe. There us much frustration here about it too.

We did talk to someone at Texas Tech who manages TechAnnounce - https://techannounce.ttu.edu. Employees can post messages to different topics, and employees can subscribe to only the topics they want. An email goes out once a day in the Fall and Spring and twice a week in the summer. It is a homegrown system that they have been using for many years.

Currently the best option we have discussed is to keep using our listserv software (Mailman) but eliminate the everyone concept. Create multiple lists for different topics, each moderated by someone with an interest in that topic. Allow users to unsubscribe from any/all topics, set their digest options, etc.
--
Jon Wilcox
Senior Web & User Experience Developer

> On Jul 13, 2017, at 2:03 PM, April Taulbee <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Greetings! I'm hoping you're all having a great summer that isn't as crazy busy as mine has been.
>
> We're looking to eliminate multiple broadcast emails going to the all faculty, all staff and all student groups. While most of the messages come from one source (we call it "distribution list manager" or DL for short) there are still a number of other folks on camus that have the ability to send to those groups. Between those and the DL announcements, it's amounting to a half-dozen or more emails a day and many on campus are crying foul over being spammed with no way to unsubscribe. We're looking to move to something like a twice weekly newsletter that can potentially be generated from, or at least tie into, a calendar system. As an aside, we're a long time user of the former Active Data (now Dude Solutions) calendar. In my opinion, a lot of functionality was lost when they moved away from the 3.x product and went to the new web-based calendar. We're still struggling with some aspects of the new version.
>
> I'm looking to hear about what you're doing for broadcast communications and any pros, cons and got'chas. Recommendations that incorporate a different calendar system are also welcomed.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> April Taulbee, Webmaster
> www.dyc.edu
>
> You are currently subscribed to [hidden email].

RE: Broadcast Communications

Kreider,Eric W

We have three publications two for Faculty and Staff sent daily and one for Students sent weekly.

Daily News Update – Produced and distributed daily. I can’t provide a link to this we don’t archive it on the web. This is a compilation of stories, published throughout the web first, about the University of Akron and second about higher education in general. This is composed and distributed by a clipping service contracted by our Marketing and Communications group. This list is strictly opt in but has become extremely popular on campus. Many departments and individuals will submit stories about themselves, their departments and students for inclusion. I am not sure about the editorial review process for this. If anyone has a burning desire to see this, contact me off-list and I’ll forward an issue.

ZipMail - http://share.uakron.edu/mailAll/Zipmail Distributed every Tuesday to all students. NO Unsubscribe. These are official university announcements as well as a compilation of items submitted by departments and student groups. Editorial control is with Marketing and Communication (we would love to give this to student affairs and are working toward that). Currently under review to see about increasing the frequency of publication due to the growth of submissions making it long and difficult to read during the Fall and Spring Semesters. Some students complain about receiving this. We don’t care. (we really do and would love to find a better way but this is the official channel.)

Hope this helps. I’m watching this thread with great interest, looking for the magic bullet.

-Eric

Eric Kreider

Director, Web Services

(330)972-5303

[hidden email]

RE: Broadcast Communications

Leslie DuPree

Good luck, April. Wish I had some wisdom to share. Probably everyone on this list encounters this same problem.

I think in a lot of cases it’s a governance issue. As in, someone with the authority needs to tell people to stop spamming campus. In our case, there are a handful of offices/people who account for about 90% of the repetitive and unwanted emails…

That said, a half-dozen emails a day from others on campus that people don’t want? Doesn’t seem like such a huge deal to me.

Before my time here the C&M department produced an events-and-news digest every day. My understanding is that they gave up because it was a lot of work, plus people couldn’t seem to get their items in by the daily deadline.

We also tried the Gmail digest option but very few liked it, and again, items in it were out of date by the time they hit the inbox.

I hope others can contribute some ideas that have worked!

Leslie

Leslie DuPree

Director of Web Services and New Media

Augustana College, Rock Island, Ill.

augustana.edu

(309) 794-7626

RE: Broadcast Communications

Linza, Judy L

April

We put something in place several years ago and this is our official communication on campus for faculty/staff and students. We built an administrative area for administrators of Alfred Today to maintain it daily, M-F. The Office of Communications is the owner. User’s that want to post to it can login and fill out a form to post their announcement or event. This all ties into our calendar of events application as well. Recently we built a new portal and we allow announcements to be posted to the index page immediately.

We do not have a subscription, everyone gets it because it is the official form of communication. We generate RSS feeds so we can pull the information to our portal index page. Only faculty/staff that are approved by the Dean’s have mass mail permissions. We very rarely get mass mails anymore, everything is run through Alfred  Today. However, that does not mean everyone is reading it. The problem we are having is that HR does not tell new staff about it and during orientation students are not being told.

It can be viewed at http://alfred.edu/alfred_today/20170720.html and you can see how we are doing announcements, events and Alfred Today on the portal (not a lot of content in summer, sorry) at my.alfred.edu.

Let us know if you would like more information.

Judy Linza
Webmaster/Team Leader
Alfred University
1 Saxon Drive
Alfred, NY 14802
Ph: 607.871.2727
Fx: 607.871
.2339
my.alfred.edu
www.alfred.edu

Re: Broadcast Communications

gcervone
Hello:

We do something similar - some years back we wrote a news app for primarily faculty/staff (https://www.brockport.edu/daily_eagle/). Anyone with a NetID can log in and post an item and designate a category for it. A small number of College Communications staff take turns acting as editors to approve/edit the messages. Once approved, they appear on the website on the date requested and stay there until the expiry date. Every business morning an email goes out to all faculty and staff with a digest version of all the new items including links to the main stories on the website. Stories that have been designated as "headliners" are emailed every time even if they were emailed before (unfortunately there are no headlinders right now so it you look at the website today you will not see one, but they appear first and extend across both columns). RSS feeds are also available for each category or for a custom set of categories. We do not email this to students although they were once allowed to "subscribe" if they wanted to - this feature was hardly used at all. Faculty and staff are not allowed to opt out, but it is only one email per day and there is nothing to prevent someone who knows how to operate their email client from writing a rule to throw out these emails as soon as they appear. By and large this system works quite well although the application is in dire need of a rewrite, and there are some css issues since we moved to our new site design (we are still converting systems and pages so its all a work in progress).

There is still a distribution list that a few designated VIPs and their administrative assistants can use to send notices out but this is used very infrequently - it has probably been months since I have received one of those.

For emergency notifications we use RAVE, which can communicate with faculty, staff, and students via email, phone calls, and text messages.

Let me know if you'd like any more information, and I hope this helps…

-= GCC =-

Gian Carlo Cervone
Web Manager
The College at Brockport
[hidden email] • 585-395-5073

On Jul 20, 2017, at 9:30 AM, Linza, Judy L [via University Web Developers] <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

You are currently subscribed to <a href="x-msg://8/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=7583836&amp;i=2" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class=""> [hidden email].
To unsubscribe send an email to <a href="x-msg://8/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=7583836&amp;i=3" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class=""> [hidden email] with the subject line unsubscribe uwebd. Leave the message body blank. If you experience problems, contact list owner Eric Kreider at <a href="x-msg://8/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=7583836&amp;i=4" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class=""> [hidden email]. More information is available at: http://www.uakron.edu/webteam/university-web-developers.dot

http://university-web-developers.1112205.n2.nabble.com/Broadcast-Communications-tp7583828p7583836.html
To start a new topic under University Web Developers, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from University Web Developers, click here.
NAML