Call them Webmaster vs Web Editors vs ?

Smith, Brian J-2

Good morning,

What do you call the folks all around campus who edit websites?

Webmaster

Web Editor

Content Editor

For the past several years we’ve called them Web Editors, but we’re rethinking everything. We’re also interested in reading about this from other sources, so if you know of any links that would make this decision more clear please forward them along!

Cheers and Regards!

Brian Smith

Web Flunky

University at Albany

RE: Call them Webmaster vs Web Editors vs ?

Cambre, Aren

I think we need to reduce usage of “web” as it is no longer a big distinguisher. The people in this group are affiliated mostly with digital marketing and communications activities.

At SMU, we have defined three layers of roles for each school or division:

·         Strategic marketing lead: The person who sets digital marketing strategy and has final authority. May not have a significant hands-on role. The web captain often reports to this person.

·         Web captain: The top "boots on the ground" person who, for a given school or division, coordinates content authoring and management among distributed employees, works with OIT or Public Affairs on new features or resolving problems, and helps colleagues use the product, especially to help with specific needs of the area. This person also leads testing of new functionality or upgrades when requested by OIT or DEA.

·         Content maintainer: Those who do the routine website editing functions.

image001

Aren Cambre, D.Eng., '99, '03, '14
Director, Web Application Services
Office of Information Technology
Southern Methodist University

Re: Call them Webmaster vs Web Editors vs ?

Gregg Banse

It depends on what you mean by "edit" and what other things they do in relation to the website and do they have privileges/rights to do things that others cannot? Do they approve content created by others?

Gregg Banse

Director of Digital Communication Strategy

University Communications and Marketing

American University

4400 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20016

(202) 895-4978

RE: Call them Webmaster vs Web Editors vs ?

Kreider,Eric W

Content Editors. This also relates directly to the set of permissions assigned in the CMS.

-Eric

Eric Kreider

Director, Web Services

Re: Call them Webmaster vs Web Editors vs ?

Kristen Titsworth
We have Content Editors (who review and approve changes) and Content Contributors (who submit changes and do most of the page-editing).

We have a web governance document that I can share that was developed by Visionpoint Marketing, who helped us redesign our website and content strategy from the ground-up, if that interests you.

Kristen

--
Kristen Titsworth
Web Services Director

>>> "Smith, Brian J" <[hidden email]> 11/17/2016 9:27 AM >>>
Good morning,

What do you call the folks all around campus who edit websites?

Webmaster

Web Editor

Content Editor

For the past several years we’ve called them Web Editors, but we’re rethinking everything. We’re also interested in reading about this from other sources, so if you know of any links that would make this decision more clear please forward them along!

Cheers and Regards!

Brian Smith
Web Flunky
University at Albany

RE: Call them Webmaster vs Web Editors vs ?

Susan Hales

It depends upon what you mean by “edit”.  Are they doing any writing?  Are they just doing content entry?  If so, are they using a CMS to enter content? Are they editing for grammar and spelling or are they doing extensive editing?  Does anyone else have to approve their changes before it goes “live”?  Do they have this responsibility for the entire web site, or for just a portion of it (like, for a single department)?  Do they provide technical support to others with this responsibility?  Are they the only person for the university doing this, or are there several people?

Well, you get the idea. Give us some specifics!

--Sue

Susan Hales, M.S. | Instructional Designer and Webmaster | Information Technology Services | Penn State Wilkes-Barre
008 Bell Center for Technology | Old Route 115, P.O. Box PSU | Lehman, PA 18627 | 570-675-9185 | [hidden email]

Re: Call them Webmaster vs Web Editors vs ?

Kristen Titsworth
I've gotten quite a few emails about our web governance document, so I've decided to share it with the group: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzVvT_gDRtdCRkcxNUZza2s3M2c

This is a presentation that we had, but we also have a more specific, formal document (that's confidential and actually probably wouldn't make a lot of sense to you all because it discusses individual people) after we made some strategic decisions. You'll see "Tim" referenced in this presentation, who was the former Web Director, my current position. We ended up moving the Web Team from IT to the Marketing Department during our redesign process because it made so much more sense to turn our Web Team into a strategic content-driven communications team driving the front-end of all of our web properties instead of a back-end IT-focused team, especially since most of our new web solutions are cloud-based SaaS systems.

Happy to answer any questions!

Kristen

> [...]

Web Services Director
Marketing Department
College of Southern Maryland
301-934-7742

>>> "Smith, Brian J" <[hidden email]> 11/17/2016 9:27 AM >>>
Good morning,

What do you call the folks all around campus who edit websites?

Webmaster

Web Editor

Content Editor

For the past several years we’ve called them Web Editors, but we’re rethinking everything. We’re also interested in reading about this from other sources, so if you know of any links that would make this decision more clear please forward them along!

Cheers and Regards!

Brian Smith
Web Flunky
University at Albany

Re: Call them Webmaster vs Web Editors vs ?

Laudenslager, Kristin R
Yes, thanks so much Kristen!

- Kristin :)
Kristin Laudenslager, MBA
formerly Kristin Greenberg
Director of Web Communications
610-282-1100 x 1764

On Nov 18, 2016, at 10:09 AM, Gregg Banse <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks for sharing Kristen!

Gregg Banse
Director of Digital Communication Strategy
University Communications and Marketing
American University
4400 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20016

(202) 895-4978

This is a presentation that we had, but we also have a more specific, formal document (that's confidential and actually probably wouldn't make a lot of sense to you all because it discusses individual people) after we made some strategic decisions. You'll see "Tim" referenced in this presentation, who was the former Web Director, my current position. We ended up moving the Web Team from IT to the Marketing Department during our redesign process because it made so much more sense to turn our Web Team into a strategic content-driven communications team driving the front-end of all of our web properties instead of a back-end IT-focused team, especially since most of our new web solutions are cloud-based SaaS systems.

Happy to answer any questions!

Kristen

--
Kristen Titsworth
Web Services Director
Marketing Department
College of Southern Maryland
301-934-7742

>>> Kristen Titsworth <[hidden email]> 11/17/2016 9:42 AM >>>
We have Content Editors (who review and approve changes) and Content Contributors (who submit changes and do most of the page-editing).

We have a web governance document that I can share that was developed by Visionpoint Marketing, who helped us redesign our website and content strategy from the ground-up, if that interests you.

Kristen

--
Kristen Titsworth
Web Services Director
Marketing Department
College of Southern Maryland
301-934-7742

>>> "Smith, Brian J" <[hidden email]> 11/17/2016 9:27 AM >>>
Good morning,

What do you call the folks all around campus who edit websites?

Webmaster

Web Editor

Content Editor

For the past several years we’ve called them Web Editors, but we’re rethinking everything. We’re also interested in reading about this from other sources, so if you know of any links that would make this decision more clear please forward them along!

Cheers and Regards!

Brian Smith
Web Flunky
University at Albany

You are currently subscribed to [hidden email].

This message, together with any attachments, may contain confidential and/or privileged information and is intended only for the owner(s) of the e-mail address listed as the recipient of this message. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this email. Please notify the sender immediately by email if you have received this email by mistake and delete this email from your system. Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free, as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender, therefore, does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message which arise as a result of email transmission. If verification is required, please request a hard-copy version. DeSales University, 2755 Station Avenue, Center Valley, PA 18034 www.desales.edu