Cloud options for vanilla Linux personal web hosting environment

Cloud options for vanilla Linux personal web hosting environment

Cambre, Aren

I know this isn’t really marketing- or communications-related, but it is nonetheless one of those things that has “web” in the title, so it gets dumped on my team. J

We need a Linux-based web hosting system to accommodate faculty and student research and academic uses of web. We provide a WordPress multiuser environment for routine personal sites; this new  Linux environment would be for those who wish to start with a blank web site and roll their own stuff. It will also be used to develop for things that tend to work best on Linux, like PHP, Perl, Ruby, and more.

Have any of you done cloud options for this? I am thinking something like Dreamhost but that runs under our own brand, allows multiple sites off the same domain name (stuff.smu.edu/username), and supports the usual array of goodies you get on DreamHost, Host Gator, etc.

image001

Aren Cambre, D.Eng., '99, '03, '14
Director, Web Application Services
Office of Information Technology
Southern Methodist University

Re: Cloud options for vanilla Linux personal web hosting environment

Piero Tintori
Could the free tiers on AWS work? No harm in people learning how to set these up.

I think one of the big challenges with providing 'blank installs' and it being under your domain name is the responsibility of patching. If they forget about it, don't patch it and it gets hacked it could damage the University's reputation.

Piero

Re: Cloud options for vanilla Linux personal web hosting environment

Bradley Wagner
Hi Aren,

Disclosure: I work for a CMS vendor and not a hi-ed but we do have a lot of experience providing hosting environments to various teams.

It depends on how barebones you want to go but we've had a lot of success with Amazon AWS and Digital Ocean and with Rackspace/Slicehost before that. These were for very vanilla, Linux web hosting and for deployment of applications built in a few of the languages you've mentioned including Ruby and PHP and Java.

These typically do not come with the same array of pre-built modules as a Dreamhost but they do have machine images for specific types of environments.

I've used Dreamhost personally for years and have really enjoyed the service and the quality fo their support in that time though can't speak to its use on a larger scale.

Cheers,
Bradley

--
Bradley Wagner
VP EngineeringHannon Hill

image001.gif (3K) Download Attachment
image001.gif (3K) Download Attachment

RE: Cloud options for vanilla Linux personal web hosting environment

Cambre, Aren

Thanks to those who responded already. To clarify, I am really meaning shared hosting, where we would have a bunch of sites running on one server. In the example below, stuff.smu.edu/username would be the URL for each site, with username being replaced with the user’s own username:

·         stuff.smu.edu/asmith

·         stuff.smu.edu/nturner

·         etc.

I am open to a model that would provide separate VMs per user, but I am concerned about price, value proposition (shared hosting seems fine for current and expected uses), and giving users too much control over their own environments to the point of allowing them to make their environments unsafe. Maybe the latter is specious reasoning because if you can write your PHP page, you can have a really dangerous page!

image001

Aren Cambre, D.Eng., '99, '03, '14
Director, Web Application Services
Office of Information Technology
Southern Methodist University

Re: Cloud options for vanilla Linux personal web hosting environment

Aron Roberts
  Appending a potentially relevant part of a September 2016 uwebd thread, below, regarding another web hosting provider, Reclaim Hosting (https://reclaimhosting.com/).

 One of my colleagues, a digital humanist, described it in this way:

"Reclaim Hosting, which was founded by former higher-ed IT staff, offers a program called Domain of One's Own, an institutional hosting plan which offers both hosting (typical shared hosting environment, with an easy installer for many common applications including WordPress, Drupal, and Omeka) and tech support. Many people within the digital humanities community have used Reclaim Hosting and vouch for their tech support, which covers not only technical issues with their hosting environment, but also specific questions about particular applications. This would minimize the tech support burden that falls on local support staff."

  In addition to Domain of One's Own, Reclaim Hosting also offers a "shared hosting" product, although I'm not certain whether either of these matches Aren's desired model.

Aron Roberts
Research IT - Office of the CIO
University of California, Berkeley