Commencement Ceremonies on YouTube

Molly Stolz
Good afternoon,

Would anyone mind sharing if/how you present commencement ceremony videos on YouTube?
I've heard that some institutions have had videos taken down from YouTube because the video contained audio of Pomp and Circumstance. Have you edited that part of the audio out of your videos? Do you caption the ceremony video before putting it up on YouTube? Do you make it public or private? If you made the video private, would you be able to leave the Pomp and Circumstance in?

Thank you in advance!

Molly Stolz
Coordinator, Web Services
www.mchenry.edu
Ph: (815) 455-8541

RE: Commencement Ceremonies on YouTube

Susan Hales

I don't have answers to all of your questions, Molly, but I know that by law we need to include captions for accessibility.

--Sue

Susan Hales, M.S. | Instructional Designer and Webmaster | Information Technology Services | Penn State Wilkes-Barre
008 Bell Center for Technology | Old Route 115, P.O. Box PSU | Lehman, PA 18627 | 570-675-9185 | [hidden email]

Re: Commencement Ceremonies on YouTube

Paul Kelly
We stream our graduation ceremonies live on YouTube, and make the archive recording publically available shortly after.

We receive automated copyright claims against the music used in our ceremonies every single time, but we always reject them. We don't use Pomp and Circumstance, but the composition we use is in the public domain and the recording is by staff in our own music department, so nobody has a rightful claim on the copyright.

We don't caption the video on the basis that the equivalent information is available in other formats. I'm not sure how much US commencement differs from UK graduation ceremonies, but ours primarily involve names of graduating students being read out, and those lists of names are available on our website as text.

Paul

On 27 April 2017 at 20:34, Molly Stolz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Good afternoon,

Would anyone mind sharing if/how you present commencement ceremony videos on YouTube?
I've heard that some institutions have had videos taken down from YouTube because the video contained audio of Pomp and Circumstance. Have you edited that part of the audio out of your videos? Do you caption the ceremony video before putting it up on YouTube? Do you make it public or private? If you made the video private, would you be able to leave the Pomp and Circumstance in?

Thank you in advance!

Molly Stolz
Coordinator, Web Services
www.mchenry.edu
Ph: (815) 455-8541

Paul Kelly
Senior User Experience Designer
Marketing, University of York
[hidden email] | <a href="tel:01904%20324578" value="+441904324578" target="_blank">01904 324578

Re: Commencement Ceremonies on YouTube

Jennifer Loudiana
We are streaming live for the first time this year.  In our tests we have to make sure not to start until the sound engineer stops the music while folks are being seated, that has dinged us in our tests because we get a warning for the audio.  Our Band and choir sing so we haven't had an issue with any other music being marked. Our videos are made public.

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 10:27 AM, Paul Kelly <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ph: <a href="tel:(815)%20455-8541" target="_blank" value="+18154558541">(815) 455-8541

Paul Kelly
Senior User Experience Designer
Marketing, University of York
[hidden email] | <a href="tel:01904%20324578" target="_blank" value="+441904324578">01904 324578

RE: Commencement Ceremonies on YouTube

Susan Hales

Molly, here is some useful information from Wikipedia and Wikimedia.  According to those sources, this composition is in the public domain. Recordings of the piece, however, are covered by copyright law. Any recording of the composition made before Feb. 15, 1972 is not protected by U.S. copyright law*. However, more recent recordings are protected.

Here are the options I can think of:

A.      At Commencement:

1.       The piece can be played "live" by musicians (e.g., school band, hired musicians)

2.       Your school can play a recording of the piece made by your own school's band/orchestra

3.       Your school can play this recording of the piece, which is no longer copyrighted because it was recorded before 1972: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Pomp_and_circumstances_No._1.ogg

B.      Dubbed after the fact (when editing the Commencement video):

1.       Replace the music actually used with a recording made by your own band/orchestra

2.       Replace the music actually used with the recording referred to in A.3. above.

I'm not a copyright lawyer, but from what I can tell, it seems that any of the above options would ensure you are in compliance.

* Although some argument can be made that they are protected by State copyright law, a recent court ruling called that info question. See "State law copyright claims" in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_law_copyright for details.

Sources:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Pomp_and_circumstances_No._1.ogg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_law_copyright

Re: Commencement Ceremonies on YouTube

Bob Crisler

Just saying, Susan’s reply here is one of the best I’ve ever seen in uwebd. Detailed and super-helpful. Thanks. Salud!

Robert Crisler

Director, Internet and Interactive Media

University Communication & Information Technology Services

University of Nebraska–Lincoln

1217 Q 238, Lincoln, NE 68588-0218

RE: Commencement Ceremonies on YouTube

Molly Stolz
I agree with Bob, but as usual, you've all been very helpful! What a terrific group!