Content Categorization

Gregg Banse-2
I'm working on an article about content strategy for higher ed. Right now I'm thinking about the different ways we categorize content and develop IAs. I wonder if you might take a look at the categories below and let me know what I'm missing or if you have a different approach altogether.

Basic content categorization/types of content (these don't necessarily translate into IA but they roughly equate to audience interests).
  • Prospects/Current Students
  • Programs/Degrees/Courses
  • Undergraduate/Graduate
  • Departments
  • Faculty/Staff
  • College/School
  • Admissions
  • Paying for College/Financial Aid
  • Parents/Family
  • Alumni
  • Media/Community
  • Executive Administration (President/Chancellor, Provost, Deans)
  • Business Administration (Registrar, Parking, Security, etc)
  • Academic Administration (Advising, Career Counseling, etc)
  • Campus Life (Housing, Food Service, Events)
  • Athletics
  • News
Gregg

Digital strategist and marketer prone to fits of curiosity.
Solver of digital puzzles. Architect of digital solutions.

RE: Content Categorization

Nollan, Damond L

You’ve done a good job of capturing many of the areas on our site. Events…I see you’ve placed that under Campus Life, but brought news up a level. I could see events right next to news as well.

Just the first thing that jumped out at me.

Damond L. Nollan, M.B.A.

IT Director for Web Services

(919) 530-6399
http://www.nccu.edu

Re: Content Categorization

Gregg Banse-2
Hi Diamond,
Thanks! Yea, I think of news as a content type all it's own. It can be used along side any of the others. But going with that line of thinking, events should probably come out and be on its own.

Nice one Mike, thanks!