Content strategy & user journey planning

Content strategy & user journey planning

Gregg Banse

We're preparing to engage our faculty and staff to help us with a university wide content strategy, user journey/experience planning project. This comes from my being a new hire here (5 months ago) and a redesign project having already been started but without a solid plan, In fact the community had little or no involvement in the design process and are a feeling a bit resentful for it - an issue I'm trying to address by including them on this project.

The end result will ideally be a documented content strategy at the university level, school/college levels, program and department levels; documentation of the expected user journey for each of our audiences (starting with our primary and secondary - grad and undergrad prospects); a process plan for content redesign on a unit by unit basis; and a plan for user testing our assumptions.

Has anyone ever done this before? Have you been thinking about it? I'd love to connect with someone that's somewhat in the same boat as we are to share notes with and bounce ideas off of as we move forward.

Gregg

Gregg Banse

Director of Digital Communication Strategy

University Communications and Marketing

American University

4400 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20016

RE: Content strategy & user journey planning

Sarah Cunningham-2

Hi Gregg,

A long time ago, my college put together a committee to help guide us through a similar process. One stakeholder from each major area of campus was on the committee. That meant a large group, but reassured everyone that they’d have a representative and a voice at the table. It was also much more manageable than having everyone on campus is involved.

It’s helpful to have some research you can quote if you need to stop a bad idea. College professionals tend to respect research. Data is great too, everyone loves data.

Sarah Cunningham
Web Editor for Academics
(518) 564-3978

SUNY Plattsburgh
Feinberg 245
101 Broad St.
Plattsburgh, NY 12901
www.plattsburgh.edu

Re: Content strategy & user journey planning

Gregg Banse

Hi Sarah,

That's a good approach. So did you rely on the committee members to do the reporting out to the rest of the community or ??

Gregg

Gregg Banse

Director of Digital Communication Strategy

University Communications and Marketing

American University

4400 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20016

(202) 895-4978

RE: Content strategy & user journey planning

Sarah Cunningham

Yes, they agreed to keep their areas informed. We sent out a few college-wide announcements for big stuff. For everything else, they did a good job of spreading news.

Sarah Cunningham
Web Editor for Academics
(518) 564-3978

SUNY Plattsburgh
Feinberg 245
101 Broad St.
Plattsburgh, NY 12901
www.plattsburgh.edu

Content strategy & user journey planning

Nathan Gerber

Gregg,

We followed a similar process.  In fact we are doing it again this year for a refresh of the user experience/journey.  We have a campus workgroup/committee (I say committee but this group actually gets things done) called the Strategic Web Action Team (SWAT) and we have a representative from each division on campus.  We discuss the issues and collaborate on input and solutions, approve directions, etc.  As we manage all these points of discussion in our meetings, the reps take it back to their areas and gather additional input.  It has served our web and our campus extremely well now for several years.

If you would like more information, please feel free to contact me.  We are happy to share our experience/mistakes to help others.  J

Nathan Gerber

Director – Web Development Services

Utah Valley University

800 West University Parkway | Orem, UT 84058-5999

LC229 |  [hidden email]  | 801 863 7973

Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2016 16:36:06 -0500

From: Sarah Cunningham <[hidden email]>

** Warning: Message part originally used character set UTF-8

    Some characters may be lost or incorrect **