Drupal Version??

Smith, Brian J-2

Good morning,

We’re switching from our current CMS (OpenText RedDot) to Drupal. We’re likely to get templates this spring but we have to choose a Drupal version.

We like the new features of version 8, but have been told it might not be ready for production for our kind of full figured higher ed site. It sounds like version 7 is great, but if we use 7 then we’re going to have to switch to 8 in the not too distant future which we’re told is a major upgrade.

Any thoughts or recommendations on version?

Many thanks as always,

Brian Smith

Web Flunky

University at Albany

Re: Drupal Version??

Brian Gallagher
It usually boils down to "are the modules you need available in Drupal 8 yet?"

If not, go D7.  If yes (or you're willing to create or port D7 modules to D8) then go D8.

 - bg

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 9:39 AM, Smith, Brian J <[hidden email]> wrote:

Good morning,

We’re switching from our current CMS (OpenText RedDot) to Drupal. We’re likely to get templates this spring but we have to choose a Drupal version.

We like the new features of version 8, but have been told it might not be ready for production for our kind of full figured higher ed site. It sounds like version 7 is great, but if we use 7 then we’re going to have to switch to 8 in the not too distant future which we’re told is a major upgrade.

Any thoughts or recommendations on version?

Many thanks as always,

Brian Smith

Web Flunky

University at Albany

Brian Gallagher - Diamondsea.com / VirtCert.com - 800-604-1476
[hidden email] - 888-411-8144 Fax - www.DiamondSea.com

RE: Drupal Version??

Cambre, Aren

If I am reading the below image (from https://www.drupal.org/core/release-cycle-overview) correctly, then given that Drupal 8 was released in Q4 2015, then Drupal 7 goes to “security fixes only” later this year. If this is even close to accurate, seems like it would be wise to go to Drupal 8 now. Whatever increased costs to get in supporting the new stuff would be an investment in knowledge and future support and features, unlike an implementation on an old version that requires a major upgrade, which is more of a systems administration, waterfall project.

Example release cycle timeline (explained below)

Now something I am curious about is why people choose Drupal today. What is in it for you? Personally, I am concerned that interest in Drupal has sharply declined in this decade and the problems the community seemed to have getting version 8 out. Here’s what Google Trends is showing:

image001

Aren Cambre, D.Eng., '99, '03, '14
Director, Web Application Services
Office of Information Technology
Southern Methodist University

Re: Drupal Version??

Tommy McGahee

We made this decision late last year and decided to convert from our current CMS (ExpressionEngine) to D8. Every trainer and experienced Drupal developer that we consulted with said converting from 7 to 8 would require a near rewrite, which would be required sooner than we wanted with D7’s end of life. By going with D8 now, we will benefit from the platform maturing and push out that EoL as far as possible.

Our sys admins haven’t been the happiest with us though since D8 apparently isn’t the easiest to install on RHEL…

—

Tommy McGahee

Web Developer

University System of Georgia

706 583 2100

RE: Drupal Version??

Leslie DuPree

Hi Brian,

We switched from Ingeniux to D8 last week. It’s true that some features are not ready. The two that we ran up against are calendar  and media assets.

My understanding is that calendar is usable but lacks some features, such as the ability to enter recurring events. This may have changed in the interim since we started development. Our developers found a work-around for us for the immediate future.

Media assets is the biggest problem right now. We don’t have a way to view, handle and re-use images and documents, but have to re-upload every time. If anyone has a golden solution for this, please speak up!

If I were to do it all over again, I would make up a detailed inventory of ALL the functions the current website has, and match them against D8 available functions to see what might be missing. You might still decide on D8 (I would) but you would be prepared.

Good luck!

Leslie

Leslie DuPree

Director of Web Services and New Media

Augustana College, Rock Island, Ill.

augustana.edu

(309) 794-7626

RE: Drupal Version??

Kelly, Debbie

Tommy,

I agree.  We chose D8 over a conversion + complete rewrite in the near future (and costs that would come with that).

Our prior WebCMS wasn’t feature rich, so much of what we have now is better.  A few things we are waiting for D8 modules to catch up, but overall a better experience for our content owners.  It’s not perfect and some workarounds were still needed until the modules catch up.

D. Kelly, Assistant Director, Web Services

Information Technology Services

Florida State University

296 Champions Way, Room 6100
University Center Building C

Tallahassee, FL. 32306-2620

Office: (850) 645-8012

Under Florida and federal law, student e-mail addresses are not subject to public records disclosure.  However, e-mail addresses of non-students are public records when received by a public entity.  If you are not a student, and do not wish to have your e-mail subject to public records disclosure, please make your contact via phone or written correspondence.

Re: Drupal Version??

McBride, Ian S.

Drupal 7 will go into "security fixes only" shortly after development on the 9.x branch begins, but there are no plans to open the 9.x branch at this time that I'm aware of. That work will start when the core team decides to implement a feature that requires breaking backwards compatibility, but the new six month point release cycle appears to be going better than expected, with new features coming in that doing require changing the API.

We had to recently make the 7 vs. 8 decision, which is probably only a decision that could go either way this year. The core application is relatively stable (and we've not yet run into issues with RHEL), but many of the contributed modules are still being slowly ported to the new version. We did a requirements analysis and checked against the current state of modules, and determined that we'd be able to build the site on Drupal 8.

The suggestion I'd make is to talk to your project leads and gauge the amount of risk they're willing to tolerate with the project. If it needs to launch on a rigid schedule with a rigid set of requirements and they're willing to accept that you'll be rewriting it all soon, D7 may be better. If they're willing to accept a slip in the schedule or removing a feature that doesn't have contrib support (and you're not able to implement yourselves) at this time, D8 is a better direction.

Ian McBride

Middlebury College

Re: Drupal Version??

DeWayne Purdy
We've been using Drupal for about 8 years. The vast majority of our sites (200+) are currently in Drupal 7, we've done one site for a center on campus in Drupal 8, but we have been waiting on some modules before we start developing full-time in D8. Calendar has been one, but it's getting close.

That said, if we were starting off fresh with redoing our sites in Drupal, I would lean toward D8 and try to find workarounds for any issues rather than start in Drupal 7. I'm hoping to start building sites in Drupal 8 later this spring, but we have some theming work to do and need to set up our multisite to work with Drupal 8, as well as making sure all the modules we need are at an acceptable level.

DeWayne

DeWayne Purdy
Electronic Communications Manager
Information Technology - Client Services
University of Northern Iowa
117E ITTC
Cedar Falls, IA 50614
Office: (319) 273-2047
E-mail: [hidden email]

January 23, 2017 at 9:08 AM

[...]

January 23, 2017 at 8:39 AM

Good morning,

We’re switching from our current CMS (OpenText RedDot) to Drupal. We’re likely to get templates this spring but we have to choose a Drupal version.

We like the new features of version 8, but have been told it might not be ready for production for our kind of full figured higher ed site. It sounds like version 7 is great, but if we use 7 then we’re going to have to switch to 8 in the not too distant future which we’re told is a major upgrade.

Any thoughts or recommendations on version?

Many thanks as always,

Brian Smith

Web Flunky

University at Albany

RE: Drupal Version??

Smith, Brian J-2

Ian,

Thanks for your perspective on Drupal on the UWebD listserv. Since we’re just getting started, your experience is especially appreciated.

We’re going to push for D8 based on the advice we’ve been receiving from folks like yourself. Our design and vendor, KWALL, is advocating D7, so we’re trying to figure how hard to push back before our design phase ends and template development begins. If they charge us more for D8, we may have no choice but to go with D7.

The Calendar module could be a big deal for us. We’re considering a move from Bedework Calendar to a Drupal events system. We’re going to have to do a requirements analysis like you did at Middlebury.

We’re really looking forward to working with Drupal either way. It will be a great upgrade over our current OpenText RedDot CMS system.

Many thanks and regards!

Brian Smith

Associate Director of Web Services

University at Albany