E-mail system

Kevin O'Brien

Good day,

Slightly off the topic of web development, we are taking proposals for the new e-mail systems, and since it seemed like at first that Microsoft Exchange was going to be the default choice, I have been trying to convince the higher-ups to take more consideration into the choice. Here are some questions they would like to answered when looking at other Universities' choices for e-mail systems. Could you help me out by answering any of the questions you are able to, and if you don't know how many users could you say how large your university is?

Environmental Scan: What system are you using? How long have you used these systems? How many users do they have? What are their satisfaction ratings? Do they plan to continue with their email systems?
Cost of Ownership: Identify the costs involved in ownershi. Outline fees for licenses, installation and implementation, hardware, and staffing.

Thanks much,

Kevin O'Brien
Enterprise Content Management System Analyst
Division of Information Technology
San Francisco State University
--- You are currently subscribed to [hidden email] as: [hidden email]. To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email] with the word UNSUBSCRIBE as the SUBJECT of the message. Make Web-based changes or subscribe/unsubscribe at: http://listserver.itd.umich.edu/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?enter=uwebd&text_mode=0. If you experience problems, contact list owner Terry Calhoun at [hidden email]. Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

Re: E-mail system

Brian Steere
Environmental Scan: What system are you using? How long have you used these systems? How many users do they have? What are their satisfaction ratings? Do they plan to continue with their email systems?

We are using a combination of MS Exchange for Faculty/Staff and Google Apps for Students. Exchange we have been using for several years and this is our first year on Google Apps. We have about 500 users in Exchange and about 1200 in Google. Generally both parties are happy with those systems, though they don't really play together nicely.

Cost of Ownership: Identify the costs involved in ownershi. Outline fees for licenses, installation and implementation, hardware, and staffing.

I'm not sure what the actual costs are for Exchange, but Google is pretty much free. Implementation cost probably a weeks worth of work by IT.

--
Brian Steere
Web Developer/Programmer