EDU sites blocked in China

Charles, Kimberly J
Trying to research an issue with an .edu site being blocked intermittently in China.

Has anyone had issues with their EDU website being blocked in China? If so, what percent of the time is it blocked? Have you identified any causes? Does a custom Google search increase your chance of having a site blocked since China blocks google.com?

Thank you,

Kimberly Charles
Director of Digital Communications

Public and Government Affairs
Digital Communications
The University of Illinois at Chicago

601 S. Morgan St.
1322 University Hall, MC 288
Chicago, IL 60607

U I C

Re: EDU sites blocked in China

Keeling, Diana
Our site wasn't blocked but we had a lot of stuff blocked that we were calling on our page and it caused our page to load very slow or be broken.  Google was the big culprit, specifically maps.

—
Thank You,

Diana Keeling
Manager, Web Development Group
Enterprise Applications and Programming
Western Kentucky University

Re: EDU sites blocked in China

Piero Tintori
We have experienced it with some of our clients. As to how it becomes blocked can be a bit random.

If hosting externally, when we spin up a new Web server instance for a client on our hosted environment we double check that the IP address hasn't been blocked before.

Have you thought about having a specific China microsite hosted in Hong Kong? That might be the best option.

Regards,

Piero

Re: EDU sites blocked in China

Pat Ramsey
I’ve encountered this before. Where possible, we have clients running sites within the Chinese firewall, on locally-hosted servers, because of the latency in trying to reach sites hosted outside of China. It’s not just blocked domains/IPs, but it’s also network lag.

For these clients, any third-party calls to resources like Google (maps, webfonts, search), social media(Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter), WordPress.com(Jetpack, VaultPress, site stats) had to be replaced with Chinese equivalents or removed, in order for the sites to not 404 on several things, or timeout because the resource was blocked by the Great Firewall.

Given the pervasiveness of so many remote-hosted resources, I wouldn’t be surprised to see numerous sites blocked, or timing out from within China. It’s more & more a concern as more of that market opens up.

Best,

Pat

On Apr 19, 2016, at 3:36 PM, Keeling, Diana <[hidden email]> wrote:

Our site wasn't blocked but we had a lot of stuff blocked that we were calling on our page and it caused our page to load very slow or be broken.  Google was the big culprit, specifically maps.

RE: EDU sites blocked in China

wbaumgardner@calbaptist.edu

Interesting. Any recommendations for Hong Kong based web hosting?

Thanks,

-Waylon

Waylon Baumgardner, M.S.I.T.

Senior Web Services Manager

Marketing and Communication

Office: 951.343.4876

Cell: 619.977.3452

[hidden email]

www.calbaptist.edu

California Baptist University, 8432 Magnolia Ave, Riverside, CA 92504

RE: EDU sites blocked in China

Piero Tintori

Hi Waylon,

If you want to manage the servers yourself both AWS and Rackspace have HK locations. When you spin up an instance you just need to double check that the IP address allocated is ok. You might need to spin up a few instances until you get one that doesn’t have issues. The IP allocated might have been blocked previously etc.

Happy to share my experiences if you wish to contact me directly.

Regards,

Piero

TERMINALFOUR

50 Milk Street, Floor 16

Boston, MA 02109

Tel: 617.500.9171 (ext. 701)

Cell: 617.765.0429

www.terminalfour.com

Re: EDU sites blocked in China

Tepfer, Seth
I am in China right now. I can test a site if you like.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 20, 2016, at 4:29 AM, Charles, Kimberly J <[hidden email]> wrote:

Trying to research an issue with an .edu site being blocked intermittently in China.

Has anyone had issues with their EDU website being blocked in China? If so, what percent of the time is it blocked? Have you identified any causes? Does a custom Google search increase your chance of having a site blocked since China blocks google.com?

Thank you,

Kimberly Charles
Director of Digital Communications

Public and Government Affairs