Faculty to take their own portrait photo?

Faculty to take their own portrait photo?

Smith, Brian J-2
Could this work?

We set up a little studio with a standard backdrop - library or plain background.

The faculty member sits in an assigned spot. Smiles into the camera and they click a controller that takes their own picture(s). They choose the one they like and email it from a ipad that's set up at that location.

This way we could get more photos and not take up a photog's time.

Like a photo booth.

Would that work?

Brian Smith
Web Flunky
University at Albany

RE: Faculty to take their own portrait photo?

Angela Burrell-2
I don't see why not. I think it would be ideal if they could choose their own photo and do it on their own time. You might get higher submissions that way.

At our school, we had a staff member with a photography interest volunteer his time to take staff/faculty portraits one day shortly before Christmas. We had a little studio-type area set up in the IT department (complete with a white backdrop and lights!), and a time frame where people could drop in and get their photo taken. Many took advantage of this, though I think it was more staff than faculty.

You could also set aside a morning or two with photography students (if you have a photography course).

Angela Burrell
Web Developer
Information Technology
Lambton College
Sarnia, Ontario

Re: Faculty to take their own portrait photo?

Tia Linder
This is very interesting and sounds like a good idea. Would love to hear the success should you go with it.

We bring a photographer on campus once a year in October and give faculty enough notice so they can prep accordingly. We circulate a Doodle spreadsheet so they can sign up for slots. We reserve a space in the library for about 2 days on each campus. We provide the lists to the photographer and faculty are in and out. The lists keep order so there isn’t an overflow at any given day or time but schedules do change so we simply tell faculty they can go at any time should they need to cancel or reschedule their time slot.

The photographer provides us with links to each faculty album and we share it with them so they can choose which photo they would like to appear on the website. They are also allowed to use the photos for personal use.

Many thanks,
Tia

Tia Linder
Assistant Director of Online Communications
Development and University Relations
Fordham University

Joseph A. Martino Hall
45 Columbus Avenue, 8th Floor
New York, NY 10023
Office 212-636-6542
[hidden email]

Web: fordham.edu/give
News: news.fordham.edu
Facebook: FordhamUniversity
Twitter: @fordhamnotes
YouTube: FordhamUniversity

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 10:20 AM, Smith, Brian J <[hidden email]> wrote:
Could this work?

We set up a little studio with a standard backdrop - library or plain background.

The faculty member sits in an assigned spot. Smiles into the camera and they click a controller that takes their own picture(s). They choose the one they like and email it from a ipad that's set up at that location.

This way we could get more photos and not take up a photog's time.

Like a photo booth.

Would that work?

Brian Smith
Web Flunky
University at Albany

To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email] with the subject line unsubscribe uwebd. Leave the message body blank. If you experience problems, contact list owner Eric Kreider at [hidden email]. More information is available at: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.uakron.edu_webteam_university-2Dweb-2Ddevelopers.dot&d=DwIDaQ&c=aqMfXOEvEJQh2iQMCb7Wy8l0sPnURkcqADc2guUW8IM&r=8sOT3SvzrMWnrkoIUbKD5q2lfQBSqm0CIlivFJQeNp4&m=ZN1wi7WXRUvXCxCDaHZgaQSJySo68fxKn6nCdmzg2iU&s=bIOa1o4b8230-k3_WpGpIVDD_eVX6rG2EoqbS0vHAL0&e=

RE: Faculty to take their own portrait photo?

Leslie DuPree
Should work. We did a similar thing, but had our student photogs take the
photos. This was fairly successful but a lot of faculty balked at having
to set up an appointment for the photo.

Now we let them more or less drop in at our office and someone on staff
grabs a photo. Works better.

We also let faculty send us a photo if they have a good one they prefer.
Photos are not uniform, but hey, they're headshots. And we have most of
them.

We also had a lot of success when we set up a photo booth at the faculty
retreat when they all come to campus before classes. They had to pass by
it on their way to various events and could just sit down for a photo.
Took such a short time that it worked well and we got most of the new
faculty that way.

And, as a last resort, if we don't have a photo and can't persuade them to
get one taken, we use their ID photos. That usually brings them to us!

Good luck,

Leslie

Leslie DuPree
Director of Web Services and New Media
Augustana College, Rock Island, Ill.
augustana.edu
(309) 794-7626

RE: Faculty to take their own portrait photo?

Sarah Cunningham-2
If you serve coffee and snacks, you'd probably get good turnout.
Otherwise, faculty may not bother to travel to wherever you're set up. You
might also want to team it up with another event most of them are going to
be at like a fall semester meeting or breakfast (whatever you school does
to kick off the semester).

Sarah Cunningham
Web Editor for Academics
(518) 564-3978
SUNY Plattsburgh
Feinberg 245
101 Broad St.
Plattsburgh, NY 12901
www.plattsburgh.edu

Re: Faculty to take their own portrait photo?

Laudenslager, Kristin R
Neat idea! Especially how they choose/approve the photo on the spot.
We’ve actually gotten away from headshots, and now use a sign-up form to schedule 15 minute slots throughout the year where we shoot the faculty in their native environments on campus. In this way, we’re highlighting our facilities as well as the faculty. Other than being limited by time and resources (we run very, very, very lean here) it’s worked out well for the departments we’ve been able to get to. However, even showing them the shots on site didn’t always prevent reshoot and/or editing requests for reasons like “I have a funny wrinkle on my jacket shoulder.” I even had one very helpful fellow who was kind enough to “color-correct” his file for me, because, you know, he had just got Photoshop. ;)

:) Kristin

On 6/12/17, 10:20 AM, "Smith, Brian J" <[hidden email]> wrote:

    Could this work?

    We set up a little studio with a standard backdrop - library or plain background.

    The faculty member sits in an assigned spot. Smiles into the camera and they click a controller that takes their own picture(s). They choose the one they like and email it from a ipad that's set up at that location.

    This way we could get more photos and not take up a photog's time.

    Like a photo booth.

    Would that work?

    Brian Smith
    Web Flunky
    University at Albany

This message, together with any attachments, may contain confidential and/or privileged information and is intended only for the owner(s) of the e-mail address listed as the recipient of this message. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this email. Please notify the sender immediately by email if you have received this email by mistake and delete this email from your system. Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free, as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender, therefore, does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message which arise as a result of email transmission. If verification is required, please request a hard-copy version. DeSales University, 2755 Station Avenue, Center Valley, PA 18034 www.desales.edu