Google Analytics Question - Case Sensitive?

Google Analytics Question - Case Sensitive?

Debbie Kelly
Last year, we determined it was best practice to make a filter that shows all search terms in lower case. It combines all searches for terms, no matter what the case, into a single entry in GA.   (BAG, Bag, bag)

That said, we think the same is true for using the filter for all URLs, to show them as one entry (lower case).  Here’s a little blog entry on what I am thinking.

Any thoughts?  Pros, Cons?

D. Kelly, Assistant Director, Web Services
Information Technology Services
Florida State University
296 Champions Way, Room 6100
University Center Building C
Tallahassee, FL. 32306-2620
Office: (850) 645-8012

Under Florida and federal law, student e-mail addresses are not subject to public records disclosure.  However, e-mail addresses of non-students are public records when received by a public entity.  If you are not a student, and do not wish to have your e-mail subject to public records disclosure, please make your contact via phone or written correspondence.

Web content inventory care & feeding

Mosinskis, Peter

Hi folks,

Does anyone have any best practices they'd like share around how they manage & maintain their inventory of web content "owners" and subject matter experts?

Here are the challenges we face:

  1. People in departments move/leave and their content must be reassigned to a new authority.
  2. In addition to #1, sometimes you have to locate exactly what content a person was managing/editing when they move/leave.
  3. Division VPs can't visualize which people are responsible for what content in their web IA.
  4. Department heads can't easily visualize what content is their staff's responsibility in their web IA.
  5. Content editors (subject matter experts aka SMEs) can't easily visualize the content which is their personal responsibility
  6. The lack of #3, 4 and 5 makes it difficult for individuals and groups responsible for web content to tend their web garden (weeding & pruning out of date content, planting new content, etc.) on a regular basis.
  7. People are constantly adding content, so keeping this information in a separate repository outside of our WCM is totally inefficient.

It seems like we most often tackle creating a content inventory only when we need to do a web redesign; but then we end up having to recreate one from scratch. I would argue that a good WCM should make this job easier.

For now, we have been addressing these 5 challenges by manually managing a Google Sheet, where each row contains a URL, name of division, assigned authority/"owner", and a list of content editors and/or subject matter experts ("editors"). Our approach is to distribute this list on an annual basis to each of the VPs, have the VPs review, update & approve those lists, and return their approval to us.  There again, we have to do our best effort to make sure any new folders or sites which are launched are added to this list.

How are you handling the care and feeding of your web content inventory? Anyone have this built into their WCM?

Thanks
Peter

___________________________
Peter Mosinskis, PMP
Director of IT Strategy
Division of Technology & Communication (T&C)
California State University Channel Islands (CI)
One University Drive
Camarillo CA 93012 USA
+1 (805) 437-8587​

Re: Web content inventory care & feeding

Georgy Cohen
I wonder if Gather Content might be a solution for this? GC has several integrations with other CMSes (Drupal, Sitecore, WP, more) that allow for direct publishing to the CMS, and you could create a custom workflow with the roles you need for certain SMEs, etc. I can't speak from experience as to how this might work for your needs, but it seems worth exploring.

Good luck!

--Georgy

On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 7:02 PM, Mosinskis, Peter <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

GEORGY COHEN
ASSOCIATE CREATIVE DIRECTOR, DIGITAL STRATEGY

OHO INTERACTIVE
55 DAVIS SQUARE
SOMERVILLE, MA 02144
617-499-4933 | @radiofreegeorgy | oho.com

RE: Web content inventory care & feeding

Angela French

I can show you how we addressed #5.  Check out the page manager code block/link at the bottom of the content area of our pages: http://www.sbctc.edu/starting-your-career/right-career-for-you.aspx .  This piece was a custom “built-in” on our CMS (Omni Update’s OU Campus).  It is a variable that can be set and inherited by any level: site-wide by default, at the folder level, or at the page level.

Angela FRench

RE: Web content inventory care & feeding

Sarah Cunningham-2

Hi Peter,

Policies can help you here. You are carrying too much of the burden for things that are not under your control.

Our Web policy requires departments to assign an area Web coordinator. The coordinator is responsible for developing all content associated with the department. There can be more than one coordinator, but they have to make one the primary. Departments are required to replace coordinators as needed. This way you avoid having people working on pages they don’t have any connection to and managers know any pages related to their work is theirs.

We also put the department contact at the bottom of each page so it’s easy to know who to talk to if a problem is spotted. It might not be the same person as the coordinator, but they will contact the coordinator about page problems.

The other advantage to this policy is that because roles are assigned, departments are clearly responsible for the pages they create. It’s unfair for departments to create lots of pages and then expect you to sort out the problems for them.

As far as keeping track of the coordinators I work with, I use an Excel spread sheet with name, username, department, folder URL, status (primary, secondary) and the person’s start and end dates.

Sarah Cunningham
Web Editor for Academics
(518) 564-3978

SUNY Plattsburgh
Feinberg 245
101 Broad St.
Plattsburgh, NY 12901
www.plattsburgh.edu

Re: Web content inventory care & feeding

Mosinskis, Peter

​Thanks for the feedback Robin & Sarah.

Sarah, I see your point about policy and I agree that it is key. We are following a similar model of assigning content coordinators, and we're trying to provide tools to make it easier for those coordinators to understand and manage the content that's in their domain, whether they are responsible for hundreds of pages or just a handful. IMO if the content coordinators can't grasp what content belongs to them, they won't be able to keep it up to date, and the end result is a poor user experience for our students, employees and other web site visitors.

___________________________
Peter Mosinskis, PMP
Director of IT Strategy
Division of Technology & Communication (T&C)
California State University Channel Islands (CI)
One University Drive
Camarillo CA 93012 USA
+1 (805) 437-8587

Re: Web content inventory care & feeding

Mosinskis, Peter

​​Thanks Georgy, GC looks interesting. I think the CMS integration is key.

___________________________
Peter Mosinskis, PMP
Director of IT Strategy
Division of Technology & Communication (T&C)
California State University Channel Islands (CI)
One University Drive
Camarillo CA 93012 USA
+1 (805) 437-8587

RE: Web content inventory care & feeding

Aaron Rester-3

Hi Peter,

We’re in the midst of a redesign, and trying to use GatherContent for both the redesign and to aid in governance efforts as we move forward (and, potentially, as the front-end editing tool for content editors). I’d be happy to chat with you about it sometime.

Best,

Aaron

--

Aaron Rester

Assistant Vice President, Web Development
Roosevelt University
430 S. Michigan Ave., Room 1153
Chicago, IL 60605
(312)322 7140
[hidden email]

Re: Web content inventory care & feeding

Christopher Spencer

Peter,

We’re managing our website redesign in Gather Content and it’s working really well so far. I also used it to get sign off from various subject matter experts for our Housing Handbook and it saved me from a sea of emailed and revised Word files.

The load in organizationally was a bit choppy, but folks like it well enough now that they are pleased to interact with it.

I highly recommend Gather Content. Though until they have a proper integration with your CMS, shuttling content back and forth will be clunky.

Good luck.

Christopher Spencer

Assistant Director for Marketing and Strategic Communications

University Housing | University of Arkansas

960 W. Douglas St. | Housing Office 228

479-575-5084 | 479-530-4943 cell

University Housing is committed to provide a safe, comfortable, convenient, and reasonably-priced living and learning environment that promotes student success.