Google CSE - searching sub sites

Smith, Brian J-2
Good Morning,

Our various Google Custom Search Engines are integrated into our headers. In many cases they're configured to allow users to search our full site or just a subsite. We have dozens of site specific searches because they were relatively easy to set up - only one variable has to be changed for each sub site search.

For example, our College of Arts and Sciences:
http://www.albany.edu/cas/

I'm not sure we're going to keep using sub searches. People are used to using Google Search and our results have been decent as long as pages have been properly search engine optimized. This is a conversation we're starting to have now - do we need sub site searches?

Brian Smith
Web Developer
UAlbany

RE: Google CSE - searching sub sites

Dempsey, Paul-2
We use CSE subsite searches for specific online documents, such as the academic catalog or the student handbook.

https://www.ursinus.edu/academics/catalog/search/
https://www.ursinus.edu/student-life/handbook/handbook-search/

In these cases, there is a clear need to locate information within the document/site.

In general, we've been pleased with CSE. Seems to meet our needs and return decent results. The only downside us that there is sometimes a delay in getting new content discovered and indexed.

-Paul

Paul Dempsey
Web Director
College Communications
Ursinus College

Re: Google CSE - searching sub sites

Andrew Harris-3
This thread, and the one it grew from, have me curious.

We found CSE manifestly inadequate for a variety of reasons, but the biggest bugbear was the inability to search intranets. Inability to find stuff was actually costing us serious amounts of time and money across the uni.

Our user testing back in the day found that using different search engines caused significant issues for users. Users expected a search box to behave identically wherever they were. So, the reason we went with GSA was that we could have ‘protected’ results in a unified search, and craft those results based on context, rather than expecting a user to know which search engine they should use to find certain types of pages.

How do other institutions cope with this? Do you just have different search engines for different things? Don’t users get frustrated by that?

Maybe it’s our size - we are rather larger than average - but when the GSA reaches EOL, we will certainly not go back to a ‘public’ google search, CSE, or whatever it evolves to. It’s one of those things, you really don’t know what you’re missing until you’ve used a proper search engine. Yes, they cost, but in our case, it was a no brainer.

Cheers,
Andrew
--
Andrew Harris | CMS Platform Support
External Relations | University Services

Level 2, 32 Lincoln Square North
http://maps.unimelb.edu.au/parkville/building/245
The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010 Australia
T: +61 3 8344 2865 | E: [hidden email]

On 7/3/17, 2:49 am, "Smith, Brian J" <[hidden email]> wrote:

    Good Morning,

    Our various Google Custom Search Engines are integrated into our headers. In many cases they're configured to allow users to search our full site or just a subsite. We have dozens of site specific searches because they were relatively easy to set up - only one variable has to be changed for each sub site search.

    For example, our College of Arts and Sciences:
    http://www.albany.edu/cas/

    I'm not sure we're going to keep using sub searches. People are used to using Google Search and our results have been decent as long as pages have been properly search engine optimized. This is a conversation we're starting to have now - do we need sub site searches?

    Brian Smith
    Web Developer
    UAlbany

Re: Google CSE - searching sub sites

Bauserman, Andrew A
Andrew H,

>>How do other institutions cope with this? Do you just have different search
>> engines for different things? Don't users get frustrated by that?

We don't... Maybe we just don't have as much private data, but we've never had much demand.

Out of curiosity, what types of private information are you indexing? Do you limit private items, or their titles & summaries, from search results for users who are off-campus or not authenticated?

Thanks.

--
Andrew Bauserman
University Web & Design
William & Mary

Re: Google CSE - searching sub sites

Andrew Harris-3
We have a substantial staff intranet.
Our search engine has access to this and presents results identified as requiring authentication.
Historically, it’s been a massive problem and time-waster as staff try to find documentation and operational information.
Now they just search for it.

Cheers,
Andrew
--
Andrew Harris | CMS Platform Support
External Relations | University Services

Level 2, 32 Lincoln Square North
http://maps.unimelb.edu.au/parkville/building/245
The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010 Australia
T: +61 3 8344 2865 | E: [hidden email]

On 10/3/17, 8:25 am, "Bauserman, Andrew" <[hidden email]> wrote:

    Andrew H,

    >>How do other institutions cope with this? Do you just have different search
    >> engines for different things? Don't users get frustrated by that?

    We don't... Maybe we just don't have as much private data, but we've never had much demand.

    Out of curiosity, what types of private information are you indexing? Do you limit private items, or their titles & summaries, from search results for users who are off-campus or not authenticated?

    Thanks.

    --
    Andrew Bauserman
    University Web & Design
    William & Mary

Re: Google CSE - searching sub sites

Chris Leonard
Wanted to share what we have implemented at UD.

The main domain sites (udel.edu/foo, top level, colleges) use a single CSE. It includes queries of several custom domain URLs outside the main domain (foo.udel.edu).

This CSE is always available in our UD branded header

Department sites setup their own CSE which queries their site only.

This gives users greater ability to find specific content.

Not sure what type of private content you have. All of ours follows strict PII standards. Users can search the topic but the page requires login to view.

You might want to look into the exclude options using microdata or schema.org. Something along those lines.

On Mar 9, 2017 8:59 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Table of contents:

1. [uwebd] Re: Google CSE - searching sub sites - "Bauserman, Andrew" <[hidden email]>
2. Re: [uwebd] Re: Google CSE - searching sub sites - Andrew Harris <[hidden email]>

>>How do other institutions cope with this? Do you just have different search
>> engines for different things? Don't users get frustrated by that?

We don't... Maybe we just don't have as much private data, but we've never had much demand.

Out of curiosity, what types of private information are you indexing? Do you limit private items, or their titles & summaries, from search results for users who are off-campus or not authenticated?

Thanks.

--
Andrew Bauserman
University Web & Design
William & Mary

Our search engine has access to this and presents results identified as requiring authentication.
Historically, it’s been a massive problem and time-waster as staff try to find documentation and operational information.
Now they just search for it.

Cheers,
Andrew
--
Andrew Harris | CMS Platform Support
External Relations | University Services

Level 2, 32 Lincoln Square North
http://maps.unimelb.edu.au/parkville/building/245
The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010 Australia
T: <a href="tel:%2B61%203%208344%202865" value="+61383442865">+61 3 8344 2865 | E: [hidden email]

On 10/3/17, 8:25 am, "Bauserman, Andrew" <[hidden email]> wrote:

    Andrew H,

    >>How do other institutions cope with this? Do you just have different search
    >> engines for different things? Don't users get frustrated by that?

    We don't... Maybe we just don't have as much private data, but we've never had much demand.

    Out of curiosity, what types of private information are you indexing? Do you limit private items, or their titles & summaries, from search results for users who are off-campus or not authenticated?

    Thanks.

    --
    Andrew Bauserman
    University Web & Design
    William & Mary

Re: Google CSE - searching sub sites

Douglas Davey-2
On 7 March 2017 at 11:09, Andrew Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Maybe it’s our size - we are rather larger than average - but when the GSA
> reaches EOL, we will certainly not go back to a ‘public’ google search, CSE,
> or whatever it evolves to.

I imagine many GSA users like ourselves are waiting to see what Google
unveils before making a decision.

With the time remaining on our license (end of 2018) we believe we
have adequate time to consider whatever Google announces, alongside
alternative hardware solutions (Mindbreeze (mindbreeze.com/) was
introduced to us by Oobe in Australia) and other alternatives.

- Douglas.
--
Douglas L Davey <[hidden email]>, Internet Systems Programmer
Webteam, Communications Marketing & Engagement

Re: Google CSE - searching sub sites

Jim Kreuziger
Google has revealed the replacement for the GSA.  It’s called Google Cloud Search (https://gsuite.google.com/products/cloud-search/).  It’s heavily integrated with the G Suite of products, so if you already have gmail, calendar, etc. as part of your institution, I imagine it will work well for those products.  It remains to be seen how it will integrate with everything else.

Jim Kreuziger
Digital Communications Technologist
Strategic Communications
University of California, Irvine
www.uci.edu

On Mar 12, 2017, at 2:08 PM, Douglas Davey <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Have Google announced publicly that Google Cloud Search is (or will be
evolved to be) the GSA replacement?

I've looked for an actual blog post from Google or press release but
had difficulty finding anything definitive.

As GSA customers, we received the official email about the EOL on the
hardware product.  I'd hope Google's PR would also ensure we received
emails about the GSA replacement...

- Douglas.
--
Douglas L Davey <[hidden email]>, Internet Systems Programmer
Webteam, Communications Marketing & Engagement
"Nature never draws a line without smudging it." - Winston Churchill
Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author

RE: Google CSE - searching sub sites

Stephen Taylor-3
We were told by a Google rep that Cloud Search is "not there yet" as a GSA replacement for edu GSuite users.