Google Discontinuing Site Search Service

Google Discontinuing Site Search Service

James Crone
Our institution currently uses Google's Site Search service to provide a whitelabel search experience for visitors to our website.  We pay them the annual fee for the number of search queries we need based on usage.

We were disappointed to receive the notification yesterday from Google that as of April 1 they will no longer be accepting subscription renewals to the GSS service.  Existing customers will have access until their subscription runs out within the next year.  Google wants to migrate GSS clients to their Custom Search Engine (CSE) service.  Unfortunately, CSE does not provide the whitelabel type experience and is supported by the inclusion of ads provided by Google.  Essentially they think they can make more revenue from ads than the subscription fees we were paying for the Google Site Search service.

Thankfully our subscription lasts through next fall, but I were are naturally starting to look at alternatives (especially as they may have budget implications that need to be planned out).  Frankly, using the CSE service with additional Google branding and ads is not something we are interested in migrating to.

So, I'm curious to learn what others in this predicament are planning to do.  Are you looking at any other cloud-based search services?  If so, what services?  Are you going to develop something internal or provided by your CMS?  Or, some other alternative I haven't mentioned?

Thanks in advance!

Jim

Jim Crone
Director of Web Marketing/Communications

Comstock Hall 201 • 1501 W Bradley Ave • Peoria, IL 61625
[hidden email] • (309) 677-3844 • www.bradley.edu

RE: Google Discontinuing Site Search Service

Angela French

I’m pretty sure Google Custom Search Engine is what I used on our previous site, and as an .edu you can have results without advertising.  It was as simple as unchecking/checking (can’t remember which) a checkbox in the search profile.

Angela French

SBCTC

RE: Google Discontinuing Site Search Service

Bond, Dennis

Correct, Angela – you can opt out of ads. It’s basically an obfuscated feature / honor system. I’m sure they have enforcement for that, but as you say it doesn’t apply to us. I’ve never had any problems and have been using CSE with no ads for years.

Dennis Bond

Manager of Web Services

College of Agriculture and Natural Resources

Michigan State University

[...]

Image removed by sender.

Comstock Hall 201 • 1501 W Bradley Ave • Peoria, IL 61625

[hidden email] • (309) 677-3844 • www.bradley.edu

Re: Google Discontinuing Site Search Service

Barber, Christopher Todd (Todd)-2

We use CSE and don’t have ads. http://uthsc.edu/search/?q=research

Just a powered by Google Custom Search logo which isn’t intrusive at all. And as Angela mentioned, it’s just a check in the admin interface.

todd

=======

C. Todd Barber

Director of Web Services

Information Technology Services

University of Tennessee Health Science Center

(901) 448-1471

From: James Crone <[hidden email]>
Date: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 at 11:02 AM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

[...]

[hidden email] • <a href="tel:(309)%20677-3844" value="+13096773844" target="_blank">(309) 677-3844 • www.bradley.edu

Re: Google Discontinuing Site Search Service

wbaumgardner@calbaptist.edu

Chiming in as well, we use CSE and don’t have ads. https://calbaptist.edu/search/?q=student

Thanks,

-Waylon

Waylon Baumgardner, M.S.I.T.

Senior Web Services Manager

California Baptist University

8432 Magnolia Avenue

Riverside, California 92504

Office: 951-343-4876

E-Mail: [hidden email]

LIVE YOUR PURPOSE®

Re: Google Discontinuing Site Search Service

Bradley Wagner
For the free/ad-free CSE users, did you receive any notification from Google about any changes to your account?

Those of us using the paid GSS are hearing that there is not an ad-free version of CSE available anymore period moving forward but perhaps they will still have an option for 501(c)3s to opt out of ads.

On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 12:19 Waylon Baumgardner <[hidden email]> wrote:

Chiming in as well, we use CSE and don’t have ads. https://calbaptist.edu/search/?q=student

Thanks,

-Waylon

Waylon Baumgardner, M.S.I.T.

Senior Web Services Manager

California Baptist University

8432 Magnolia Avenue

Riverside, California 92504

Office: <a href="tel:(951)%20343-4876" value="+19513434876" class="gmail_msg" target="_blank">951-343-4876

E-Mail: [hidden email]

LIVE YOUR PURPOSE®

From: James Crone <[hidden email]>
Date: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 at 11:02 AM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

[hidden email] • <a href="tel:(309)%20677-3844" value="+13096773844" class="gmail_msg" target="_blank">(309) 677-3844 • www.bradley.edu

--

Bradley Wagner
VP EngineeringHannon Hill

Re: Google Discontinuing Site Search Service

Petersen, Andrew
We pay $2,000/year for 500,000 queries ad-free.

On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 11:33 AM, Bradley Wagner <[hidden email]> wrote:
For the free/ad-free CSE users, did you receive any notification from Google about any changes to your account?

Those of us using the paid GSS are hearing that there is not an ad-free version of CSE available anymore period moving forward but perhaps they will still have an option for 501(c)3s to opt out of ads.

On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 12:19 Waylon Baumgardner <[hidden email]> wrote:

Chiming in as well, we use CSE and don’t have ads. https://calbaptist.edu/search/?q=student

Thanks,

-Waylon

Waylon Baumgardner, M.S.I.T.

Senior Web Services Manager

California Baptist University

8432 Magnolia Avenue

Riverside, California 92504

Office: <a href="tel:(951)%20343-4876" value="+19513434876" class="m_-1388317330957026835gmail_msg" target="_blank">951-343-4876

E-Mail: [hidden email]

LIVE YOUR PURPOSE®

From: James Crone <[hidden email]>
Date: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 at 11:02 AM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

[hidden email] • <a href="tel:(309)%20677-3844" value="+13096773844" class="m_-1388317330957026835gmail_msg" target="_blank">(309) 677-3844 • www.bradley.edu

--

Bradley Wagner
VP EngineeringHannon Hill

Andrew Petersen
Augustana College | Assistant Director of Web Services
Office of Communication and Marketing

Re: Google Discontinuing Site Search Service

wbaumgardner@calbaptist.edu

First I’ve heard of this. It’s a checkbox setting. https://support.google.com/customsearch/answer/4542102?hl=en

That said, I’ve never been contacted by Google. I don’t recall hearing that anyone ever has in the EDU space. I suspect because of the .edu domain?

From: Bradley Wagner <[hidden email]>
Date: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 at 09:33
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

For the free/ad-free CSE users, did you receive any notification from Google about any changes to your account?

Those of us using the paid GSS are hearing that there is not an ad-free version of CSE available anymore period moving forward but perhaps they will still have an option for 501(c)3s to opt out of ads.

On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 12:19 Waylon Baumgardner <[hidden email]> wrote:

Chiming in as well, we use CSE and don’t have ads. https://calbaptist.edu/search/?q=student

Thanks,

-Waylon

Waylon Baumgardner, M.S.I.T.

Senior Web Services Manager

California Baptist University

8432 Magnolia Avenue

Riverside, California 92504

Office: <a href="tel:(951)%20343-4876" target="_blank">951-343-4876

E-Mail: [hidden email]

LIVE YOUR PURPOSE®

From: James Crone <[hidden email]>
Date: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 at 11:02 AM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

[hidden email] • <a href="tel:(309)%20677-3844" target="_blank">(309) 677-3844 • www.bradley.edu

--

Bradley Wagner

VP EngineeringHannon Hill

p. 678-904-6900 X-115

Re: Google Discontinuing Site Search Service

Andrew Harris-3

While it is true about the ads*, CSE is visually awful, the UX questionable, and all the links are actually routed through google servers, they just use javascript to trick you into thinking they’re direct links. Explain that in your privacy policy!

My experience over many years using CSE is that it is a wildly unpredictable product, where unexplained stuff happens all the time. You have the illusion of control with lots of comforting buttons and settings in the back end, but in reality, it just does its own thing. I had an important reference site which was about 80% indexed for ages, tried every trick in the book to get all pages indexed - no hope, so those pages never got found by searches, basically because Google’s algorithm decided they were not important enough.

*Oh, and every now and then - it would start showing ads!

Then there’s the weird thing about configurations and site filters - you’re limited to a certain number of domains and filters - but it doesn’t break, or give you a warning, it just starts returning awful, irrelevant results. The first time this happens, you will spend many joyful hours trying to track down what went wrong.

We currently have a GSA - also discontinued about 2 months after we installed! - but as you’ll see: https://search.unimelb.edu.au/?q=research we can control the design, accessibility, and usability to present a far better outcome to users - oh and the little padlocks, protected content - can’t do that on CSE!

It’s a ‘free’ product, where the old adage ‘you get what you pay for’ holds perfectly true.

Happily, our CMS - Squiz Matrix, has a partner product called Funnelback, which is a kick-ass search engine (originally developed by Australia’s CSIRO, who also invented Wifi), so when the GSA comes to end of life we’ve got a ready switch. Even now, we use Funnelback to construct pages in our CMS dynamically based on metadata and the level of control is excellent. If you’re looking for a ‘real’ search engine - 9/10 would recommend.

Cheers,

Andrew

--

Andrew Harris | CMS Platform Support

External Relations | University Services

Level 2, 32 Lincoln Square North

http://maps.unimelb.edu.au/parkville/building/245

The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010 Australia

T: +61 3 8344 2865 | E: [hidden email]

From: Angela French <[hidden email]>
Date: Thursday, 23 February 2017 at 4:07 am
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

I’m pretty sure Google Custom Search Engine is what I used on our previous site, and as an .edu you can have results without advertising.  It was as simple as unchecking/checking (can’t remember which) a checkbox in the search profile.

Angela French

SBCTC

RE: Google Discontinuing Site Search Service

Smith, Brian J-2

Andrew,

CSE has worked out great for us. The Google Search engine is used by nearly everyone and our search CSE search engine results pages present an interface and results that our audiences are very familiar with. Our students have chosen to use Google Search, so we use it too.

We can also work with our web editors to optimize their pages in a standard organic way to make their results show up higher in both on our CSE results and in Google SERPs in a standardized fashion. We’ve been using CSE for eight years and have not had to recode or search engine results pages much at all over that time period and have not experienced the issue you mention about inadvertent display of adds. We have options for display and have created dozens of customized search engines for subsites.

We looked at the Google Search Appliance, but did not have the time to adequately configure it and felt that we were generally happy with the results we get from CSE.

For us, it has just worked, and worked well, and has cost us nothing in terms of dollars, and very little in terms of time.

We recommend Google Custom Search enthusiastically.

That being said, this space is going to change over time. Between 10 to 25% of our page views come from a search engine. It’s important to us. So were very interested to hear about your experiences and what’s working for you and your users.

Regards!

Brian Smith

Associate Director of Web Services

University at Albany

Albany, NY

From: Angela French <[hidden email]>
Date: Thursday, 23 February 2017 at 4:07 am
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

I’m pretty sure Google Custom Search Engine is what I used on our previous site, and as an .edu you can have results without advertising.  It was as simple as unchecking/checking (can’t remember which) a checkbox in the search profile.

Angela French

SBCTC

Re: Google Discontinuing Site Search Service

Bauserman, Andrew A
Right – in case anyone is looking at how search/CSE is used at various institutions, Brian's note reminds me... We have custom sub-searches across our sites & domains. Here are some themed, responsive examples of ad-free Google CSE in action:

Search ALL of *.wm.edu and *.vims.edu:
http://www.wm.edu/about/search/

Search only one graduate/professional school:
http://mason.wm.edu/about/search/
http://law.wm.edu/about/search/
http://education.wm.edu/about/search/
http://www.vims.edu/about/search/

Search only Cascade CMS help pages:
http://www.wm.edu/offices/webanddesign/web/cascade/help/search/

Rolling out site-search is so easy we've automated the process for any department. Just duplicate the site-search landing page (template) then update the metadata on the folder root under which the search will be limited. All content pages pull parent folder metadata (recursively), and include the search box below the menu if instructed to do so.

We find much value in this – and find the terms of service a reasonable trade-off. Your institution may disagree. As always, YMMV.

--
Andrew Bauserman
University Web & Design

Re: Google Discontinuing Site Search Service

Jim Kreuziger
While we haven’t used Google Site Search for quite a few years now, we are being bitten by the closing down of the Google Search Appliance (GSA) program.  Basically, we have until the end of June 2018 to find our replacement.  Google is pushing their new “Google Cloud Search” product as a replacement, which is part of the “G Suite” family of products.  It looks like they really want to lock people into google services.  It may be an option for us, as we already have google apps for education on campus.

I’m the primary admin of our GSA.  I haven’t been enamored with it for quite some time, but it’s been the only thing we have had.  We have put together a cross-campus team that is going to look at search as a whole for the entire campus.  All options are on the table.

Jim Kreuziger
Digital Communications Technologist
Strategic Communications
University of California, Irvine
www.uci.edu

On Feb 22, 2017, at 9:02 AM, James Crone <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Chris Leonard
There should be a setting in the CSE dashboard that allows you to configure as a n edu/educational 'company'. This will remove ads.

On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 8:56 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Table of contents:

1. Re: [uwebd] Google Discontinuing Site Search Service - Jim Kreuziger <[hidden email]>

[...]

[hidden email]
[...]

Christopher Leonard | Web Developer
University of Delaware
IT Client Support & Services