Governance

Gregg Banse

Just a follow up - I realized my initial request was probably vague. Here's what I'm looking for: I'd like to know what the governance structure is for your university, from the executive level (strategy and policy) to the people who do the actual work. What units (depts, working groups, committees, etc) are in play, what is the scope of their responsibility and the what are they responsible for?

Best,
Gregg

Gregg Banse

Director of Digital Communication Strategy

University Communications and Marketing

American University

4400 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20016

Re: Governance

Henry M. Umansky
I’m not sure about our Corporate Governance structure, but I can at least share our IT Governance:

Hope this helps.
---
Henry Umansky
Web Development Services
Princeton University
c. 609-258-1674
m. 267-408-7622

On Nov 22, 2016, at 11:05 AM, Gregg Banse <[hidden email]> wrote:

Just a follow up - I realized my initial request was probably vague. Here's what I'm looking for: I'd like to know what the governance structure is for your university, from the executive level (strategy and policy) to the people who do the actual work. What units (depts, working groups, committees, etc) are in play, what is the scope of their responsibility and the what are they responsible for?

Best,
Gregg

Gregg Banse
Director of Digital Communication Strategy
University Communications and Marketing
American University
4400 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20016

(202) 895-4978

You are currently subscribed to [hidden email].

Re: Governance

Gregg Banse

Hi Henry,

Thank you for that - it is helpful. I should have been more clear. I'm interested in website governance.

Gregg

Gregg Banse

Director of Digital Communication Strategy

University Communications and Marketing

American University

4400 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20016

(202) 895-4978

RE: Governance

Angela Burrell-2

Our school has three websites – an international recruitment website which is entirely managed by our international department (they hired outside contractors to do the programming, but we host it in-house); a student portal which is created and mostly maintained by IT but the departments and schools are able to create and edit their own pages in our CMS; and a prospective student/marketing website that is designed and content-managed by our marketing department with the programming work (such as templates or new functionality) being done in IT whenever Marketing requests it.

I hope that’s what you were looking for!

Angela Burrell

Web Developer

Information Technology

Lambton College

Sarnia, Ontario

RE: Governance

Tony Goins

Columbus State runs on a pretty informal group of content providers, who submit changes through the CMS and are published by us (the Marketing Department).

We are currently trying to put some more structure around this. We gathered a steering committee for a redesign of our faculty/staff site, and we foresee this becoming a governance group.

Specifically, we are trying to put some structure to how often content is reviewed. We have a problem with out-of-date info. The system is optimized for making a change quickly, but not for going back and removing old stuff.

Our content contributors vary widely in their skill at writing and design, so that creates a lot of work here in the central marketing office.

I'm not holding this up as a model, just explaining what we have.

RE: Governance

Victoria Bomben-2

We have been working on a Web Governance framework over the past 1 year.  We set up a Web Governance Council that ‘reports’ to an Executive Governance Board, developed a Web Governance Policy (to be launched in 2017), established web operations procedures and Roles and Responsibilities Matrix to manage our web properties in a decentralized content ownership environment.  Since the Governance will be put into place early next year, it is too early to tell on the adoption and its results.  I do have to say that our Executive was behind setting up the model and included it as part of the 2016-2017 business plan.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Victoria Bomben, MBA, P.Eng

Director, Digital Strategy

Advancement and External Relations

Sheridan | Get Creative

Trafalgar Road Campus

1430 Trafalgar Road

Oakville, Ontario L6H 2L1

905-845-9430 x2460

sheridancollege.ca

[hidden email]

Brampton | Mississauga | Oakville

Follow Sheridan on twitter

Connect to Sheridan on LinkedIn

Like Sheridan on facebook

Re: Governance

Bob Crisler

We have a nine-member shared governance board. Six seats (three each year, two-year terms) are composed of members elected out of our campus web community, the UNL Web Developer Network. Three are appointed by the director of Internet and Interactive Media (me), which is the group ultimately responsible for our website.

More info at wdn.unl.edu.

ROBERT CRISLER

Director, Internet and Interactive Media

University of Nebraska–Lincoln

University Communication & Information Technology Services

1217 Q 238, UNL, 68588-0218

RE: Governance

Angela French

Any chance you will be able to share your governance plan Victoria?

Angela French

WA State Board for Community and Technical Colleges

RE: Governance

Cambre, Aren

We don’t have a governance structure for web or marketing technology. It has been discussed for years, but nothing has taken off.

Part of the reason is a major governance counter-example here, a committee of mostly business owners serving as an executive function for a major, policy-driven, non-marketing set of apps, has soured us. This would be inappropriate for technologies as fast-paced as digital marketing.

It has been a struggle thinking of a mode for web governance. Currently, I am the lead of most general digital marketing-related technology concerns. I partner with our Public Affairs department for key decisions, and my counterpart in Public Affairs and I actively seek input from divisional- or school web marketing leads across campus.

This isn’t governance in the traditional mold, but I think it’s working well in, again, the context of something as fast-paced as digital marketing. Given that it appears to be working, what is the advantage we get of a formal governance model?

image001

Aren Cambre, D.Eng., '99, '03, '14
Director, Web Application Services
Office of Information Technology