HTML E-mails and E-newsletters

John Bolles
I am collecting information on policies and procedures for how other Colleges and Universities handle the creation and delivery of HTML E-mails and Newsletters.

Do you use an outside vendor in any capacity?

What tasks do you perform in-house?

Who is chiefly responsible for coordinating and creating HTML emails?

How many HTML emails are sent out per week/month/year?

Whose HTML emails are you responsible for?

John A. Bolles, Jr.
Sr. Web Programmer, Web Team, Institutional Advancement
Loyola University New Orleans
504-861-5695
http://www.loyno.edu/webteam/
------------------------
"Again, Yet Again"
------------------------
--- You are currently subscribed to [hidden email] as: [hidden email]. To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email] with the word UNSUBSCRIBE as the SUBJECT of the message. Make Web-based changes or subscribe/unsubscribe at: http://listserver.itd.umich.edu/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?enter=uwebd&text_mode=0. If you experience problems, contact list owner Terry Calhoun at [hidden email]. Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

RE: HTML E-mails and E-newsletters

Charles Rasico

We have a single weekly email that we call “Up to the Minute”.  It is done in house every week by our Web editor and sent out through a program we purchased called platinum corporate mailer. Any other HTML emails we send (Admissions pieces and such) are taken care of by an outside agency (Royal and Company).

Charles

Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

RE: HTML E-mails and E-newsletters

Doyle, Rachel L

I do a weekly wrap-up e-mail that’s sent to the entire campus that I designed in-house.

Our Center for the Performing Arts and our admission office both use an outside vendor (Constant Contact).  Our Alumni Relations office takes care of their own email as well.

Rachel Doyle | Director of E-Communications | [hidden email] | 618-537-6550

McKendree University | 701 College Road | Lebanon, IL 62254

Providing a high quality educational experience to outstanding students.

Responsible Citizenship--Engagement-- Academic Excellence---Lifelong Learning

Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

RE: HTML E-mails and E-newsletters

Tran, Minh
I think we should be very careful going to 100% e-mail and online newsletter communication.

I attended a communication seminar earlier this month and according to a study, mailing letters and newsletters are still the preferred method of communication for the majority of people. The reason is that it is convenient for most people to read something in their hands, in addition, people read information differently on papers and computer screen. Most people skim reading for important information in emails and Web pages instead of reading it like they normally do on papers.
Minh

Minh Tran
Webmaster
Office of Communication Services
ENMU Station 6, 1500 S Ave K
Portales, NM 88130

Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

RE: HTML E-mails and E-newsletters

Hantman, Bryan L.

We do HTML emails.

Do you use an outside vendor in any capacity?

No, it’s all done in-house.  I develop two versions – a table-based design for the email and a table-less one for the web.

What tasks do you perform in-house?

            All of it.  We design in house and use Outlook (yes, Outlook) to send out via our lists, etc.

Who is chiefly responsible for coordinating and creating HTML emails?

The Communications office – myself as main chief.

How many HTML emails are sent out per week/month/year?

            It depends… usually between 3-12 per month, depending on what’s going on.  We send out these types of web-based emails: press releases, strategic plan updates, special events, lectures, and conference invitations, open house/recruitment invites, etc.

Whose HTML emails are you responsible for?

            We take on responsibility of branding each unit in the school through our emails, when appropriate/needed.

Bryan

Bryan Hantman
Director, Web Development & e-Communications
Office of Communications
University of Maryland School of Nursing
655 West Lombard Street
Suite 311H

Baltimore, MD 21201

Phone: 410/706.0623
Email: [hidden email]

Visit us on the web at http://nursing.umaryland.edu.

Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

RE: HTML E-mails and E-newsletters

Tran, Minh
We use mailChimp, it is very reasonable and I really like the user interface.
Minh

Minh Tran
Webmaster
Office of Communication Services
ENMU Station 6, 1500 S Ave K
Portales, NM 88130
Phone: 575.562.2032

Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

Re: HTML E-mails and E-newsletters

Bruce Harper
At 9:59 AM -0500 9/25/08, John Bolles wrote:
>I am collecting information on policies and procedures for how other Colleges and Universities handle the creation and delivery of HTML E-mails and Newsletters.
>
>Who is chiefly responsible for coordinating and creating HTML emails?
>
>How many HTML emails are sent out per week/month/year?
>
>Whose HTML emails are you responsible for?

The News & Information office in University Relations at Virginia Tech started a few years ago offering a every weekday morning emailing of news, notices, and calendar items, by subscription and managed by the listserv package. In February, 2007, we transitioned to an HTML and text mailing (recipient's choice). In August, we started sending a daily email message to all employees, based on the VT News email but tailored with announcements aimed at faculty and staff.

The emails are sent through the university's mail server, but the actual mailing and subscription management are handed by a free program called Dada Mail (http://dadamailproject.com/). The nice thing about this program (among many great features) is that you can pass it the URL of a web page and that is what it will grab to send as the message. This fit nicely with our home-grown CMS for the VT News website and the capability to create a variety of RSS/XML files from the story database, campus notice database, and the VT Calendar output. A web page was built for the text and HTML versions of the email, using PHP to imbed the various feeds and update the weather forecast at the time of mailing. This made it easy for those building the daily message, since they didn't have to learn anything new and didn't have to worry about editing and formatting the email each day (which was an issue with PHPlist and other programs).

Right now, there are 1591 subscribers to the text version, 2969 subscribers to the HTML version, and 9303 employees receiving the HTML message every weekday.

University Relations also sends out the VT Netletter every month, with 47,627 subscribers receiving a text email via listserv. This is on the list of projects, to convert this to an HTML/text offering.

This page http://www.vtnews.vt.edu/email.php on the VT News site has links to samples of the three versions of the daily email.

Bruce in Blacksburg
--

Bruce B. Harper -- Sr. Web Administrator http://www.vt.edu
Virginia Tech Web Communications     [hidden email]     (540)231-4360

Virginia Tech, Invent the Future

---
You are currently subscribed to [hidden email] as: [hidden email].
with the word UNSUBSCRIBE as the SUBJECT of the message.

Make Web-based changes or subscribe/unsubscribe at:

Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

RE: HTML E-mails and E-newsletters

Demmons, Daniel

Hi John,

I handle all broadcast emails to our Alumni community- 47,000 members. To answer your questions…

1.       We use Harris’ email system, however they provide the system but we do not use them in any other capacity as far as broadcast emails go- we (me) create, revise and send them using their system.

2.       I have a couple of very basic templates I use for delivery- they are VERY basic at this point but when I have the time I am going to develop them further, just never seem to have the time. Within the templates I usually create one or more custom images for the emails to go along with whatever content the submitter wants. I use the Adobe Suite (mostly dreamweaver, photoshop, some illustrator) to produce the majority of the eblasts.

3.       I am solely responsible for coordinating and creating the eblasts. I have an online form which members of my division use to submit the eblasts and then I take it from there. Generally I receive a word document or an email with the basics of their eblast (event, date, time, details etc) and I format it for the web and make it pretty.

4.       Depends on the month- most months we send out 50+ separate eblasts to specifically targeted groups. General all-alumni eblasts only average 1-3/month. Most constituents receive 4-8 eblasts per month.

5.       Any emails going out to the Alumni, whether submitted within Institutional Advancement or from other groups on  or off campus.

Hope this helps, if you have more questions, please let me know.

Thanks,

-Dan

Dan Demmons

Providence College, Institutional Advancement

Assistant Director for Online Services

549 River Avenue

Providence, Rhode Island 02918-0001

Tel: 401-865-1874

Fax: 401-865-1451

[hidden email]

Join the Providence College online community and reconnect
with your alma mater and fellow Alumni/ae!
 http://www.alumniconnections.com/providence

For the latest Alumni information and events go to
http://www.providence.edu/alumni

You can make a difference for a Providence College student-
http://www.givetopc.org

givetopclogo

Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

Re: HTML E-mails and E-newsletters

Karine Joly
John,

You might want to have a look at Karlyn Morissette's blog:
www.karlynmorissette.com
She posted a lot of tips/facts about email marketing.

Karlyn will give a presentation about that topic at the AMA Symposium
for Higher Ed in Chicago in November. In early December, she will also
present a webinar as part of the Email Marketing 360 series of Higher
Ed Experts: www.higheredexperts.com/emailmarketing360

--
Karine JOLY
http://higheredexperts.com

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 10:59 AM, John Bolles <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am collecting information on policies and procedures for how other
> Colleges and Universities handle the creation and delivery of HTML E-mails
> and Newsletters.

---