If we aren't web, what are we?

Cambre, Aren

Is there a word or terse phrase that can describe what we do?

In the past, it was “web”. However, web is now everywhere: it is the front end for almost all software, and it is increasingly the back end communications channel, too! “Web” no longer distinguishes what we do. We occupy a subset of “web”.

How do we describe our subset? I’ve used “digital marketing”, but I’ve gotten pushback from some along the lines of “we aren’t marketers”. My response is a polite version of “you’re still using digital marketing tools for whatever you call it”, but some just aren’t having it. OK, fine, I can use a new phrase, but I’m at a loss for the right words to replace “digital marketing” with.

What do you suggest?

image001

Aren Cambre, D.Eng., '99, '03, '14
Director, Web Application Services
Office of Information Technology
Southern Methodist University

Re: If we aren't web, what are we?

Jeffrey Butera
On 11/23/16 10:07 AM, Cambre, Aren wrote:

Is there a word or terse phrase that can describe what we do?

In the past, it was “web”. However, web is now everywhere: it is the front end for almost all software, and it is increasingly the back end communications channel, too! “Web” no longer distinguishes what we do. We occupy a subset of “web”.

How do we describe our subset? I’ve used “digital marketing”, but I’ve gotten pushback from some along the lines of “we aren’t marketers”. My response is a polite version of “you’re still using digital marketing tools for whatever you call it”, but some just aren’t having it. OK, fine, I can use a new phrase, but I’m at a loss for the right words to replace “digital marketing” with.

What do you suggest?

"communications"

You can add "web", "digital" or any other word if you need to separate that from any print media/communications you might have.

--
Jeffrey Butera, PhD
Associate Director for Application and Web Services

Re: If we aren't web, what are we?

Bond, Dennis

We are many things, often with several disciplines in our teams. However, I have recently been of the opinion that we are closest to Content Strategists. As such, it's more important than ever to make sure our IT resources and Communications resources are aligned and working closely together. Skills from each of those areas are needed - they're no longer separate.

Dennis Bond
Manager of Web Services
College of Agriculture and Natural Resources
Michigan State University

On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 10:10 AM -0500, "Cambre, Aren" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Paul Bradley

If ‘digital marketing” isn’t quite right how about something along the lines of: Marketing Technologist?

Paul Bradley.

Twitter:          @OnCoFo

Blog:               Show Me The Data – A Blog About University & College Websites

Website:       Online+Course Info

LinkedIn:      ca.linkedin.com/in/pauljohnbradley

Phone:            <a href="tel:+1%20416%20464%209771" title="North America Contact Number">+1 416 464 9771 | <a href="tel:+44%2020%203290%203573" title="Europe Contact Number">+44 20 3290 3573

From: "Cambre, Aren" <[hidden email]>
Date: Wednesday, 23 November 2016 at 10:07
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Subject: [uwebd] If we aren't web, what are we?

[...]

You are currently subscribed to [hidden email]. To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email] with the subject line unsubscribe uwebd. Leave the message body blank. If you experience problems, contact list owner Eric Kreider at [hidden email]. More information is available at: http://www.uakron.edu/webteam/university-web-developers.dot

RE: If we aren't web, what are we?

Cambre, Aren

The challenge is we’re more than communications. Digital communications includes email, and we do not manage that utility service. Web communications potentially includes any system that helps communicating, which could include internally-facing commodity wiki systems, which I also think is an unrelated concern.

I see us oriented towards marketing communications.

image001

Aren Cambre, D.Eng., '99, '03, '14
Director, Web Application Services
Office of Information Technology
Southern Methodist University

RE: If we aren't web, what are we?

Cambre, Aren

I do like “marketing technologist” to describe the roles or people. I still struggle with the right term for our product(s).

image001

Aren Cambre, D.Eng., '99, '03, '14
Director, Web Application Services
Office of Information Technology
Southern Methodist University

If ‘digital marketing” isn’t quite right how about something along the lines of: Marketing Technologist?

Paul Bradley.

Twitter:          @OnCoFo

Blog:               Show Me The Data – A Blog About University & College Websites

Website:       Online+Course Info

LinkedIn:      ca.linkedin.com/in/pauljohnbradley

Phone:            <a href="tel:&#43;1%20416%20464%209771" title="North America Contact Number">+1 416 464 9771 | <a href="tel:&#43;44%2020%203290%203573" title="Europe Contact Number">+44 20 3290 3573

RE: If we aren't web, what are we?

Kristen Titsworth
I consider myself a "digital strategist" because in my mind, that term encompasses all things digital, whether it be websites, e-mail, social media, other web applications. But actually the key word here is "strategist," because even though I may not be the key administrator for a certain product, I find myself assuming the task of thinking about the larger strategy of when/how we use a certain tool and how that relates to our other IT, marketing, and communications tools.

Just my two cents!

Kristen

--
Kristen Titsworth
Web Services Director

>>> "Cambre, Aren" <[hidden email]> 11/29/2016 11:52 AM >>>

image001
Aren Cambre, D.Eng., '99, '03, '14
Director, Web Application Services
Office of Information Technology
Southern Methodist University

If ‘digital marketing” isn’t quite right how about something along the lines of: Marketing Technologist?

Paul Bradley.

Twitter:          @OnCoFo
Website:       Online+Course Info
Phone:            <a title="North America Contact Number" href="tel:+1%20416%20464%209771">+1 416 464 9771 | <a title="Europe Contact Number" href="tel:+44%2020%203290%203573">+44 20 3290 3573

RE: If we aren't web, what are we?

Kreider,Eric W

Kristen’s response is much closer to where I believe my team is positioned at the moment.

Our IT is pulling further and further back from control and support of critical systems, all email, all Sharepoint, all MS Office, payroll management, giving communication and management, shuttle bus scheduling and management, classroom scheduling and management, student organization portal, university press and scholarly publishing services, very large portions of our storage, identity management (AD & LDAP), WWW web presence, university calendar and soon the LMS, are all served and supported in the cloud with a myriad of vendors. We’re looking for our first CRM and it will, without a doubt, be hosted and supported elsewhere. I am sure, somewhere there is a group looking to move our ERP (Peoplesoft / Oracle), our last big enterprise application, out.

The WebTeam’s job, more and more, is to help users determine where the tools are, which one might be appropriate and how to integrate it with whatever project they are trying to complete at the moment. The users can’t possibly know the workings of the moving parts, where they are located and how to leverage them. The content and content management are the easy part. (Don’t tell my friends on the writing side of the department I said that)

Whew, this is the first time in a long time I’ve started listing these things and I find I can’t stop. We’re truly to a point where it is easier to list the things still in house. (oddly, the software that serves THIS LIST J )

Strategist is a good word.

-Eric

Eric Kreider

Director, Web Services