JuicyCampus.com

James Saqui
UWebD'ers:

This was brought to my attention via another Listserv (Institute for Computer Policy and Law Constituent Group) and was wondering if anyone on this list was aware of this site and, if so, if it has impacted policies at your institution. If not, it sounds like something that should probably be on your radar, so I hope I'm not embodying the harbinger of Web and Marketing unit doom here.

The site is JuicyCampus.com [ http://www.juicycampus.com ] and apparently is a college gossip site that requires no registration, protects the IP addresses of posters and allows anyone to say anything about anyone or anything at various college and university campuses. It is organized by school and a user can add a school if it's not already in the system.

I had a look and, while the content is pretty nasty, it's still in its infancy and nothing that I would be too worried about yet. Mostly students calling other students names or talking smack about them. I do, however, foresee problems when it gets to the level of gossip and detrimental information posted about faculty and administration.

Discussion on the ICPL listserv has been debating about University policy "blocking" the site from campus access.

I've also read that the the Attorney General of the State of New Jersey recently sent a letter to all college and university presidents in NJ alerting them to the site and asking that they take steps to inform students of the potential problem and how to protect themselves from identity theft and online harrassment.

Has anyone else been informed of this site and are there actually campuses pursuing the blocking of JuicyCampus.com from their respective campus networks? I'm very curious.

Thank you,

James

Make Web-based changes or subscribe/unsubscribe at:

Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

RE: JuicyCampus.com

Branham  Paul
I am aware of this site from another networking site. It actually has a
few legal battles going on at the moment due to the nature of some of
the posts. That's about all I know of it though.

Paul Branham
Web Developer
Information Technologies
Central Wyoming College
2660 Peck Ave
Riverton, WY 82501
307.855.2160
[hidden email]

"The Americans have need of the telephone, but we do not. We have plenty
of messenger boys." - Sir William Preece, chief engineer of the British
Post Office, 1876.

[...]

http://listserver.itd.umich.edu/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?enter=uwebd&text_mode=0
. If you experience problems, contact list owner Terry Calhoun at
[hidden email].

Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at
http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

---
You are currently subscribed to [hidden email] as: [hidden email].
with the word UNSUBSCRIBE as the SUBJECT of the message.

Make Web-based changes or subscribe/unsubscribe at:

Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

RE: JuicyCampus.com

Ruderman, Dave
We ran into this site a while back.  We actually had a sponsored search
ad appear on it, and a donor questioned why we would advertise there (it
was an affiliate ad that we stopped after the fact).

This site was actually a subject of a talk show a few days after our
incident.  Many schools such as Loyola Marymount were trying to block
access to the site.  Many callers supported free speech rights.

I found out later that alledgedly Juicy Campus made up many of the
initial postings to fuel the fire.  If you Google Juicy Campus you'll
see all kinds of stories...

Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

Re: JuicyCampus.com

Scott Crevier
Blocking sites!? Holy cow. Not only would that be a huge no-no on our campus, but we'd be opening up a can of worms that must remain closed. I sure don't want to be the guy in charge of finding and blocking sites.

We welcome the free flow of ideas and discussions, whether those ideas are well thought out and productive, or whether they come from idiots whose only purpose is to gossip. The site says quite clearly that it's the "home of the juiciest college gossip." Anyone who trusts such a site for reliable information on anything is a bit messed up. I sure hope people would not choose to attend our school based on information from a self-proclaimed gossip site.

We don't block gossip sites. We don't block porn sites. We don't block political sites. We don't block sites. We have thousands of students who live here. This is their home, and they are free to use the internet.

--
Scott Crevier
Web Developer

"It's a great day to be a Knight!"

---
You are currently subscribed to [hidden email] as: [hidden email].
with the word UNSUBSCRIBE as the SUBJECT of the message.

Make Web-based changes or subscribe/unsubscribe at:

Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

Re: JuicyCampus.com

Meg Houston Maker
I'm with Scott. I shudder at the notion of an institution of learning
blocking access to information. What if you're researching
JuicyCampus? What if you're writing an article for the college
newspaper on them? Free speech is free speech. It's our job here in
academia to promote and defend that -- and to teach good judgment and
critical thinking skills.

On Sep 24, 2008, at 9:04 AM, Scott Crevier wrote:

>> Has anyone else been informed of this site and are there actually
>> campuses pursuing the blocking of JuicyCampus.com from their
>> respective campus networks?

---
You are currently subscribed to [hidden email] as: [hidden email].
with the word UNSUBSCRIBE as the SUBJECT of the message.

Make Web-based changes or subscribe/unsubscribe at:

Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

Re: JuicyCampus.com

Justin Floyd
Scott, you bring up an interesting point about the free flow of ideas, freedom of speech, access to internet resources etc. And, I agree with your point of view. (and here it comes) But, I work for a Community College we don't have residential students and we actually block a lot of stuff. Gaming sites, porn sites, social networking sites. It seem like the only way to enforce our appropriate use policy.

I'm very curious to know how other schools approach this from Community Colleges to Universities. What is the general consensus on blocking internet content? How do you enforce appropriate use policies? How do you protect school assets from mal ware and abuse without stepping all over constitutional rights like freedom of speech?

Maybe these are questions for another topic but it has really piqued my interest.

Justin Floyd
Web Designer
Cape Fear Community College
910-362-7234

CFCC Works! "Celebrating 50 Years of World-Class Workforce Training for Southeastern North Carolina"

E-mail correspondence to and from this address may be subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties by an authorized state official. (NCGS Ch. 132) ---
You are currently subscribed to [hidden email] as: [hidden email].
with the word UNSUBSCRIBE as the SUBJECT of the message.

Make Web-based changes or subscribe/unsubscribe at:

Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

Re: JuicyCampus.com

Branham  Paul

As another community college, we do not block sites either. The head of our arts department specializes in nude painting, and one of the courses she teaches is nude portraits. To block sites if they have questionable photographs when she’s doing research on that subject would limit her abilities as an artist.

Many on this list are support staff, but remember that many of the instructors may be doing secondary research regardless, and blocking a site may interfere with that research (as brought up earlier).

Additionally, another example, computer related. Is that you are teaching a course on using the Internet. One thing you might want to show them is a spoof or spyware type of website. Can’t do that if your firewall is blocking those sites, thus you eliminate a very important portion of somebody what to avoid when they are surfing the Internet as a new computer user. (ie. Retired folk coming to a community college to learn more about computers).

Thanks,

Paul Branham

Web Developer

Information Technologies

Central Wyoming College

2660 Peck Ave

Riverton, WY 82501

307.855.2160

[hidden email]

"The Americans have need of the telephone, but we do not. We have plenty of messenger boys." - Sir William Preece, chief engineer of the British Post Office, 1876.

Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

Re: JuicyCampus.com

Isaac Vetter

Not to mention that this conversation as well as others like it (all NJ
college/university presidents!) are a fabulous source of traffic for the
site.

Isaac Vetter
Purdue