Let's do a survey (was RE: [uwebd] Web Team positions)

Let's do a survey (was RE: [uwebd] Web Team positions)

Cambre, Aren

I’d like to suggest we do a survey as I think several questions could be answered at once. Here’s some suggested questions, and let me know if there are more. I can run the survey over SMU’s Qualtrics system:

Suggested questions:

1.       How many positions in your public affairs or marketing department are dedicated to digital marketing?

2.       List the positions and the percent of their time dedicated to digital marketing.

3.       How many positions in your information technology department are dedicated to digital marketing?

4.       List the positions and the percent of their time dedicated to digital marketing.

5.       Are you in public affairs/marketing, information technology, or another department?

6.       What does your department serve? Whole university, one administrative department, one school.

7.       How many students attend your university?

8.       Is this number student headcount (distinct students) or full-time equivalents (where part time students count as a fraction of a full time student)

9.       What platform(s) do you use for digital marketing?

“Digital marketing” for the purposes of this survey talks about activities and work related to public-facing communications and marketing. It would include almost anything on a public web site or other sites intended for public consumption. It would not include specifically inwards-facing work or products, such as portals, email campaigns to students, etc.

Any other questions that should be on this?

image001

Aren Cambre, D.Eng., '99, '03, '14
Director, Web Application Services
Office of Information Technology
Southern Methodist University

Re: Let's do a survey (was RE: [uwebd] Web Team positions)

April Hobbs Nutter

Also maybe a question about in-house vs vendor-supplied tech support/development? We’ve moved to web tech support through a vendor in the last few years – pros and cons – would be interested to see how others manage.

--

April Hobbs Nutter
Web Marketing Director

il Signature Blue

“I know as surely as I live and breathe the positive proof of what education can do for a man.” - Jesse Stuart

Re: Let's do a survey (was RE: [uwebd] Web Team positions)

Paul Bradley-2

Aren,

Backtracking slightly to some of the earlier questions about web resources at colleges and universities, there is some useful data in TERMINALFOUR’s annual website survey.

In the 2016 edition, pages 9-11 look at how web/marketing departments are organized and pages 23-24 look at website management.

Not a huge dataset, but some data nevertheless.

Anyone interested will have to go to the following link to download a copy of the report (if they haven’t already got one): https://www.terminalfour.com/blog/posts/2016-higher-education-web-survey-report-is-here.html

Cheers,

Paul Bradley

Twitter:        @OnCoFo

Blog:              Show Me The Data

Website:       eQAfy

LinkedIn:     Paul Bradley

Phone:          <a href="tel:+1%20416%20464%209771" title="North America Contact Number">+1 416 464 9771 | <a href="tel:+44%2020%203290%203573" title="Europe Contact Number">+44 20 3290 3573

We're looking at adding another position to our Web Team. My questions for you:

How many people are on your Web Team?

What are their positions?

Thank you!

Kristen

--

Kristen Titsworth

Web Services Director
Marketing Department

College of Southern Maryland

301-934-7742

You are currently subscribed to [hidden email]. To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email] with the subject line unsubscribe uwebd. Leave the message body blank. If you experience problems, contact list owner Eric Kreider at [hidden email]. More information is available at: http://www.uakron.edu/webteam/university-web-developers.dot

Re: Let's do a survey (was RE: [uwebd] Web Team positions)

Keeling, Diana

I would love the results of this survey.  I'm not quite sure how to word this but I think along with what platforms do you use, do those platforms consist of the entire university using them.  So, for example, at WKU, we have one CMS that the entire university uses that is essentially managed by Central IT.

--

Thank You,

Diana Keeling

Manager, Web Development Group

Enterprise Applications and Programming

Western Kentucky University

Re: Let's do a survey (was RE: [uwebd] Web Team positions)

Julia Gray
I'd also love to see this survey; we're doing strategic planning and looking at resource allocation (including people) so knowing what peers are doing would be helpful.

-Julia Gray
IT
Oakton Community College

Re: Let's do a survey (was RE: [uwebd] Web Team positions)

Gregg Banse-2
Diana,
I'd be happy to share - If the data is sent to me I can correlate it with the CMS survey data I have.

Gregg

Digital strategist and marketer prone to fits of curiosity.
Solver of digital puzzles. Architect of digital solutions.