Marking up site data with Schema.org

Director, Web Services
To help search engines understand what they're looking at when they crawl your site, you can use various formats (Microdata, RDFa, JSON-LD) to describe the data on your pages in more computer-friendly a way. This helps with SEO and helps Google know what to display on their pages when people search for things. For example, you can specify that someone is an alumnus of your institution, indicate that a page describes a course offering, or give a building's opening hours in a standardized format. See schema.org for details.

Does anyone have a good example of using this on a university/college site? Schema.org's documentation in this area seems a bit lacking (by contrast, they have a huge page on hotels) and I can't find any documentation elsewhere. For example, I'd like to mark up my faculty/staff directory data using JSON-LD (seems to be cleanest and most flexible) but I'm not sure I'm doing it correctly. In addition to specifying contact information, job titles, etc., I'd like to indicate what courses they teach and what department they're in.

Google's Structured Data Testing Tool is helpful, but I don't know if I'm actually saying what I think I'm saying, or if I could say it better.

For reference, here's a sample of what I have so far.
<script type="application/ld+json">
{
"@context": "http://schema.org/",
"@type": "schema:Person",
"schema:name": "Prof. Lorem Ipsum",
"schema:honorificPrefix": "Prof.",
"schema:givenName": "Lorem",
"schema:familyName": "Ipsum",
"schema:telephone": "555-555-5555",
"worksFor": {
   "@type": "CollegeOrUniversity",
   "name": "Bethany Lutheran College",
   "url": "https://www.blc.edu/"
},
"address": {
   "@type": "PostalAddress",
   "addressLocality": "Mankato",
   "addressRegion": "MN",
   "postalCode": "56001-6192",
   "streetAddress": "700 Luther Dr."
},
"schema:image": "https://___________.jpg",
"schema:jobTitle": "Coordinator - Lorem Ipsum",
"schema:url": "https://__________",
"workLocation": {
   "@type": "Place",
   "name": "MT 210",
   "url": "https://__________"
}
}
</script>

Re: Marking up site data with Schema.org

Annette Thomson-2
A couple years ago we added schema.org tags to our Person pages to test it out. To be honest, we've never gone back to truly test their effectiveness (and adding them to other page types has fallen to the bottom of our backlog list), but we aren't getting SEO complaints so I guess that means it's working as intended.

Example page: https://www.law.gwu.edu/michael-b-abramowicz

Thanks for sharing the structured data tool, that's very helpful.

--
Annette M. Thomson
Associate Director, Requirements & Support | Marketing & Creative Services

RE: Marking up site data with Schema.org

O'Neill, Michael J

Oooh….

I’ve done a fair bit of work with schema.org markup at my previous agency, and am slowly starting to spread it throughout our ecosystem here.  Haven’t tackled the people directory yet, but making inroads with events, program pages, news, and more.

You’re exactly right: in some ways, you’re on the wild frontier and the way you implement it today will be retired tomorrow…or lacking a clear standard, you’ll chose a less than ideal way to describe something.

In some ways, that’s the cost of doing business on the bleeding edge.  But, with that in mind...it looks like you have some pretty solid schema.org Person markup in place, and that you’re tying it to the CollegeOrUniversity entity type.  Well done.

I’ve never used the convention you are using for the elements. Example, where you use “
"schema:name": "Prof. Lorem Ipsum"”, I’d just use “name”: “Prof. Lorem Ipsum”.  Still, your json seems to validate just fine.

You might consider how you are going to semantically describe the relationship between department and CollegeOrUniversity.  Barring clear guidance on this, I’ve done the following for better or worse:

Dept is a schema.org/EducationOrganization entity that is a “memberOf” a “schema.org/CollegeOrUniversity” entity type that describes the college. This college is itself a memberOf the “CollegeOrUniversity” schema.org entity type that describes the parent University. (examples here and here)

I think there’s a ton of opportunity to describe classes using https://pending.schema.org/Course, and I’m tempted to revise my current implementations to accommodate educationalCredentialAwarded to help identify various degree programs content pages.

Would love to continue the conversation.  Schema.org collaborators can be few and far between in this space today.  But it’s growing in importance every day. J

-Michael

RE: Marking up site data with Schema.org

Bond, Dennis

We have also been working on this. I don’t have much to add to what’s been said, but your discussion so far is refreshingly familiar. We keep a demo website that shows the current capabilities and output of our various content types at http://www.canr.msu.edu/demo/ if that’s helpful to anyone. This includes our metadata and JSON-LD markup. Note that we are still in the early stages of a CMS rollout, so it’s not 100% working at present :)

Dennis Bond

Manager of Web Services

College of Agriculture and Natural Resources

Michigan State University

Re: Marking up site data with Schema.org

C. Daniel Chase-2
At my former employer, the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, I implemented this years ago. If you look at any of the profile pages across the campus departments, and review the source code you can see this. Here is an example profile where you can check the source:

You will note that there are also meta tags in the head section, and while Google and other search engines ignore them, we configured our GSA with a custom index utilizing them. Try searching for ‘people’ by category:

This was all generated within our CMS, OU Campus. It could be done most any system.

-Dan

--
C. Daniel Chase                                                  KK4WVM
http://about.me/danchase                           (423) 305-2255

On May 24, 2017, at 12:25 PM, Director, Web Services <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Bauserman, Andrew A
Just a thought, but Kevin Marks is pretty accessible online and has a broad background in tagging and web standards (co-founder of microformats.org). His Twitter, email, etc. are public - if anyone has the inclination to start a conversation...
 http://www.kevinmarks.com

--
Andrew Bauserman
Web & Design

Re: Marking up site data with Schema.org

C. Daniel Chase-2
Doug's separate thread about Dean Evans EMS reminded me that UTC also uses Schema.org tagging for eventshttps://schema.org/Event

Take a look at the source of this page for the events listed:

It is generated from a feed from Dean Evans EMS.

This has occasionally allowed some of our events to appear as rich text in Google search. (Attached is a search for "trombone night lookouts")

-Dan