Mobile Applications

Kreider,Eric W

Greetings all!

So, we’re doing a review of our current mobile application that will include an RPF. This is the general mobile app that I know a lot of you have.  Contains things like campus maps, people directories, bus route access, links to Library applications, email integration and maybe LMS and varying degrees of integration to SIS.

I have a few questions for the illustrious group:

1.       What vendors are you all using? (we do not have the time or resources to build in-house at this time)

2.       I would appreciate seeing any recent RFPs or RFIs that any of you have used for this purpose.

3.       Anecdotally, are you happy with your solution? Are there things you would do differently?

Thanks, in advance, for any help.

VENDORS: if you would like to have this RFP sent to your company, when its ready, please email me contact information OFF LIST at [hidden email]

-Eric

Eric Kreider

Director, Web Services

The University of Akron

(330)972-5303

[hidden email]

www.uakron.edu

Re: Mobile Applications

Mosinskis, Peter

Hi Eric,

We're using Modo Labs Kurogo platform. It's a strong platform, and their support has been great. If you'd like to discuss, further happy to chat off-list.

Thanks
Peter

___________________________
Peter Mosinskis, PMP
Director of IT Strategy
Division of Technology & Innovation (T&I)
California State University Channel Islands (CI)
One University Drive
Camarillo CA 93012 USA
+1 (805) 437-8587

RE: Mobile Applications

Cambre, Aren

We are having great problems with campus engagement. Despite a great deal of marketing to other departments, we are having difficulty gaining partnerships in solving business needs with our app.

This is not a negative reflection on our vendor. The app is great. We just, again, cannot gain traction.

image001

Aren Cambre, D.Eng., '99, '03, '14
Director, Web Application Services
Office of Information Technology
Southern Methodist University

RE: Mobile Applications

Aaron Rester-3

We are also using Kurogo. I wasn’t involved in the RFP process, so I can’t speak to that, but I agree with Peter about the strength of the platform – it can do much more than we’ve been able to so far, due to a lack of investment of time.

One caveat, though: the support is good, but I’ve found the documentation is frequently lacking. Many times I’ve struggled through their knowledge base trying to figure out why what I see on-screen is not what they are describing, only to find out after submitting a help ticket that the process described is hidden behind a permission that is turned off by default and has to be enabled by the Modo team (a pet peeve of mine).

--

Aaron Rester

Assistant Vice President, Web Development
Roosevelt University
430 S. Michigan Ave., Room 1153
Chicago, IL 60605
(312)322 7140
[hidden email]

RE: Mobile Applications

Leslie DuPree

I’m curious: Why a mobile app and not just a good mobile-friendly website(s)?

It seems to me that people (of all ages) are not willing to download and use an app unless it has a very specific, superior use for something they do often. And it has to be better than whatever they’re currently using.

One of our offices recently bought an app to promote campus events and attendance to students, and despite a lot of effort, it also never got real traction. I don’t know if anyone asked students if they wanted such an app. I don’t know where they get campus event information (guessing lots of places: website, bulletin boards, club emails, etc.) but this app was trying to fill a “need” they didn’t feel they had.

Leslie DuPree

Director of Web Services and New Media

Augustana College, Rock Island, Ill.

RE: Mobile Applications

Bob Crisler

I’m sending you fan mail from the west on this one.”Gotta be in the App Store” has faded in its bright-shininess, but still has not gone out.

There’s little a native app can do anymore than a web app can’t. But it becomes a religious argument almost. We’re developing a native app right now, and one of the charges to the design team is to duplicate it pixel for pixel (in mobile), and responsively for desktop, as a feature of our website. Still seeing some pushback on that from the person that’s doing the mobile app development because I think he wants it to be unique. (Which is obviously an ego motivation, not satisfying a user need.) Anyway, as Vonnegut said, “and so it goes.”

Bob

Robert Crisler

Director, Internet and Interactive Media

University Communication & Information Technology Services

University of Nebraska–Lincoln

1217 Q 238, Lincoln, NE 68588-0218

RE: Mobile Applications

Dempsey, Paul-2

I share Leslie’s perspective. I think people are attracted to the idea of an app without really thinking through what problem they are solving. We have the Ellucian Go app which in addition to campus news and events (pulled via RSS from our website) gives students access to their data from the Colleague SIS. Even with that feature, practically no one uses it. I think having a mobile-friendly site is much more important.

I’ve also been pushed a few times to look at apps to promote campus events. But these requests come from groups or offices that can’t even be bothered to post their events on our website calendar.

Paul

Paul Dempsey
Web Director
College Communications

Phone: 610-409-3165
[hidden email]
My Profile

Ursinus College

Ursinus College, 601 E. Main Street, Collegeville, PA 19426-1000

RE: Mobile Applications

Anderson, Will

I did a little research on app use/retention lately and found these data points:

·         Most smartphone users download zero apps per month.

·         The average app from the Google Play Store loses 95% of its daily active users within 90 day of install.

·         On average, smartphone users spend 78% of their time in just their top three apps.

Despite that, our Dean of Students office is planning to try an app using Oohlala. I’m cautiously optimistic: For the purely informational aspects of it, they are basically using it as a wrapper for other sites and web apps; the group chat function might replace a couple of our overloaded email listservs; it can slurp up an iCal feed to avoid double-entry of events; and it lets the Dean of Students send push notifications in case of emergencies.

As long as everyone is on the same page as far as a Create Once Publish Everywhere, the app becomes just one more channel without much additional effort after setup. At least, that’s my hope.

--Will

Will Anderson

Manager of Electronic Communications, University of Chicago Law School

773.702.4782

http://webcast-law.uchicago.edu/email-signatures/law-school-logo.png

I’m sending you fan mail from the west on this one.”Gotta be in the App Store” has faded in its bright-shininess, but still has not gone out.

There’s little a native app can do anymore than a web app can’t. But it becomes a religious argument almost. We’re developing a native app right now, and one of the charges to the design team is to duplicate it pixel for pixel (in mobile), and responsively for desktop, as a feature of our website. Still seeing some pushback on that from the person that’s doing the mobile app development because I think he wants it to be unique. (Which is obviously an ego motivation, not satisfying a user need.) Anyway, as Vonnegut said, “and so it goes.”

Bob

Image removed by sender.

Robert Crisler

Director, Internet and Interactive Media

University Communication & Information Technology Services

University of Nebraska–Lincoln

1217 Q 238, Lincoln, NE 68588-0218

RE: Mobile Applications

wbaumgardner@calbaptist.edu

In the past 3 years, we have stopped using two different vendor mobile apps. We found that Students just weren’t using them with any regular frequency (one could argue many of them never used them to begin with). Additionally, we were spending far too much in licensing and maintenance costs, so it became an easy decision to scuttle the apps and focus on existing websites.

On a somewhat related note, one challenge we have encountered is that students don’t often use the systems we provide for them. For example, our student service departments struggle with student communication because so many of them ignore their university issued email accounts, despite the fact that they are required to check them regularly. Most of our students only want to interact with university systems when it is convenient/necessary for them to complete whatever task they are working on (i.e. registering for a class, paying their tuition, etc.). Understanding how our students use our systems goes a long way towards finding pathways for supporting their usage habits. By the time they attending our university, they already have an established digital routine – most 18 year olds do not know a world without smart devices (and to many, email is an archaic form of communication). A sobering fact, but one that has been is important for us to understand. As a result, we are investigating SMS systems that will enable us to communicate directly with students and replace many of the emails we typically send them.

Thanks,

-Waylon

Waylon Baumgardner, M.S.I.T.

Senior Web Services Manager

Marketing and Communication

Office: 951.343.4876

[hidden email]

www.calbaptist.edu

California Baptist University, 8432 Magnolia Ave, Riverside, CA 92504

RE: Mobile Applications

Cambre, Aren

There’s a panache and perceived marketing value for presence in app stores. Panache is intangible, and I don’t know if the marketing value has really been verified.

I, too, see advantages in a mobile web site because you avoid all the added expense of managing an app. That said, I use apps for a few services that still have decent mobile web sites, like Facebook, Gmail, and LinkedIn.

image001

Aren Cambre, D.Eng., '99, '03, '14
Director, Web Application Services
Office of Information Technology
Southern Methodist University

RE: Mobile Applications

Aaron Rester-3

I was initially skeptical of the idea of a mobile app, myself, and saw it primarily as a stopgap until we were able to launch our responsive redesign (which we did in October).

However, I’ve come around as to its value, especially now being enrolled as a student as well as a staff member. Our app is very much aimed at current students, and as such they are much more easily incentivized to download and install it. The greatest value I see is the ability to surface things (for example, the ability to check your current course schedule, open computers in a lab, or even whether your laundry is done) that are useful to this audience that would otherwise be buried pretty deep within a website whose primary purpose is recruitment of new students. Many of these are systems external to the website, so a native app provides another (and in my experience, much faster) front door to interact with those systems, in addition to our website. Is this evidence of failings of our existing web apps? In many cases, yes. But some of those legacy systems (looking at you, Banner) aren’t going anywhere soon, so better to provide a good front-end experience for the students where and when possible.

I think the “killer app” for mobile apps, though, is the ability to do push notifications. You have to be really careful and thoughtful about how you use them, of course, so they don’t get ignored the way email does, but if you need to remind a large swath of the student body of, say, a critical financial aid deadline, a well-crafted push notification can be huge.

And, all of that said, of course – a mobile app requires at least as much care and feeding as website, and you need the staff to be able to run it properly.

--

Aaron Rester

Assistant Vice President, Web Development
Roosevelt University
430 S. Michigan Ave., Room 1153
Chicago, IL 60605
(312)322 7140
[hidden email]

RE: Mobile Applications

Cambre, Aren

This reflects SMU’s specific situation, so may not be applicable to all.

Our PeopleSoft ERP historically had no formal mobile compatibility. You could still make it work with a lot of pinching and zooming, but it is still hard to use. With our latest annual Peoplesoft upgrade, we now have their Fluid interface. Not all features are out yet due to product bugs, but it will provide native, fairly comprehensive student self-service functionality after not much more work. That eviscerates the one feature in our SMU Mobile app that generated the most traffic.

As for other disparate or deeply-linked systems that students may want to access for transactional purposes, I think they should be linkable from a portal lite, which would mainly be a single page app with links to these systems, possibly a dashboard or two if desired. If that page and these systems are mobile compatible and use single sign on, like SAML, then that would make this super useful to students.

image001

Aren Cambre, D.Eng., '99, '03, '14
Director, Web Application Services
Office of Information Technology
Southern Methodist University

RE: Mobile Applications

Kreider,Eric W

Not to call Leslie out. Especially as I tend to agree. I also see that Augustana has two apps listed in the android store. I suspect that, like here, there are rogue departments that have contracted for their own apps regardless. We do have a 99% responsive site and current Google Analytics numbers show that it is accessed by somewhere around 25% by mobile devices.  So I have a good feel for all of the work we put into this and want to leverage it as much as possible.

There is a lot of ‘us too’ pressure to have a presence in the app stores and lots of anecdotal evidence of a need by our current students. I suspect though that most of that comes from articles in trade publications and seeing applications produced by other schools.

That said, we have an app that we have been using and promoting for approximately 5 years. The app, in the past thirty days shows 13,000 unique visits. Nothing compared to 500,000 web visits over the same period.

The app users that we have spoken to directly have favorite channels within the app that they use regularly. The in-app statistics show our people directory and campus locations are the top two. Links to third party applications for Student Email (Gmail), LMS(D2L), and Bus Routes(DoubleMap) are used regularly. Thus, the application becomes a quick access menu to these services.

As we look at the upgrade the one addition that our departments seem to believe they want right now is notifications. We do not have push in our current app and will require it in the new application. I continue to caution our departments that notifications, to be effective, take a LOT of care and feeding. They’re almost never ‘set and forget’.

Thanks to all of you that have responded on this thread. It’s something that in a time of tight budgets we have to consider carefully and your responses have helped in the conversations here.

-Eric

Eric Kreider

Director, Web Services

(330)972-5303

[hidden email]

RE: Mobile Applications

Kristen Titsworth
Late to this convo, but we're using OohLaLa and have actually been pleasantly surprised with our adoption rates and how students have been using the app. We've had it for 2-3 years now.

The Campus Feed feature is one that we didn't realized would be so popular, but the students love it. I attribute part of this to us being a community college--since students take classes on different campuses and at different times, the app provides a centralized location where students can promote their events, sell textbooks, or ask questions.

It has become a great tool for student life, and we hope it will have a positive impact on student retention but we don't have that data yet.

It hasn't taken too much time to manage since the initial setup--mainly we make sure to look through the feed daily to answer any questions that come up that need an official 'college response' and to make sure there isn't any inappropriate content. Occasionally we post announcements as the college, but we try to leave it as a space for students to talk with other students so that we're not controlling the dialogue too much.

We are working now to integrate course schedules and LMS assignments/notifications so that they auto-populate on the app, which we think will add that missing piece that will add even more engagement.

Kristen

--
Kristen Titsworth
Web Services Director

>>> "Anderson, Will" <[hidden email]> 6/15/2017 12:00 PM >>>
I did a little research on app use/retention lately and found these data points:

·         The average app from the Google Play Store loses 95% of its daily active users within 90 day of install.

Despite that, our Dean of Students office is planning to try an app using Oohlala. I’m cautiously optimistic: For the purely informational aspects of it, they are basically using it as a wrapper for other sites and web apps; the group chat function might replace a couple of our overloaded email listservs; it can slurp up an iCal feed to avoid double-entry of events; and it lets the Dean of Students send push notifications in case of emergencies.

As long as everyone is on the same page as far as a Create Once Publish Everywhere, the app becomes just one more channel without much additional effort after setup. At least, that’s my hope.

--Will

Will Anderson
Manager of Electronic Communications, University of Chicago Law School
773.702.4782
http://webcast-law.uchicago.edu/email-signatures/law-school-logo.png

I’m sending you fan mail from the west on this one.”Gotta be in the App Store” has faded in its bright-shininess, but still has not gone out.

There’s little a native app can do anymore than a web app can’t. But it becomes a religious argument almost. We’re developing a native app right now, and one of the charges to the design team is to duplicate it pixel for pixel (in mobile), and responsively for desktop, as a feature of our website. Still seeing some pushback on that from the person that’s doing the mobile app development because I think he wants it to be unique. (Which is obviously an ego motivation, not satisfying a user need.) Anyway, as Vonnegut said, “and so it goes.”

Bob

Image removed by sender.
Robert Crisler
Director, Internet and Interactive Media
University Communication & Information Technology Services
University of Nebraska–Lincoln
1217 Q 238, Lincoln, NE 68588-0218
<a id="LPNoLP" href="tel:4024729878">402 472 9878