Pulling RSS in real time into Facebook?

Dylan Wilbanks
I'm really close to launching a school Facebook page, but I've run into a
problem. I'd like to pull our RSS news feeds into Facebook, but the main RSS
plugin doesn't automatically update the feed when there's a new story; you
have to refresh it every day.

I then considered the backchannel: running the news feed through Twitter,
then using the Twitter app in Facebook to pull the items in. But I can't get
the app to appear in Facebook, and it appears to be more suited for updating
Twitter, not pulling Twitter into Facebook.

My last attempt was to run everything through Friendfeed and use their app
to populate the mini-feed. Only one problem: You can't use the Friendfeed
app in Facebook pages, only in Facebook personal profiles.

So, I'm stuck. Any ideas how I can pull RSS into Facebook AND have it update
automatically without having to write my own app (which I really don't have
time to do?)

Thanks.
dw

Dylan Wilbanks
Web Producer
School of Public Health and Community Medicine
University of Washington
F-350 Health Sciences Bldg
1959 NE Pacific St
Box 357230
Seattle, WA 98195-7230
V: 206.221.6395
F: 206.543.3813
E: [hidden email]

---
You are currently subscribed to [hidden email] as: [hidden email].
with the word UNSUBSCRIBE as the SUBJECT of the message.

Make Web-based changes or subscribe/unsubscribe at:

Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

Re: Pulling RSS in real time into Facebook?

Brian Steere
When we launched our page, we encountered the same problem. The main thing behind this is facebook doesn't allow profile pages to be updated in real time. We ended up writing our own application that has a cron job run every 10 minutes to update the app.
--
Brian Steere
Web Developer/Programmer

So, I'm stuck. Any ideas how I can pull RSS into Facebook AND have it update
automatically without having to write my own app (which I really don't have
time to do?)

Thanks.
dw

--- You are currently subscribed to [hidden email] as: [hidden email]. To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email] with the word UNSUBSCRIBE as the SUBJECT of the message. Make Web-based changes or subscribe/unsubscribe at: http://listserver.itd.umich.edu/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?enter=uwebd&text_mode=0. If you experience problems, contact list owner Terry Calhoun at [hidden email]. Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

Re: Pulling RSS in real time into Facebook?

Paul A. Prewitt

Use the “notes” feature!

This feature is part of the default Facebook Profile applications and has been an essential part of Facebook from the beginning. I’m really surprised that people have missed it. There are a few draw backs (no editing after the fact – but come on do you really need that?). The positive part about this feature is that it is Fully integrated with the FEEDS so that when you import a post it gets published in your Feed and everyone will see it in the Feed section when they login.

From the “notes application import blog page”:
Import an External Blog

You can import posts from one external blog so that they appear along with your notes. Facebook will automatically update your notes whenever you write in your blog. Imported blog posts cannot be edited.

Please only import your own blog. If you import too many blog posts in a day, you could be blocked from writing or importing new notes, and this could result in your account being disabled.

Oh yeah remember to make sure your feed is setup properly so that the imports contain the correct data and links for full articles and stuff.

Example of a school using this is http://www.new.facebook.com/pages/Tucson-AZ/The-University-of-Arizona/6096033309 and we will be shortly!

Hope that helps!

With Pride in Arkansas,
Paul A. Prewitt
Electronic Communications Coordinator
Arkansas Alumni Association
P.O. Box 1070
Fayetteville, AR  72702
[hidden email]
Phone: 1-888-ARK-ALUM or (479) 575-2801
Fax:  (479) 575-5177
http://www.arkalum.org

Arkansas Alumni Association... Connecting and Serving the University of Arkansas Family

Recruit University of Arkansas students by referring a student or by attending a local college fair.

ü Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.

Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

Re: Pulling RSS in real time into Facebook?

Aaron Rester

On Oct 1, 2008, at 2:02 PM, Paul A. Prewitt wrote:

Use the “notes” feature!

I agree that "Notes" is great. The biggest drawback is that you can only pull in one feed at a time. Kind of a dealbreaker for me...

--
Aaron Rester
Manager of Electronic Communications

---
You are currently subscribed to [hidden email] as: [hidden email].
with the word UNSUBSCRIBE as the SUBJECT of the message.

Make Web-based changes or subscribe/unsubscribe at:

Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

Re: Pulling RSS in real time into Facebook?

Dan Lovejoy
Hey Aaron,
I think you could use Yahoo! Pipes to merge feeds together into one super feed.. (I think the Union module will merge 5 sources.)

-d

On Oct 1, 2008, at 3:49 PM, Aaron Rester wrote:

On Oct 1, 2008, at 2:02 PM, Paul A. Prewitt wrote:

Use the “notes” feature!

I agree that "Notes" is great. The biggest drawback is that you can only pull in one feed at a time. Kind of a dealbreaker for me...
---
You are currently subscribed to [hidden email] as: [hidden email].
with the word UNSUBSCRIBE as the SUBJECT of the message.

Make Web-based changes or subscribe/unsubscribe at:

Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

RE: Pulling RSS in real time into Facebook?

Lindsey Wilkerson
Hey Dylan -

I'm not an RSS expert, but would the RSS sub-element "ttl" (Time to Live)
work?

From http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/rss/rss.html:

"ttl" stands for time to live. It's a number of minutes that indicates how
long a channel can be cached before refreshing from the source.

More info -

http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/rss/rss.html#ltttlgtSubelementOfLtchannelgt

I'm not sure how, if at all, it would work for your needs. Anyway, just a
thought.

_______________________________________
Lindsey S. Wilkerson
Director of Web Services
The University of Louisiana Monroe
700 University Avenue
Monroe, LA  71209

Phone:    (318) 342-1530
Fax:        (318) 342-5446
E-mail:     [hidden email]
Web:       www.ulm.edu

Think Green before printing this e-mail.

---
You are currently subscribed to [hidden email] as: [hidden email].
with the word UNSUBSCRIBE as the SUBJECT of the message.

Make Web-based changes or subscribe/unsubscribe at:

Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

Re: Pulling RSS in real time into Facebook?

Dylan Wilbanks

Hey, that worked… except the RSS was too big and I just got a block thrown on that feature. Oops.

But thanks for the advice. I didn’t know you could do that.