RE: Active Calendar - Drupal Events

Smith, Brian J-2

Hi,

Does anyone use Drupal Events for their university or collegewide calendar? If so, does it work well?

Brian Smith

Web Flunky

University at Albany

Re: Active Calendar - Drupal Events

Bob Crisler

Brian -

Because of the diversity of calendars required (departmental, college, unit, top-level), we built and use our own UNL Events system (which hosts a ’network of calendars’) and syndicate data to our Drupal-based website. Here https://events.unl.edu  and an example of an embedded feed here (scroll down a bit) http://wdn.unl.edu.

All open source and open to your input and collaboration. Please let me know if you’d like more info.

Bob

wdn.unl.edu
The Web Developer Network holds a monthly meeting that provides the opportunity for all university website stakeholders to get together, network, and learn about ...

events.unl.edu
Open to students, faculty and staff. Walk-ins only, no appointments. Shots are free for students. Students 18 or younger must bring with them a 2016-17 Flu Shot Form ...

Robert Crisler

Director, Internet and Interactive Media

University Communication & Information Technology Services

University of Nebraska–Lincoln

1217 Q 238, Lincoln, NE 68588-0218

Re: Active Calendar - Drupal Events

kevin.g.barry

Well, that's great. I'm not sure if I'm being sarcastic or not on that.

We were one of the early ones to move to Active Calendar, and I have to say, we're still missing some of the features of Active Data Calendar 3.x. It's mostly fine, but definitely much more expensive, especially considering the service fee for each registration for paid events, and the additional fee for every calendar "site".

We really needed a better front-end UI, but didn't really have the time, space, or budget to do a full-on replacement without the vendor's help, so we went with it. The biggest problem for us is it's not much harder to both segment and aggregate events as we really need to without paying way too much more for additional calendar "sites". Workflow is missing, too.

I guess we'll wait and see.

Kevin Barry

Senior Director of Web Communications

WILMINGTON UNIVERSITY

47 Reads Way | New Castle, DE 19720

kevin.g.barry@...

Learn more about Wilmington University

Re: Active Calendar - Drupal Events

Lynn Zawie
We are in the same boat, just recently upgraded from 3. calendar. Although the interface is nicer now we have the same issue with the costs of adding new calendars. Also, our long time sales rep, Dave Lavigna is no longer there. He was one of the reasons we stuck with it for so long. We have only had the upgraded calendar up for a few months and so far no other complaints.

Lynn Zawie

Web Production Manager

Office of Communications & Marketing

Stony Brook University

144 Administration Building

Office: 631.632.4429

[hidden email]

Stony Brook University Far Beyond

--
Kathy Jensen
Director of Digital Communications | University Relations

University of Minnesota | umn.edu
[hidden email][hidden email]
[hidden email]612-624-5808

Re: Active Calendar - Drupal Events

Bob Crisler

Kathy -

Conference registration was/is out of scope for our calendar. We (mostly) use our Magento-based e-Commerce system for registrations. Were trying to minimize the ‘surface area’ for PCI stuff and have consolidated all of the online e-commerce (at least, on the academic side) into one service unit.

Bob

Robert Crisler

Director, Internet and Interactive Media

University Communication & Information Technology Services

University of Nebraska–Lincoln

1217 Q 238, Lincoln, NE 68588-0218

RE: Active Calendar - Drupal Events

Cambre, Aren

Are you talking about the Drupal Calendar module? If so, we investigated in 2009-2010 but didn’t proceed. I didn’t go forward since Drupal lacked an enterprise security model. For example, there was no way to prevent a person from the English department from editing an event created by a member of the Computer Science department. We had an additional talk with a well-regarded, local Drupal firm, and all they could come up with were expensive customizations (aaah, core product customization, the gift that keeps on giving!) or a complex workaround using the Organic Groups module.

While typing this, I poked around a few areas and don’t see significant change in the product. In fact, it seems my 2010 article Drupal doesn’t “get” enterprise remains valid. Drupal still appears to be only a departmental solution. Sure, you can coordinate multiple instances of Drupal to mimic an enterprise solution, but that is a costly kludge.

image001

Aren Cambre, D.Eng., '99, '03, '14
Director, Web Application Services
Office of Information Technology
Southern Methodist University

Re: Active Calendar - Drupal Events

Joe.Winton
We run the UNLV event calendar through our main Drupal installation. See https://www.unlv.edu/calendar

The contributed Drupal Calendar module did not do exactly want we wanted, so we wrote our own module.

- Joe

UNLV Logo

Joe Winton
Director of Web & Digital Strategy
University of Nevada, Las Vegas

[hidden email]

UNLV.edu  Twitter  Facebook  Instagram  YouTube