RE: Google Translate widget

Harwood, Catherine

Do any of you use the Google translate widget on any pages of your website? If so – any downsides to using that Google branded free product instead of some other option such as building a separate page in an alternate language? Any other translate tools anyone uses that may cost but have the advantage of not putting Google branding at the top of the page?

Thank you.

Catherine Harwood

Eastern Florida State College

Manager, Web and Social Media

Cocoa Campus, Building 13, Rm 124

321-433-5931 (Office)

321-243-0213 (Cell)

harwoodc@...

RE: Google Translate widget

Piero Tintori
Hi Catherine,
I would highly recommend not using any automated translation tool on your website. The quality just isn’t good enough and in some cases the translations came make you come across very poorly.

My view is that if a particular market is important to you, you need to create (at least) a microsite properly translated by professionals.

Just my two cents,
Regards,

Piero

Do any of you use the Google translate widget on any pages of your website? If so – any downsides to using that Google branded free product instead of some other option such as building a separate page in an alternate language? Any other translate tools anyone uses that may cost but have the advantage of not putting Google branding at the top of the page?

Thank you.

Catherine Harwood
Eastern Florida State College
Manager, Web and Social Media
Cocoa Campus, Building 13, Rm 124
321-433-5931 (Office)
321-243-0213 (Cell)
[hidden email]

------
This email has been scanned for spam and malware by The Email Laundry.

Re: Google Translate widget

Angelique Felgentreff
Hi Catherine,
In addition to language translation issues, the Google translate widget can break some page layouts. As an experiment, I added it to some of our more recently designed, responsive admission pages -- some of our layouts began to deteriorate with longer translated line lengths.
I did find that Bablic (https://www.bablic.com/) did a much better job of handling itself in our templates, although ultimately the Mills Marketing team decided to go the human translated route with a dedicated page to serve a single language.
Regards,
Angelique

Angelique Felgentreff ‘90
Mills College
Technical Projects Director
[hidden email]
510.430.3332
Lucie Stern Hall Rm. 17

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 2:37 PM, Harwood, Catherine <[hidden email]> wrote:

Do any of you use the Google translate widget on any pages of your website? If so – any downsides to using that Google branded free product instead of some other option such as building a separate page in an alternate language? Any other translate tools anyone uses that may cost but have the advantage of not putting Google branding at the top of the page?

Thank you.

Catherine Harwood

Eastern Florida State College

Manager, Web and Social Media

Cocoa Campus, Building 13, Rm 124

harwoodc@...

Re: Google Translate widget

Harwood, Catherine
Thanks Angelique as I noticed the same thing inside page accordions for instance -- translation breaks the formatting. I can see why dedicated, human translations are popular.

Catherine

Sent from my iPhone

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 2:37 PM, Harwood, Catherine <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
Do any of you use the Google translate widget on any pages of your website? If so – any downsides to using that Google branded free product instead of some other option such as building a separate page in an alternate language? Any other translate tools anyone uses that may cost but have the advantage of not putting Google branding at the top of the page?

Thank you.

Catherine Harwood
Eastern Florida State College
Manager, Web and Social Media
Cocoa Campus, Building 13, Rm 124
321-433-5931<tel:(321)%20433-5931> (Office)
321-243-0213<tel:(321)%20243-0213> (Cell)
[hidden email]<http://harwoodc@...>

You are currently subscribed to [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>.
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]> with the subject line unsubscribe uwebd. Leave the message body blank. If you experience problems, contact list owner Eric Kreider at [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>. More information is available at: http://www.uakron.edu/webteam/university-web-developers.dot

You are currently subscribed to [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>.
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]> with the subject line unsubscribe uwebd. Leave the message body blank. If you experience problems, contact list owner Eric Kreider at [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>. More information is available at: http://www.uakron.edu/webteam/university-web-developers.dot

RE: Google Translate widget

Trent Miles
Angelique, I'd be interested in seeing the dedicated page your team has created. We're considering going a similar route. Can you provide a link?

Trent Miles

Digital Communications Media Manager, Communications

Culver Academies 1300 Academy Road #122 Culver, IN 46511 | www.culver.org

[...]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.