ROI mobile apps for retention

Jon Shaw
Hello,

The college is looking into investing in a mobile app v mobile web app.  There
are some expensive options and we're trying to find information on other
schools ROI for retention increase.  Looking for pre-mobile app / post-mobile
app numbers, so it would be a longer-term view of course.

Thanks,

Jon

Re: ROI mobile apps for retention

Laudenslager, Kristin R
Hi Jon –
We did a web app a few years ago. We found that while people did download it, after that they didn’t use it. It was a nice novelty, but it only contained pretty the same content as the site  - and in some cases only linked back to the site. Plus, our students couldn’t use it to see or update their personal relevant student info. So, we abandoned the time & money expense and shifted to a responsive site design. In all fairness this was a few years ago, so perhaps your app will be more relevant and useful to your users. Best of luck to you!

###
Kristin Laudenslager
Director of Web Communications
[hidden email]
610-282-1100 x 1764

On 6/9/17, 2:02 PM, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

    Hello,

    The college is looking into investing in a mobile app v mobile web app.  There
    are some expensive options and we're trying to find information on other
    schools ROI for retention increase.  Looking for pre-mobile app / post-mobile
    app numbers, so it would be a longer-term view of course.

    Thanks,

    Jon

This message, together with any attachments, may contain confidential and/or privileged information and is intended only for the owner(s) of the e-mail address listed as the recipient of this message. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this email. Please notify the sender immediately by email if you have received this email by mistake and delete this email from your system. Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free, as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender, therefore, does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message which arise as a result of email transmission. If verification is required, please request a hard-copy version. DeSales University, 2755 Station Avenue, Center Valley, PA 18034 www.desales.edu

RE: ROI mobile apps for retention

Sorensen, Jeffrey T [ITUIS]
Jon,

Iowa State University (36,600 students) has invested quite a bit of time and effort in creating our "MyState" app. It is a native app written for both Android and iOS. There is a website for the app (www.mystate.iastate.edu) which has more details, modules, screens, etc. Anyone is welcome to download it and check it out.

It is a utility app and doesn't provide much towards actual classes. It's focus is on services like buses, dining, directory, maps, events, etc. The app is in its 4th major revision and has been around for about 5 years. One point of pride is that the application was written entirely by student employees. Full-time employees only provide guidance and API development for the app to use.

As far as retention, if you mean numbers on actual student enrollment retention, I suspect it is anecdotal at best, a drop in the bucket. I don't think anyone is attending or dropping out because of the MyState app.

If you're talking about app retention, in the first month of this spring semester (09 Jan 2017 - 09 Feb 2017) we had 25,700 active users use the app at least once; a weekly average of 19,600 users; and a daily (Mon-Fri) average of 13,800 users. The total number of active users for the academic year (09 Jan 2017 - 05 May 2017) was 49,800 users with 4.4M sessions. Loyalty of returning visitors who used the app 9 or more times was 96.3%.

Most of the information on the app is publicly accessible information and doesn't require authentication.

The CyRide (bus) screen is by far the most popular, in part because our buses use NextBus (www.nextbus.com) GPS reporting so you can see their routes, schedules, and the GPS information on the individual busses.

Dining is second in usage. This provides all the dining locations on campus, hours of operation, daily menus, etc.

Classes are third in usage. This requires authentication and pulls the individuals class schedule, which includes class sessions and locations, instructor contact information, directions to class, etc. They cannot register for classes with the app and it does not provide any class material.

The Campus Map is fourth in usage. It uses the Google API with individual building information, event locations, art on campus, etc. We've been told this is particularly valuable for new students trying to find their way around campus. The campus map also ties into many of the other components such as Dining and Classes.

There are lots of other modules which are popular but not used as frequently such as the Directory, Laundry, Career Fairs, etc.

Jeff Sorensen
Web Development Services, IT Services
Iowa State University
515-294-6654 / www.it.iastate.edu