Re: rotating images on home page

Meg Houston Maker
NPR's is nice: http://www.npr.org/
They do have a controller, which seems essential, as you want to let
your user back up to the prior image if that's the one that sparked
their interest.

> On Sep 24, 2008, at 7:26 AM, Inas Hamam wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are redesigning our home page and are considering adding rotating
> images that link to news stories on the page. We would like the
> images to
> rotate every 10 seconds. We are wondering whether having a tool bar
> that
> allows users to pause, play and jump to the next and previous
> images is
> necessary. My fear is that people who get to the home page and quickly
> click on a link may not even realize there are other images unless
> they
> see the toolbar. What do you think? Does anyone have any examples of
> rotating images, either with or without the toolbar, on their home
> pages
> that we can look at?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Inas

---
You are currently subscribed to [hidden email] as: [hidden email].
with the word UNSUBSCRIBE as the SUBJECT of the message.

Make Web-based changes or subscribe/unsubscribe at:

Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

RE: rotating images on home page

Walsh, Kathleen
We also use slideshow pro on our recent redesign of our hospital site,
has worked out great. Lots of options.

http://utmc.utoledo.edu/

[...]

http://listserver.itd.umich.edu/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?enter=uwebd&text_mode=0
. If you experience problems, contact list owner Terry Calhoun at
[hidden email].

Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at
http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

---
You are currently subscribed to [hidden email] as: [hidden email].
with the word UNSUBSCRIBE as the SUBJECT of the message.

Make Web-based changes or subscribe/unsubscribe at:

Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

Re: rotating images on home page

Justin Floyd
This is a Slideshow Pro instance on Cape Fear's home page. Some images link off to pages or news articles some do not. It transitions fairly quickly I'd have to check to see exactly. We have not included any user interface. But some of our slide shows on secondary and academic pages have fully navigable slide shows.

Justin Floyd
Web Designer
Cape Fear Community College
910-362-7234

CFCC Works! "Celebrating 50 Years of World-Class Workforce Training for Southeastern North Carolina"

E-mail correspondence to and from this address may be subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties by an authorized state official. (NCGS Ch. 132) ---
You are currently subscribed to [hidden email] as: [hidden email].
with the word UNSUBSCRIBE as the SUBJECT of the message.

Make Web-based changes or subscribe/unsubscribe at:

Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

RE: rotating images on home page

Chris Nixon
You can see one variation here with just images : http://www.uark.edu/home/
Here with some navigation added: http://www.uark.edu/home/current.php
And here with links to stories: http://researchfrontiers.uark.edu/

All this is SlideShow Pro

HTH

Chris Nixon
Director of Communication Technology Services
University Relations - University of Arkansas
800 Hotz Hall - Fayetteville, AR 72701
479-575-5629

Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

RE: rotating images on home page

Barber, Christopher Todd (Todd)
At http://www.utmem.edu we went with the javascript route.  We have a
set of 4 pictures, but give thumbnails so the user can click to
whichever one they want.  The initial page load is random, but there is
no auto-rotate.  We chose not to auto-rotate, because in some pre launch
studies, we were seeing that people weren't on the home page enough to
see more than one, at most two pictures.  Then when we sped up the
rotation to make people realize that the pictures were rotating, you
couldn't read the cut-line. We tried to combine the best of both worlds.
Showing all the available pictures, giving the user the ability to get
to the picture and/or story that sparked interest, and displaying a
random picture (of the group of 4) each time the page is refreshed.

To answer the question, for usability sake, I think that the user needs
the option to move around in the rotation. However that is implemented
will definitely differ, but I think the option should be there.

todd

=======
C. Todd Barber
IT Analyst III
Information Technology Services
University of Tennessee Health Science Center

Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

Re: rotating images on home page

Dan Lovejoy
Ours is strictly jquery - super simple (Not a university site)
http://www.alamode.com/

You can use that code and stick it into a CMS generated page very
easily as well. We change ours by switching out the HTML.

My successor at Oklahoma Christian University did a very nice one that
could be made to rotate very easily.
http://www.oc.edu/

In my view Flash is overkill for such a simple app. I also think it's
important that visitors be able to return to a previous image.

-d

---
You are currently subscribed to [hidden email] as: [hidden email].
with the word UNSUBSCRIBE as the SUBJECT of the message.

Make Web-based changes or subscribe/unsubscribe at:

Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

Re: rotating images on home page

Erica Goleman
There's a lot you can do with the Jquery Cycle plug-in:
http://malsup.com/jquery/cycle/

Erica

Inas Hamam wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We are redesigning our home page and are considering adding rotating
> images that link to news stories on the page. We would like the images to
> rotate every 10 seconds. We are wondering whether having a tool bar that
> allows users to pause, play and jump to the next and previous images is
> necessary. My fear is that people who get to the home page and quickly
> click on a link may not even realize there are other images unless they
> see the toolbar. What do you think? Does anyone have any examples of
> rotating images, either with or without the toolbar, on their home pages
> that we can look at?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Inas
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to [hidden email] as: [hidden email].
> with the word UNSUBSCRIBE as the SUBJECT of the message.
>
> Make Web-based changes or subscribe/unsubscribe at:
>
> Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

---
You are currently subscribed to [hidden email] as: [hidden email].
with the word UNSUBSCRIBE as the SUBJECT of the message.

Make Web-based changes or subscribe/unsubscribe at:

Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

Re: rotating images on home page

Jade Drewniak
Our MBA  is currently under redesign and we're building into their home
page the slideshow that is found at http://code.google.com/p/slideshow/
(or http://www.electricprism.com/aeron/slideshow/)

--

Jade Drewniak
Web Developer - Student and Academic Services

Inas Hamam wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We are redesigning our home page and are considering adding rotating
> images that link to news stories on the page. We would like the images to
> rotate every 10 seconds. We are wondering whether having a tool bar that
> allows users to pause, play and jump to the next and previous images is
> necessary. My fear is that people who get to the home page and quickly
> click on a link may not even realize there are other images unless they
> see the toolbar. What do you think? Does anyone have any examples of
> rotating images, either with or without the toolbar, on their home pages
> that we can look at?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Inas
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to [hidden email] as: [hidden email].
> with the word UNSUBSCRIBE as the SUBJECT of the message.
>
> Make Web-based changes or subscribe/unsubscribe at:
>
> Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

__
---

---
You are currently subscribed to [hidden email] as: [hidden email].
with the word UNSUBSCRIBE as the SUBJECT of the message.

Make Web-based changes or subscribe/unsubscribe at:

Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

RE: rotating images on home page

Stuart Bolton
Hi

Check out www.leedsmet.ac.uk

The site has a lot of rotating images some automatic (follow the 'VC
reflects' link) and some like the front page with a tool bar. Hope this is
helpful.

Kind Regards
Stu

email:   [hidden email]
tel:     0113 2672589
Mobile:  07903 344634
website: www.stuartbolton.com

Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

Re: rotating images on home page

Bill Dennen
Erica Goleman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> There's a lot you can do with the Jquery Cycle plug-in:
>  http://malsup.com/jquery/cycle/

Here's another one that looks interesting, too:

CrossSlide
http://www.gruppo4.com/~tobia/cross-slide.shtml

---
You are currently subscribed to [hidden email] as: [hidden email].
with the word UNSUBSCRIBE as the SUBJECT of the message.

Make Web-based changes or subscribe/unsubscribe at:

Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

rotating images on home page

Jeff Edward Dillon
I think Arizona State handles their image rotation very well http://www.asu.edu

Jeff Dillon
Web Applications Analyst Sr.
Northern Arizona University | nau.edu
928.523.3095

---
You are currently subscribed to [hidden email] as: [hidden email].
with the word UNSUBSCRIBE as the SUBJECT of the message.

Make Web-based changes or subscribe/unsubscribe at:

Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

RE: rotating images on home page

Michael Caruana
Inas,

It took us a year to convince management that rotating images with links was a good idea. The first day of web stats proved it - over 700% increase in traffic to the target page.

Unfortunately we only got permission for all images to link to our one video page, so the traffic has fallen off... but the concept was well proven.

I would suggest a play/pause toolbar thingy is overkill. Simply list a few other headlines beside the main story, people will realise they can rotate them manually.

Cheers,
Michael.

Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

RE: rotating images on home page

Kevin Lowey

Have a look at http://www.usask.ca/

We have rotating images. Each image links to a different web page
specifically for the person being highlighted.  We also have the
play/pause button.

In MSIE they will rotate automatically. Other browsers you get a
different picture each time you visit, and you can manually move through
them.

Sometimes the automatic rotating is annoying (like when I am using
remote desktop or a really slow connection). So we added a pause button
to stop the automatic rotation.

The images and writeups are controlled by our Communications office.

- Kevin.

Michael Caruana wrote:

> Inas,
>
> It took us a year to convince management that rotating images with links was a good idea. The first day of web stats proved it - over 700% increase in traffic to the target page.
>
> Unfortunately we only got permission for all images to link to our one video page, so the traffic has fallen off... but the concept was well proven.
>
> I would suggest a play/pause toolbar thingy is overkill. Simply list a few other headlines beside the main story, people will realise they can rotate them manually.
>
> Cheers,
> Michael.

---
You are currently subscribed to [hidden email] as: [hidden email].
with the word UNSUBSCRIBE as the SUBJECT of the message.

Make Web-based changes or subscribe/unsubscribe at:

Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

RE: rotating images on home page

Michael Powers
We're using Flash for our rotating images:

   http://www.iup.edu/

This was developed by an outside vendor for us.  The main issues have
been 1) the ginormous size of the images needed for this thing and 2)
the fact that the Flash animation doesn't cache them (if you wait for
the slideshow to loop, you'll end up re-downloading all the pictures
again).

When we redesign, I'm thinking of switching to a somewhat smaller
image (so the photography can look crisp without a huge file size)
and a JavaScript based solution (to make better use of client-side
caching).

Mike

--
Michael Powers, Ph.D. <[hidden email]>
724-357-3868

For fastest response, please direct questions
about the IUP website to [hidden email]

---
You are currently subscribed to [hidden email] as: [hidden email].
with the word UNSUBSCRIBE as the SUBJECT of the message.

Make Web-based changes or subscribe/unsubscribe at:

Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

RE: rotating images on home page

Cfredriks
Mike, that's enlightening.  There had to be reasons why Flash still isn't the be-all, end-all of rotating images.

Our homepage has the model you described and roll-over captions for a curved, four-celled graphic:

http://www.ucmerced.edu/

This design has suited our needs in that we can regularly introduce new impressions (photos) of our fledgling university, and fortunately, that has been praised on all levels.

Catherine Fredriks
Web Editor, Office of Communications
University of California, Merced
209.228.2933