Reminder for Vendors monitoring our list

Reminder for Vendors monitoring our list

Kreider,Eric W

Dear vendors,

When we reestablished this list in 2013 (yes folks it’s been three years since we moved from umich!) there was a fairly energetic conversation regarding whether or not we would or should allow non-university participation. At that time, it was decided that vendors had something to add to the conversation as long as we could depend on them NOT to use this as an email list for solicitations and so we continue to welcome their participation.

Personally, I feel strongly that the vendors DO provide interesting insights. But, this is not MY list I maintain it, selfishly, because it presents such a remarkable resource for the university community. I am sending this message in the hopes of nipping in the bud any behavior that may be contrary to the needs of the community. The members of the university community own this list and if they instruct me to, I can and will eliminate that element. Again, I believe that would be a shame as many vendors have added invaluable knowledge to our conversations in the past.

When requests for subscription come in, and I see every one, If I determine that it may not be a university affiliated address, I send the following as the user is subscribed:

“You have requested subscription to the University Webmasters and Developers list from a non-.edu address.

I will be happy to add you to the list. However, please be aware that while we find the information provided by our corporate members to be valuable and insightful, we do not appreciate solicitation for services or advertisement for products in our discussions on or off-list.

Thanks, and welcome to uwebd!”

Hopefully, this gentle reminder will avoid a discussion by the University list members regarding the ongoing participation of our friends in the corporate / vendor arena.

Thanks and happy uwebbing J

-Eric

Eric Kreider

Director, Web Services

The University of Akron

www.uakron.edu

Re: Reminder for Vendors monitoring our list

Adrian J Cooke

Hi Eric and list members,

Why not suspend any account that solicits?

Just a thought.

Regards,

Adrian

Adrian Cooke | Senior Web Information Architect

Marketing and Communications / Online Platforms
Rm 1-205 | 111 College Place
Syracuse, New York 13244

m 315.412.8188  e [hidden email]

SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY
syr.edu

Re: Reminder for Vendors monitoring our list

Aron Roberts
One data point, from my own involvement in managing an electronic mailing list for UC Berkeley's IT professionals for 24 years (and whose staff organization is now approaching its 27th anniversary):

https://technology.berkeley.edu/news/micronet-celebrates-25-years

From an early point, our list has included vendor representatives as members. Our mailing list policy is a bit like Eric's for uwebd:

http://micronet.berkeley.edu/maillist#Policy

"The Micronet mailing list is only for carrying out official business of the University of California, Berkeley campus, specifically the discussion of issues pertinent to the organization's charter, and is not to be used for commercial announcements by outside parties or any other unrelated purposes."

We've found vendors' participation to be valuable and helpful to members. If any vendor is a bit ... enthusiastic ... on the list, or any member reports an unwanted solicitation from same, I've written that vendor privately to provide guidance regarding our policy and cultural norms.

That has occurred only on a few occasions. And so far, at least, that follow-up guidance - offered with a fairly light touch, and only when needed - has always been sufficient.

And to Eric: the text that you're sending to new, non-.edu list subscribers looks great!

Aron Roberts
Research IT - Office of the CIO

On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 8:07 AM, Adrian J Cooke <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Eric and list members,

Why not suspend any account that solicits?

Just a thought.

Regards,

Adrian

Adrian Cooke | Senior Web Information Architect

Marketing and Communications / Online Platforms
Rm 1-205 | 111 College Place
Syracuse, New York 13244

m <a href="tel:315.412.8188" value="+13154128188" target="_blank">315.412.8188  e [hidden email]

SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY
syr.edu

RE: Reminder for Vendors monitoring our list

Angela Burrell-2

Hi Eric,

I totally agree with your opinion about vendors. They may make valuable contributions, and IMO as long as they don’t solicit or advertise, they are welcome. And I think your text works well to convey that.

However, I am wondering if your non-.edu filter is on a case-by-case basis. You do have list members who are employees of legitimate post-secondary institutions that are located outside of the U.S. and therefore do not have an .edu e-mail address. Would those people receive such a message upon trying to join?

Thanks,

Angela

RE: Reminder for Vendors monitoring our list

Bradley Wagner
Hi all,

I wanted to take a minute to say I'm sorry for the recent behavior of my organization, Hannon Hill. It was absolutely an inappropriate use of the content of this list and I take full responsibility for it.

We really value the discussions on this list and being given the opportunity to be a part of the community. It helps us better understand our user communities and build exceptional products. And we hope that, in the appropriate circumstances, we too add insight and value.

At times, it can be a little difficult to recognize the line between providing insight and solicitation especially when the conversation is directly about our space. Of course, when people are looking for new products in our space, we get excited and we want the opportunity to tell you about ours so you can add us for consideration. But the rules of engagement are clear and we broke them.

We will do better.

Sorry and thanks,
Bradley

--
Bradley Wagner
VP EngineeringHannon Hill

Re: Reminder for Vendors monitoring our list

Georgy Cohen
A follow-up question - if someone posts asking, "does anyone know a vendor who does X?" and I work for a vendor who does X, is it kosher to respond (publicly on list or privately off-list)?

Thanks for the clarification!

--Georgy

On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 10:59 AM, Kreider,Eric W <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

GEORGY COHEN
ASSOCIATE CREATIVE DIRECTOR, DIGITAL STRATEGY

OHO INTERACTIVE
55 DAVIS SQUARE
SOMERVILLE, MA 02144
617-499-4933 | @radiofreegeorgy | oho.com

RE: Reminder for Vendors monitoring our list

Kreider,Eric W

I believe that it would be kosher for you to respond, on list, I do X. Feel free to contact me off-list if we (I) can help.

Any other opinions?

-Eric

Eric Kreider

Director, Web Services

Re: Reminder for Vendors monitoring our list

Thomas Meal

Agreed (and I was the person who got spammed a couple months ago): if people request vendor recommendations, then by all means.

Cordially,

Thomas

Thomas Meal 1469205684497_tjm-icon.gif

CAS Webmaster