Search options besides Google

Simonson, Kristi M

We have a Class Schedule that is generated afresh every morning as static html documents.

I’ve been asked to implement a search that students can use to search just this schedule. I took a look at Google Custom Search, but it has some shortcomings, particularly in how fast it discovers new pages and indexes them.

Can anyone recommend an alternate search system we might implement that can re-index the pages daily? It should also allow us to specify a search within a specific semester, as more than one may be listed at a time. (That might be accomplished by a dynamically generated dropdown in the form.)

Kristi Simonson

Web Developer

Crafton Hills College

RE: Search options besides Google

Dempsey, Paul-2

If you’re searching through structured data like a class schedule, it would probably work better to create a custom app. Students could specify semester, department, class level, instructor, etc.

Can the process that generates the static html be modified? If you can get the information in an xml or csv format, you could create a form that lets student select the classes to be listed by searching through the data file.

Paul

Paul Dempsey
Web Director
College Communications

Phone: 610-409-3165
[hidden email]
My Profile

Ursinus College

Ursinus College, 601 E. Main Street, Collegeville, PA 19426-1000

Re: Search options besides Google

Greg Marshall
We used to run a Thunderstone Search Appliance. It wasn't too expensive and worked fairly well. We have since switched to a Google Search Appliance which works very well.
For a small, consistent group of data, Thunderstone should have no problems.

If you want something cheap/free, you could look into Elastic Search (open source)

Greg

Truman State University

Greg Marshall
Web Services Manager
IT Services
Truman State University
111C McClain Hall
100 E. Normal Avenue
Kirksville, MO 63501
(660) 785-4254

Don’t follow.  Pursue.

On Jan 23, 2017, at 11:28 AM, Simonson, Kristi M <[hidden email]> wrote:

We have a Class Schedule that is generated afresh every morning as static html documents.

I’ve been asked to implement a search that students can use to search just this schedule. I took a look at Google Custom Search, but it has some shortcomings, particularly in how fast it discovers new pages and indexes them.

Can anyone recommend an alternate search system we might implement that can re-index the pages daily? It should also allow us to specify a search within a specific semester, as more than one may be listed at a time. (That might be accomplished by a dynamically generated dropdown in the form.)

Kristi Simonson
Web Developer
Crafton Hills College
909-389-3568

You are currently subscribed to [hidden email].

RE: Search options besides Google

Kreider,Eric W

I agree with Paul. We have implemented a search that we built on our own application searching structured data. We don’t update daily only by semester but the frequency of update is unimportant.  You can see it here http://www.uakron.edu/academics_majors/class-search/#/class-search/

-Eric

Eric Kreider

Director, Web Services

RE: Search options besides Google

Jason R Pitoniak

We use an Apache Solr-based solution for a couple of similar searches.  Our’s are custom built, but if your collection is small, you could get away with using the free version of SearchBlox, which is based on Solr with an easy to use web UI in front of it.

If speed isn’t a huge issue for you, Sphider is a pretty easy-to-set-up PHP- and MySQL-based search engine.  Like SearchBlox, it’s web-based, but it’s free, though it hasn’t been updated in quite a while

https://lucene.apache.org/solr/

http://www.searchblox.com/

www.sphider.eu/

--Jason

______________________________________

Jason R. Pitoniak '00

Technical Team Lead

Information and Technology Services

Rochester Institute of Technology

Email: [hidden email]

Phone: 585.475.4186

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: The information transmitted, including attachments, is intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and destroy any copies of this information.

RE: Search options besides Google

Demers, Scott

We’re in the process of procuring Search Blox. Too early to tell whether it’s any good, but we have high hopes.

Scott DeMers  |   Web Development Manager
Web Services

Enterprise Application Services

Office of Information Technology

CU Denver : CU Anschutz Medical Campus

http://www.ucdenver.edu/uws
303 315 3685  |  [hidden email]

RE: Search options besides Google

Gregg Banse-2
A search engine I used to employ on client sites (when I worked in the commercial world) was Fluid Dynamics Search Engine. It's not supported anymore but still available for download. Very customizable as I recall.

Gregg

Digital strategist and marketer prone to fits of curiosity.
Solver of digital puzzles. Architect of digital solutions.

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 3:47 PM, Jason R Pitoniak <[hidden email]> wrote:

We use an Apache Solr-based solution for a couple of similar searches.  Our’s are custom built, but if your collection is small, you could get away with using the free version of SearchBlox, which is based on Solr with an easy to use web UI in front of it.

If speed isn’t a huge issue for you, Sphider is a pretty easy-to-set-up PHP- and MySQL-based search engine.  Like SearchBlox, it’s web-based, but it’s free, though it hasn’t been updated in quite a while

https://lucene.apache.org/solr/

http://www.searchblox.com/

www.sphider.eu/

--Jason

______________________________________

Jason R. Pitoniak '00

Technical Team Lead

Information and Technology Services

Rochester Institute of Technology

Email: [hidden email]

Phone: <a href="tel:(585)%20475-4186" value="+15854754186" target="_blank">585.475.4186

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: The information transmitted, including attachments, is intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and destroy any copies of this information.

RE: Search options besides Google

Matt Ryan-2
For a course search it really does bring a lot of user benefit to provide a structured search of structured data, whether you roll your own or plug it into a search system. Being able to distinguish between the class on Bertrand Russel and the class taught by Russel Smith, or see classes that meet a particular requirement or meet at a particular time is really appreciated by our faculty and staff.

Here is our solution, which is similar to Akron's:

Matt Ryan
Carleton College

[...]

image001.png (8K) Download Attachment