Sharepoint for Web front end

Barry Miller
Hello,

I've just joined the list and am curious if any of you have experience
with Sharepoint as a front end CMS tool. Most people I have talked to
have experience with its document management/collaboration features
only. I'd also like to hear opinions about how it compares to other
CMSs, e.g. Drupal, Joomla, Commonspot, etc.

Look forward to hearing from you.

thanks.
Barry

---
You are currently subscribed to [hidden email] as: [hidden email].
with the word UNSUBSCRIBE as the SUBJECT of the message.

Make Web-based changes or subscribe/unsubscribe at:

Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

Re: Sharepoint for Web front end

Dan Lovejoy
Hey Barry,
When we looked into it several years ago, everyone thought it was
pretty nifty, but the resource footprint was huge. Lots of processor
overhead for a public site. That may have changed.

Here is one site I know runs on Sharepoint:
http://www.cngnow.com/EN-US/Pages/default.aspx

You've probably seen this:
http://www.cmswatch.com/About/Press/200704MOSS/

As an alternative, if you are heavily Microsoft committed, I might
suggest dotNetNuke. I know folks whom I respect who are quite enamored
of it.

-dhl

On Oct 1, 2008, at 3:14 PM, Barry Miller wrote:

> I've just joined the list and am curious if any of you have
> experience with Sharepoint as a front end CMS tool. Most people I
> have talked to have experience with its document management/
> collaboration features only. I'd also like to hear opinions about
> how it compares to other CMSs, e.g. Drupal, Joomla, Commonspot, etc.

---
You are currently subscribed to [hidden email] as: [hidden email].
with the word UNSUBSCRIBE as the SUBJECT of the message.

Make Web-based changes or subscribe/unsubscribe at:

Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

Re: Sharepoint for Web front end

Angela French
I believe this one uses Sharepoint also:
http://www.dnr.wa.gov/Pages/default.aspx

When we looked into it several years ago, everyone thought it was
pretty nifty, but the resource footprint was huge. Lots of processor
overhead for a public site. That may have changed.

Here is one site I know runs on Sharepoint:
http://www.cngnow.com/EN-US/Pages/default.aspx

You've probably seen this:
http://www.cmswatch.com/About/Press/200704MOSS/

As an alternative, if you are heavily Microsoft committed, I might
suggest dotNetNuke. I know folks whom I respect who are quite enamored
of it.

-dhl

On Oct 1, 2008, at 3:14 PM, Barry Miller wrote:

> I've just joined the list and am curious if any of you have
> experience with Sharepoint as a front end CMS tool. Most people I
> have talked to have experience with its document management/
> collaboration features only. I'd also like to hear opinions about
> how it compares to other CMSs, e.g. Drupal, Joomla, Commonspot, etc.

---
You are currently subscribed to [hidden email] as: [hidden email].
with the word UNSUBSCRIBE as the SUBJECT of the message.

Make Web-based changes or subscribe/unsubscribe at:
http://listserver.itd.umich.edu/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?enter=uwebd&text_mode=0
. If you experience problems, contact list owner Terry Calhoun at
[hidden email].