Student Web Hosting

Chris Wammes

I'm looking for recommendations for hosting student web sites.  These would be more for personal websites or sites created for a class, not for student organziations.  We currently have a Wordpress installation they can use, however after they graduate their account would disabled so they can no longer maintain the site.  We're looking for alternatives that they can use while in school then maintain after graduation.

Thanks,

Chris

__________________________

Chris Wammes

Application Development Supervisor

Information Technology Services

Bowling Green State University

Phone:  (419) 372-3460

Re: Student Web Hosting

McBride, Ian S.

This would be overkill if you're just doing once for a single course (in which case I'd suggest WordPress.com or GitHub pages), but we just rolled out this service to our students last week:

https://reclaimhosting.com/

It's managed by a different office than my own, but I've signed up for it and spun up an instance of WordPress. It's a basic cPanel setup.

This is our instance of the service: https://middcreate.net/

Ian McBride

Middlebury College

Re: Student Web Hosting

Mosinskis, Peter

​+1 on Reclaim Hosting, we use it as well and we love it. We even use it for one-off projects.

FYI Reclaim spun off from the Domain of One's Own initiative at University of Mary Washington:

http://umw.domains/about/

___________________________
Peter Mosinskis, PMP
Director of IT Strategy
Division of Technology & Communication (T&C)
California State University Channel Islands (CI)
One University Drive
Camarillo CA 93012 USA
+1 (805) 437-8587

Re: Student Web Hosting

Bauserman, Andrew A
Along these lines... has anyone implemented Known for Education?
  https://withknown.com/education/

Known itself is open-source. Single-site hosting for education (up to 200 users) is $6/mo. Discounts apply for bulk hosting. And there is an option for self-hosting the education branded & supported version as well.

Supports full per-user export as you'd expect from an open-source product... as well as single sign-on (SAML, LTI & LDAP) and many syndication options.

--
Andrew Bauserman
University Web & Design