Student e-mails

Kristen Titsworth
Hi all,

We've been in an on-going battle about getting student e-mails (about 15 years too late, in my opinion), and I'm curious to hear about how other colleges communicate with and market to students via e-mail.

1) Do you have student e-mails? What solution are you using (Gmail, MS365, Windows Live, etc), and would you recommend it?

2) Do you send marketing messages and official communications (like from the Bursar) to students via e-mail? If so, personal or school e-mail?

3) How do you send to groups? Groups in Gmail? Listservs? Or through a service like ConstantContact or ExactTarget?

Any and all input is welcome.

Thank you!

Kristen

--
Kristen Titsworth
Web Services Director

RE: Student e-mails

Brady, Jason W

> 1) Do you have student e-mails? What solution are you using (Gmail, MS365, Windows Live, etc), and would you recommend it?

Gmail. Our students voted for Gmail instead of Office 365 when asked (was before Office 365 was so big though). It has worked out well so far, so yes I would recommend it. However, there are some features you can’t use if your Faculty and Students are on different services, so keep that in mind. Things like sharing documents with only their class (or at least it use to require they be on the same system, been a while since I checked).

> 2) Do you send marketing messages and official communications (like from the Bursar) to students via e-mail? If so, personal or school e-mail?

We try to send most emails to the school email. Only emergency or special exceptions get sent to personal emails as well. We are in the process of changing this to where emails go to both, but they can’t unsubscribe from emergency lists, just non-emergency ones.

> 3) How do you send to groups? Groups in Gmail? Listservs? Or through a service like ConstantContact or ExactTarget?

We use Regroup to send to lists of students. Either lists extracted from our SIS or lists created by staff for more specific groups.

Jason Brady * Web Developer * San Bernardino Community College District *

1289 Bryn Mawr Ave, Suite B, Redlands, CA 92374 *

Tel 909-384-8691 * Mobile 951-295-9515 * Fax 909-796-6579 * [hidden email]

Re: Student e-mails

Bruce Harper
On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 11:34 AM, Kristen wrote:

1) Do you have student e-mails? What solution are you using (Gmail, MS365, Windows Live, etc), and would you recommend it?

Virginia Tech has had student email for years. Several years ago, the whole university "Went Google" when the cost of maintaining in-house mail servers (both in equipment upgrades and personnel) was getting expensive. For a variety of reasons, the in-house Exchange system was retained (mainly because a lot of administrators were hooked on the shared calendars and to comply for certain research projects/funding that prohibited mail and documents being on foreign servers). In certain situations, students can be given an Exchange account if that level of access is needed.

2) Do you send marketing messages and official communications (like from the Bursar) to students via e-mail? If so, personal or school e-mail?

3) How do you send to groups? Groups in Gmail? Listservs? Or through a service like ConstantContact or ExactTarget?

For a few years now, there has been a weekly student email sent every Wednesday when classes are in session (starting the week before classes start). As part of being a student, it is implied that you will be sent this email to your school address. It is both a way to send official communications and to promote various events and activities. We were using Dada Mail for this and the daily new email, but a couple of months ago switched to using What Counts through Publicaster. We use Banner for administrative systems and support. There is an automatic job that runs every Friday that produces a report that lists all student email addresses and this is used to keep the What Counts list current.

There is a separate list where the public can sign up to receive the student email, also (mainly parents are the subscribers).

Bruce in Blacksburg
Virginia Tech Webmaster

-----

Bruce B. Harper, Virginia Tech Webmaster

University Relations/Creative Studio

University Gateway Center, Suite 2100

902 Prices Fork Road

Blacksburg, VA 24060

RE: Student e-mails

Jason R Pitoniak

1) Do you have student e-mails? What solution are you using (Gmail, MS365, Windows Live, etc), and would you recommend it?

We’ve used Gmail for probably about 6-7 years now.  While I’m not directly involved, I haven’t heard any complaints.  Faculty/Staff mail accounts are still hosted on internal Exchange servers, but we have the option of enabling Google Apps for our accounts so that we can access the non-email services of Google (though this is considered experimental and not officially ITS supported).  Our student email addresses use the domain g.rit.edu, but we also create aliases in Exchange so that students can use [hidden email] and so that students appear in our GAL.

2) Do you send marketing messages and official communications (like from the Bursar) to students via e-mail? If so, personal or school e-mail?

Official communications are generally sent to the student account.  We encourage students who don’t check their student email regularly to forward it to a personal account so that they won’t miss important messages.

3) How do you send to groups? Groups in Gmail? Listservs? Or through a service like ConstantContact or ExactTarget?

We have an internally built tool called MessageCenter that is used for official group announcements.  MessageCenter has a number of categories and recipients can opt to have messages delivered to their official email, to read the messages on our portal, or to opt out completely for all categories except the “Important Announcments” and “Emergency” categories.  A web interface is used to compose and send mesaages and, under the hood, recipients are added to giant mail enabled groups for the various categories they chose to receive by mail.  When someone sends a message, it is simply sent to the appropriate group addresses (there are separate groups for faculty, staff, and students) and Exchange takes care of getting the message into the right inboxes.  The system has its share of problems, but it works.

--Jason

Jason R. Pitoniak '00

Technical Team Lead

Information and Technology Services

Rochester Institute of Technology

Email: [hidden email]

Phone: 585.475.4186

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: The information transmitted, including attachments, is intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and destroy any copies of this information.