Time to convert site to new design?

Price, Tonya D
We currently have a 45,000 page web site using the Red Dot CMS system. Prior to my arriving the college hired a Web design firm to create a new site with new Red Dot templates. In a couple of months the design firm will deliver a new home page design, 14 new CMS templates, a series of modules, a style guide, 50 pages of content and a new site architecture. It has taken them 18 months to develop this and deliver it to us. They project it will take our Web team 36 months to reorganize the content into the new site architecture and migrate the content into the new design.

Has anyone else gone through a CMS to CMS conversion for a site this size? Did it take 3 years to build the site, put the content into a new site architecture and move migrate the content into the new design?

Would anyone share how long it took to redesign their site? Especially a site the size of this one? Was a CMS system involved?

Thanks,
Tonya

--
Tonya Price
Director, Marketing and Web Operations

---
You are currently subscribed to [hidden email] as: [hidden email].
with the word UNSUBSCRIBE as the SUBJECT of the message.

Make Web-based changes or subscribe/unsubscribe at:

Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

Re: Time to convert site to new design?

Jesse Rodgers
I think you have a good blog post there... I wouldn't be surprised if it
would take that long to migrate a large site into a new CMS if no
automation is available to you in higher ed. Would need more information
(people involved, where is the content now, state of markup, etc) to
properly assess if that time estimate is fair though...

Megan McDermott posted an overview of a template I developed for
Waterloo in 2003 under the Academic Department Sites thread. It went
'public' in 2004/05 and really didn't reach down into the majority of
sites until 2006. It took me 4 months to develop and document (that
original stuff was copy/pasted/moved) with a very focused set of
requirements: XHTML, CSS, Standards friendly, had to work in Dreamweaver
MX 2004, and later it needed to exploit some possibilities in Contribute 3.

The pages that template reached is well over 45 000, it was mostly
manual, and took about 24-36 months to reach 'everyone' including
development time of the original template. There are certainly
limitations with it and the assumptions in 2003 were already causing a
problem in 2006, but as an exercise in total site redo that is totally
manual I thought the time frame was pretty good. It isn't complicated,
assumes a certain pamphlet style site, etc. It would have never had the
uptake at the time if it was overly complicated as there were only a
handful (or less) of people hired to work on the web at the time.

I would be annoyed if a CMS implementation took longer than manually
doing it on a static site in Dreamweaver... if that is the case someone
or some group might be 'doin it wrong' somewhere in the process you are
enduring.

Jesse

Price, Tonya D wrote:

> Would anyone share how long it took to redesign their site? Especially a site the size of this one? Was a CMS system involved?

---
You are currently subscribed to [hidden email] as: [hidden email].
with the word UNSUBSCRIBE as the SUBJECT of the message.

Make Web-based changes or subscribe/unsubscribe at:

Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

Re: Time to convert site to new design?

David Mulder-3
Three years seems excessive if they're handing you completed designs and templates. You should find out what's behind that assumption.
--- You are currently subscribed to [hidden email] as: [hidden email]. To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email] with the word UNSUBSCRIBE as the SUBJECT of the message. Make Web-based changes or subscribe/unsubscribe at: http://listserver.itd.umich.edu/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?enter=uwebd&text_mode=0. If you experience problems, contact list owner Terry Calhoun at [hidden email]. Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

Re: Time to convert site to new design?

C. Daniel Chase

On Sep 24, 2008, at 6:29 AM, Price, Tonya D wrote:

<snip />

> Has anyone else gone through a CMS to CMS conversion for a site this
> size? Did it take 3 years to build the site, put the content into a
> new site architecture and move migrate the content into the new
> design?

Tonya-

While I don't currently manage a CMS-based site, I can say that the
core idea behind one is the ability to update your design almost
overnight! As long as your *content* was properly separated from
*design* in your initial CMS system, updating to a new template,
especially since this is still RedDot CMS, should be simple matter of
updating the templates.

However, two possibilities remain that may be the cause of the long
implementation time:

1.) During the initial CMS implementation, the content was not well
structured and 100% separated from the design.

2.) The new web design was not created with consideration for the
structure that was already in place.

Of course, it could be a little of both.

Be sure what you end up with gets the required separation & standards
compliance above all else. It will make it easier the next time... and
there will always be a 'next time' when it comes to redesign!

-Dan

--
C. Daniel Chase                              [hidden email]
IT & Systems Development Manager                     (303) 492-7174

---
You are currently subscribed to [hidden email] as: [hidden email].
with the word UNSUBSCRIBE as the SUBJECT of the message.

Make Web-based changes or subscribe/unsubscribe at:

Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

Re: Time to convert site to new design?

Dan Lovejoy
Hi Tonya, That estimate would give me pause. That sounds like a
timeline with a whole lot of manual conversion. If it's a RedDot -
RedDot conversion, what's going to take so long? Is it writing new
content? Testing? I would ask for a work breakdown structure and a
timeline to see what parts would be most time consuming and see if
they can be attacked differently.

-d
On Sep 24, 2008, at 7:29 AM, Price, Tonya D wrote:

> They project it will take our Web team 36 months to reorganize the
> content into the new site architecture and migrate the content into
> the new design.

---
You are currently subscribed to [hidden email] as: [hidden email].
with the word UNSUBSCRIBE as the SUBJECT of the message.

Make Web-based changes or subscribe/unsubscribe at:

Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

Re: Time to convert site to new design?

Christine Elias
Yeah, I agree -- you need a breakdown.
Seems like a very long time.

> > They project it will take our Web team 36 months to reorganize the
> > content into the new site architecture and migrate the content into
> > the new design.
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to [hidden email] as: [hidden email].
> with the word UNSUBSCRIBE as the SUBJECT of the message.
>
> Make Web-based changes or subscribe/unsubscribe at:
>
> Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

Christine Elias
Associate Director, Communications
Faculty of Arts and Science, University of Toronto
100 St. George Street, Toronto, ON  M5S 3G3
Phone: (416) 946-5499 | Fax: (416) 971-2374
Email: [hidden email]
Web: www.artsci.utoronto.ca

---
You are currently subscribed to [hidden email] as: [hidden email].
with the word UNSUBSCRIBE as the SUBJECT of the message.

Make Web-based changes or subscribe/unsubscribe at:

Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

Re: Time to convert site to new design?

Hopkins, Justin
I'm working on a migration right now - on the order of 1000 pages. I'm
looking to build the site and migrate all content in just a few months,
including integrating custom apps, etc. A web design project spanning 3
years is silly imho - the web will be different place in 3 years.

Justin

> > They project it will take our Web team 36 months to reorganize the
> > content into the new site architecture and migrate the content into

> > the new design.
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to [hidden email] as:
[hidden email].
> with the word UNSUBSCRIBE as the SUBJECT of the message.
>
> Make Web-based changes or subscribe/unsubscribe at:

http://listserver.itd.umich.edu/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?enter=uwebd&text_mode=0
. If you experience problems, contact list owner Terry Calhoun at
[hidden email].

> Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at
http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

Christine Elias
Associate Director, Communications
Faculty of Arts and Science, University of Toronto
100 St. George Street, Toronto, ON  M5S 3G3
Phone: (416) 946-5499 | Fax: (416) 971-2374
Email: [hidden email]
Web: www.artsci.utoronto.ca

---
You are currently subscribed to [hidden email] as:
[hidden email].
with the word UNSUBSCRIBE as the SUBJECT of the message.

Make Web-based changes or subscribe/unsubscribe at:
http://listserver.itd.umich.edu/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?enter=uwebd&text_mode=0
. If you experience problems, contact list owner Terry Calhoun at
[hidden email].

Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at
http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

---
You are currently subscribed to [hidden email] as: [hidden email].
with the word UNSUBSCRIBE as the SUBJECT of the message.

Make Web-based changes or subscribe/unsubscribe at:

Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

Re: Time to convert site to new design?

Jeff Barrus
It took our internal team -- including me and one other person -- about 6 months to move about 2000 pages into the new architecture of our site.  36 months seems a bit long -- you should be in the early stages of planning your next redesign in 36 months.

Jeff Barrus
Web and Multimedia Administrator
Office of Communications
The Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies
of the Johns Hopkins University

Email: [hidden email]
Phone: 202.663.7738
http://www.sais-jhu.edu

> > They project it will take our Web team 36 months to reorganize the
> > content into the new site architecture and migrate the content into
> > the new design.
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to [hidden email] as: [hidden email].
> with the word UNSUBSCRIBE as the SUBJECT of the message.
>
> Make Web-based changes or subscribe/unsubscribe at:
>
> Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

Christine Elias
Associate Director, Communications
Faculty of Arts and Science, University of Toronto
100 St. George Street, Toronto, ON  M5S 3G3
Phone: (416) 946-5499 | Fax: (416) 971-2374
Email: [hidden email]
Web: www.artsci.utoronto.ca

---
You are currently subscribed to [hidden email] as: [hidden email].
with the word UNSUBSCRIBE as the SUBJECT of the message.

Make Web-based changes or subscribe/unsubscribe at:

Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

---
You are currently subscribed to [hidden email] as: [hidden email].
with the word UNSUBSCRIBE as the SUBJECT of the message.

Make Web-based changes or subscribe/unsubscribe at:

Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

RE: Time to convert site to new design?

Branham  Paul
We recently updated the design of our site. In our homegrown CMS it took
about 2 months of on and off again time to get the update done. We only
had 5 templates to update, but with our CMS, the content is completely
separate from the templates allowing us to get it done fairly quickly.

3 years is definitely too long in my opinion.

Paul Branham
Web Developer
Information Technologies
Central Wyoming College
2660 Peck Ave
Riverton, WY 82501
307.855.2160
[hidden email]

"The Americans have need of the telephone, but we do not. We have plenty
of messenger boys." - Sir William Preece, chief engineer of the British
Post Office, 1876.

Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

RE: Time to convert site to new design?

Tran, Minh
I agree, three years is definitely too long considering the fact that
technology changes non-stop every day.
Minh
Minh Tran
Webmaster
Office of Communication Services
ENMU Station 6, 1500 S Ave K
Portales, NM 88130

Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

Re: Time to convert site to new design?

Jaeger, David
To help with your decision -- It has taken us approx 36 months migrate our entire Web site to a new web CMS using in-house staff. Some sites required complete overhaul, others migrated into the CMS as is, some were brand new sites.

2.5 FT developers, but not 100% dedicated to the project due to other priorities, and 1 person to help with graphics when needed.

Dave

David Jaeger, M.Ed.
Florida Gulf Coast University
Director of Web, E-Learning & Publication Services
Academic & Media Technology Services
Broadcast Building, Office #15
(239) 590-2315
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Florida has a very broad public records law.  As a result, any written communication created or received by Florida Gulf Coast University employees is subject to disclosure to the public and the media, upon request, unless otherwise exempt.  Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records.  If you do not want your email address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity.  Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.

> > They project it will take our Web team 36 months to reorganize the
> > content into the new site architecture and migrate the content into
> > the new design.
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to [hidden email] as: [hidden email].
> with the word UNSUBSCRIBE as the SUBJECT of the message.
>
> Make Web-based changes or subscribe/unsubscribe at:
>
> Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

Christine Elias
Associate Director, Communications
Faculty of Arts and Science, University of Toronto
100 St. George Street, Toronto, ON  M5S 3G3
Phone: (416) 946-5499 | Fax: (416) 971-2374
Email: [hidden email]
Web: www.artsci.utoronto.ca

---
You are currently subscribed to [hidden email] as: [hidden email].
with the word UNSUBSCRIBE as the SUBJECT of the message.

Make Web-based changes or subscribe/unsubscribe at:

Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

---
You are currently subscribed to [hidden email] as: [hidden email].
with the word UNSUBSCRIBE as the SUBJECT of the message.

Make Web-based changes or subscribe/unsubscribe at:

Visit uwebd's FAQ sheet, maintained by Kevin Lowey, at http://www.usask.ca/web_project/uwebd/.

Re: Time to convert site to new design?

Steve McConnell-2
Three years might not be advisable, or even acceptable, but sometimes
it's the reality, whether because of resources or bureaucracy or
personalities. At UC Berkeley, we launched our new gateway website
(several hundred pages, not several thousand, but no CMS) about three
months ago, roughly three and a quarter years after we started active
work on the redesign. And its predecessor had already been online for
five years at that point, giving us an 8+ year life cycle. I'm not
recommending this approach in the least, just noting that sometimes life
(and Luddites) get in the way.

Steve McConnell
Web news editor, UC Berkeley
[hidden email]