Ture or False - Portals are old school

12

Ture or False - Portals are old school

Smith, Brian J-2

Good morning,

In a meeting today an administrator said that portals are on their way out, passé etc… and that perhaps we should be looking to decommission ours.

True or False?

Brian Smith

Web Flunky

UAlbany

RE: Ture or False - Portals are old school

Bond, Dennis

That completely depends on what you mean by “portal”. The word has been used to death in my opinion and is now nearly meaningless.

Dennis Bond

Manager of Web Services

College of Agriculture and Natural Resources

Michigan State University

RE: Ture or False - Portals are old school

Cambre, Aren

Portals have not delivered. In higher ed, they were usually oversold, under-resourced (staff-wise), and overpriced. I have yet to see a truly good higher ed portal. I have consistently (and sometimes emphatically J) advised our senior leadership to not do a portal.

Often, the self-service features in SIS ERPs alone achieved the only part of a portal that had much value. Students don’t seem to mind logging into multiple systems, especially if you have single sign on, like Shibboleth.

Looking to the future, we need to be doing mobile gateways to resources, with limited integration into back-end services, and single sign on to all. That will meet the portal vision and meet expectations of our mobile society.

image001

Aren Cambre, D.Eng., '99, '03, '14
Director, Web Application Services
Office of Information Technology
Southern Methodist University

Re: Ture or False - Portals are old school

Sherman, Kevin

That’s funny, we’re considering them.

Honestly, it’s 100% about the execution. If they’re a rich experience, almost like a micro-social-network, I’d be willing to bet they are still very relevant and students will find them useful. I also think there is a ton of value if your portal is able to bring together a lot of information/resources into a common landing page.

Kevin Sherman

Web Developer, Benedictine University

(o): (630) 829-6640  |  (c): (224) 730-2083

"Work hard at work worth doing" — Theodore Roosevelt

Re: Ture or False - Portals are old school

Ed Hillis
By my very inexpert understanding of a portal, a website that can be dedicated to the internal community, and can hook into your identity system and so facilitate very individualized communication, I think it's probably the other way. As a concept, anyway, maybe more the way of the future. Hard to make a good one, though ;)

On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 8:54 AM, Smith, Brian J <[hidden email]> wrote:

Good morning,

In a meeting today an administrator said that portals are on their way out, passé etc… and that perhaps we should be looking to decommission ours.

True or False?

Brian Smith

Web Flunky

UAlbany

Ed Hillis
Webmaster
Southwestern University
512.863.1066

RE: Ture or False - Portals are old school

Bond, Dennis

In my opinion, the most important thing about the “single page” or “single index” concept of a “portal”, whether on mobile or in the traditional sense, is to understand its limitations. Kevin is right about the execution. I feel strongly that one of the metrics least understood these days is the number of people whose first “landing page” in a website is deep inside the site. This is super common now due to search, social, and email. However, our leadership still believes that home pages or “portals” of information are a common destination for visitors. This is untrue and getting less true every day.

Before I would try for a “portal” of information in the sense of an index of content, I’d try to ensure that relevant content was appearing on landing pages. For example, related entries and index pages being highlighted on articles and other documents. This helps people much more directly because it puts options into their hands where they actually are, not in a different location that will see fewer visitors.

--
Ed Hillis
Webmaster

RE: Ture or False - Portals are old school

Jennifer Loudiana
We are developing a portal that will be role specific, so the first group are graduate students, they log in and see only grad information and their schedule, advisor and information.  They see an online orientation they must complete too. They can go from there to other services since they are signed in already it is seamless.  We developed it in house with WordPress.  We are a small school.

Jennifer Loudiana
Walsh University

On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 10:16 AM, Ed Hillis <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Rob Saxon

Does anybody have the contact information for the presenter from Valdosta?

RE: Ture or False - Portals are old school

Rosenberger, Luke E

See http://2015.highedweb.org/psessions/detail/f3a4b02f-7e47-45aa-83ef-4d44d528ed6b for list of presenters for that presentation.

Some of those folks can be found in Valdosta State’s campus directory, others may have moved on.

This is also interesting: https://blog.valdosta.edu/webservices/category/myvsu/

Luke

Does anybody have the contact information for the presenter from Valdosta?

RE: Ture or False - Portals are old school

Rob Saxon

Thanks, Luke!

Some of those folks can be found in Valdosta State’s campus directory, others may have moved on.

This is also interesting: https://blog.valdosta.edu/webservices/category/myvsu/

Luke

Does anybody have the contact information for the presenter from Valdosta?

RE: Ture or False - Portals are old school

Bob Crisler

I've been thinking about this in the context of a notification center that would be available from any web page (and these same services would form the backbone of a web app). Like FB and Twitter and a ton of other well-understood experiences, the website would signal availability of notifications with a little red circle displaying the number denoting available notifications. The user would log in and see a Notification Center, a drop-down 'drawer' of content containing essentially just headline links from all of the administrative and advising systems that are critical to student success. Links like "Your tuition payment is due next Wednesday (linked to payment page);" "You have three exams this week. Use your time wisely (linked to LMS)," etc. Access would be provided on every page in the site as part of the global site elements. Individual pages within the site would also be personalized for the student where appropriate. For example, a Dining Services page might be smart enough to automatically serve up menus for the dining hall(s) that the logged-in student customarily uses.

To the original question, I don't think the problem is with the 'portal,' as technology, but in how even the concept embedded in the word 'portal' is all wrong. The concept presupposes that any elements of personalization in our websites can only be found through a magic door. Personalization should be pervasive. But to get there we have to have access to APIs, and vendors need to get a lot better about providing standards-based services rather than obscuring things behind proprietary lock-and-key.

Bob

____

Robert J Crisler
Director
Internet and Interactive Media
12th and Q Streets SE (enter west side)
a partnership of University Communication and Information Technology Services at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln
402-472-9878

Re: Ture or False - Portals are old school

RobinJBR
Aren Cambre from Southern Methodist University couldn't be more right. We have a Datatel portal (....), and a significant number of staff and faculty are resistant to using it for a variety of reasons such as poor navigation, user error, and the ever-popular "why can't we put everything on the public website.

Portals have to be easy to use and access because to laypeople the public website and a portal are the same thing. As web experts, we need to shoulder the responsibility of shifting that erroneous thinking.

Unfortunately for the original poster, I don't have a solution except to say: Portals are not passe. They just need better management.
Robin JB Ruetenik
St. Ambrose University, Davenport, IA
Director, Online Content and Training
@rjbruetenik

RE: Ture or False - Portals are old school

Julia Gray
There is also an article in Educause Review about the analytics, data and the portal

http://er.educause.edu/articles/2016/9/planting-the-seed-of-analytics

-Julia

On 10/21/2016 9:50 AM, Rob Saxon wrote:

Thanks, Luke!

Some of those folks can be found in Valdosta State’s campus directory, others may have moved on.

This is also interesting: https://blog.valdosta.edu/webservices/category/myvsu/

Luke

Does anybody have the contact information for the presenter from Valdosta?

In a meeting today an administrator said that portals are on their way out, passé etc… and that perhaps we should be looking to decommission ours.

True or False?

Brian Smith

Web Flunky

UAlbany

--

Ed Hillis

Webmaster

Southwestern University

<a moz-do-not-send="true" href="tel:512.863.1066" target="_blank">512.863.1066

Arranger | Input | Learner | Relator | Connectedness

Julia Gray, Manager of Web Services and RHC Technology Services

Oakton Community College
Ray Hartstein (Skokie) Campus, 7701 N. Lincoln, Skokie, IL 60077
Des Plaines Campus, 1600 E. Golf Road, Des Plaines, IL 60016
O: 847-635-1264 | F: 847-635-1764 attn: J. Gray

Email to or from Oakton Community College employees may be subject to disclosure
under the Illinois Freedom of Information Act. This communication is the property
of Oakton Community College and is intended only for use by the recipient identified.
If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the
sender and delete the original communication. Any distribution or copying of this
message without the College’s prior consent is prohibited.

Re: Ture or False - Portals are old school

Luis Menchu
I agree with Kevin, it is in the execution. If done well, there is a lot of value for the student. Doing it well is a lot of work and requires dedicated effort from people across the institution. Our portal is a key player in most discussions when introducing new tools for students and the importance of it has increased as we evolved away from lists of links to feature rich tools important to our students.

Our portal started as a link farm (and parts of it still are) but it has evolved as we've developed custom content. This really picked up the last few years as we focused on making the financial aid process more transparent to students and built out other custom tools around paying for college.

We get very positive feedback from students using MyPCC and see high use. The first day of the term will see over 70,000 logins. Yesterday, a Thursday in the fourth week of the term, we saw 17,000 people log in a total of 52,000 times. Right now on a quiet late Friday afternoon, we have around 1,200 people logged in.

For us, our portal is very valuable and, I believe, will be for a long time.

Luis

Luis Menchu
Web Services Manager
Portland Community College

On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 7:00 AM, Sherman, Kevin <[hidden email]> wrote:

That’s funny, we’re considering them.

Honestly, it’s 100% about the execution. If they’re a rich experience, almost like a micro-social-network, I’d be willing to bet they are still very relevant and students will find them useful. I also think there is a ton of value if your portal is able to bring together a lot of information/resources into a common landing page.

Kevin Sherman

Web Developer, Benedictine University

(o): <a href="tel:%28630%29%20829-6640" value="+16308296640" target="_blank">(630) 829-6640  |  (c): <a href="tel:%28224%29%20730-2083" value="+12247302083" target="_blank">(224) 730-2083

"Work hard at work worth doing" — Theodore Roosevelt

Re: Ture or False - Portals are old school

Gregg Banse
I'm torn over the idea of a portal. Part of me agrees with the positives mentioned but part of me thinks of it as a band aid over a larger issue with ia and content strategy.

Sent from OWA on Android
[...]

(o): <a href="tel:%28630%29%20829-6640" value="&#43;16308296640" target="_blank">(630) 829-6640  |  (c): <a href="tel:%28224%29%20730-2083" value="&#43;12247302083" target="_blank">(224) 730-2083

"Work hard at work worth doing" — Theodore Roosevelt

RE: Ture or False - Portals are old school

Joy Lynam

At at the University of Delaware, we implemented rSmart's OneCampus for our portal solution and it is functioning well. You can see it at My UD Business. We get about 40k unique visitors a month that include students, staff, faculty and parents/guardians. We have not incurred support calls and it has been self-service from our go live in August 2015. Previously, we used uPortal with custom coded, personalized channels that required much maintenance and broke when we changed ERP systems. Our OneCampus portal delivers access to over 700 UD forms and applications that we have identified within the system, supports SSO, and all business logic remains on UD servers. We have not replicated code, business logic or security within the portal, which was one of our goals for our portal solution.

I believe that rSmart's OneCampus will be at Educause this week.

Joy Lynam / UD

--
Joy Lynam
University of Delaware

RE: Ture or False - Portals are old school

carrie saarinen
I think visitor stats on portal usage can be misleading. I am a student at NEU which has a "portal" that I have to use to access the registrar's page and the finance office to pay bills. I could care less about the myriad of other things on the portal, like dining hall food celebrations, student of the week (that changes only monthly) and campus events (usually outdated). I would prefer to be able to go directly to the registrar's page and sign up for class there, or go directly to finance to pay for it. It's far too clicky to have to use the portal. Plus, all actions are annoyingly pop-up based. Page views and clicks on the portal are misleading; there is nothing there i want to see and only I click through because I am forced to, not because I want to.

LMS, and other academic portals, are just as bad as business application portals. After logging in to the LMS at NEU, I have to click a tab to get to my course list then click again to get to the home page of a course, then click to find the week, then click to access a single piece of content. It takes 7 clicks to get to the required weekly discussion topic. Imagine it taking 7 clicks to get to your daily calendar view on your phone, or 7 clicks to start sending someone a text message. My bank and my cell phone provider websites have better UX than my school applications do. Login in and one click to pay a bill. One, not 7.

I agree with Bob where he writes, "Personalization should be pervasive. But to get there we have to have access to APIs, and vendors need to get a lot better about providing standards-based services rather than obscuring things behind proprietary lock-and-key." Modern software companies are going this route, in both business and academic technologies, giving us opportunities for flexibility and customization.

But the other half of the equation is giving up campus-based control to let end users decide for themselves what they want to access and how they want to access it. Let users create their own information ecosystem through their campus profiles via their own devices and selected apps rather than force feed them content via clunky old portal pages.

Having a portal with drawers or display boxes telling me I have fees or tuition due is only helpful when I have fees or tuition due; the rest of the time its "nothing to see here!" so it shouldn't be a standard web page component; it should be a feed to whatever destination I choose. If I have three exams due, at least link to the individual exams, not just to the LMS (clicky UX) or, even better, let me choose to have them show up on my phone or Google calendar (API required).

Gregg mentioned content strategy. Its no longer about delivering content powers-that-be deems to be important, but its now making all information accessible then letting end users decide how, where and when they want to receive self-selected information.

Good conversation!
Cheers,
Carrie

On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 10:56 AM, Bob Crisler <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

There are two topics I wanted to add. OneCampus allows for several levels of announcements -- task specific, global announcement, and alerts. This Fall, UD will be implementing task announcements (which show as a badge on the task) and global announcements for things mostly related to IT like 2FA, password expiration, etc. Other schools like IU, Notre Dame and Pitt are already using OneCampus to do these types of announcements. The posting of announcements is configurable and can be distributed to business owners so announcements do not need to be moderated by IT. Individuals using OneCampus may keep or dismiss announcements and they are accumulated with the task for later referral, if needed. Personalized messaging is in the vendor's development queue and we are looking forward to another method to share holds, $$ due, registration appointments, etc.

The vendor is also developing interfaces so that we can distribute personalized content. We are interested in posting that a student has 40 meals left on their dining plan or employees have 2 vac days, for example. Students or staff would search for the task or click on their favorite and the data would appear on the task. No drilling through the app would be needed. We will be able to use APIs to show personalized content in the OneCampus system and secure it using our campus CAS credentials so no additional credentials are required. I have seen demos and am reassured that the API provides for the presentation and not the surrender of our private data.

When we did hands-on testing with our student groups, they told us that they totally rely on search, which is the foundation of the OneCampus portal. And, search overcomes the layering of pages to get to the destination that is inherent in web page navigation and some vendor's self-service portals. When we did staff hands-on testing, staff members told us that they wanted to bookmark forms they use most often and be able to organize those bookmarks. Search and favorites were delivered from the get-go in this product. At the IT Tech Fair today, staff told us that they use My UD Business as their home page. It has been functioning as a one stop shop for us without a support burden. From an IT perspective, it overcomes the changing of URLs due our continual migration or improvement of applications to more robust servers and resources since our uses don't have to keep bookmarks or links on core web pages up-to-date.

Sharing our story: https://campustechnology.com/Articles/2016/10/18/When-Portals-Retire.aspx

We are getting feedback that My UD Business is useful to our staff and students so we feel we achieved our goal to aggregate resources and offer them using this tool. UD is looking forward to digging into more delivered features and look features that are forthcoming. Joy / UD