University Social Media & Go Fund Me?

Laudenslager, Kristin R
Hello all - we have a beloved faculty member at our school who was just diagnosed with a terrible form of brain cancer. Someone in his inner circle created a GoFund me page that’s been spreading via personal social media accounts. But, our office is conflicted on whether or not it should be shared from our official university page(s).

On one hand, it's clearly the right thing to do - to show support for and do whatever we can to help one of our own at a terrible, terrible time.  And social media is a much more personal form of communication than, say a press release. On the other hand, does this open the door of expectation that the university supports personal causes? Does it even violate HIPPA?

Many thanks for your guidance.

P.S. If you’re so inclined, here’s his story: https://www.gofundme.com/thefochtfight

- Kristin :)
Kristin Laudenslager, MBA
formerly Kristin Greenberg
Director of Web Communications
610-282-1100 x 1764

This message, together with any attachments, may contain confidential and/or privileged information and is intended only for the owner(s) of the e-mail address listed as the recipient of this message. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this email. Please notify the sender immediately by email if you have received this email by mistake and delete this email from your system. Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free, as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender, therefore, does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message which arise as a result of email transmission. If verification is required, please request a hard-copy version. DeSales University, 2755 Station Avenue, Center Valley, PA 18034 www.desales.edu

Re: University Social Media & Go Fund Me?

Helen Jones-Toms
We recently had a similar issue with a long-term former staff member who had life-threatening injuries in a cross-country cycling accident.
We soft pedaled it (no pun intended).  We reposted different story that included the gofundme link.  Since we weren't the author we felt it was less pressure but honoring and acknowledging the individual in need.

On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 9:28 AM, Laudenslager, Kristin R <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Helen Jones-Toms, MNO
Director of Marketing & Communications
Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing
Case Western Reserve University
office: 216-368-6988
cell: 216-337-0888
Twitter: @fpbnursing

RE: University Social Media & Go Fund Me?

Sarah Cunningham-2

You probably would be opening the door to requests for all sorts of other fundraisers. It would be hard for the college to say no with this precedent in place.

There’s no reason you can’t share it on your personal accounts though. You’d be a lot more likely to reach people who know the person and would want donate too.

Sarah Cunningham
Web Editor for Academics
(518) 564-3978

SUNY Plattsburgh