Web Content

Jeanne Commette

I would like to know how universities and colleges are developing and maintaining website content and the processes involved.

  • Do you use content editors and what are their responsibilities?
  • Do you have a designated web writer/editor that edits and vets information prior to web posting?
  • Do you refer all content to communications/publications?
  • What role does communications/publications play in content development?
  • Do you have a workflow in place that we could use as a model?
  • Does your web development department write or approve content?

Thank you,

Jeanne M. Commette

Director of Web Development
and Internet Communications

ENDICOTT COLLEGE
376 Hale Street, Beverly, MA 01915

(978) 232-2344

www.endicott.edu

Re: Web Content

April Hobbs Nutter

Jeanne,

We are always trying to get a handle on that – currently we have a lot of web content maintainers across campus, but 4 staff located in Communications and Marketing dedicated to that. Two work specifically with academics (each of them has 2 colleges) and the other 2 work with student life, student success, admissions and financial aid and that has helped greatly. We herd as much content as we can through our office for editing/review/brand consistency, but we definitely control the top-level content.

I recommend the book Managing Chaos: Digital Governance by Design by Lisa Welchman. I don’t have it all figured out yet, but this book gave me some good ideas and really got me thinking about how governance should operate.

I hope this helps.

~April

--

April Hobbs Nutter
Web Marketing Director

“I know as surely as I live and breathe the positive proof of what education can do for a man.” - Jesse Stuart

RE: Web Content

Sarah Cunningham-2

Hi Jeanne,

We have a few layers to our site management:

·         College Web editors review, edit, and manage important-for-recruitment content (academics, admissions, etc.) before publish. We have only two people in this category, one in academic affairs and one in marketing/PR. Content for these areas is supplied by individual department writers.

·         Most other areas are managed by department content contributors who can publish their content without review.

·         Marketing/PR is generally not involved in the majority of the site’s content.

·         Marketing/PR writes PR, news, and admissions collateral.

·         Our Web policy supports a collaboration model between writers and editors. Departments know their audience better than anyone else, but need guidance on how to write, organize, and present content. The editors understand UX, know all the publication’s rules, and make sure pages support visitor needs, brand, and the college’s goals.

·         I can only speak for my workflow: content contributors submit content, I edit and publish it. Major edits get sent back for approval and nothing gets published until we are both satisfied with it. Sometimes I write for them if they are really stuck. They need to supply raw material for me to work with though.

Sarah Cunningham
Web Editor for Academics
(518) 564-3978

SUNY Plattsburgh
Feinberg 245
101 Broad St.
Plattsburgh, NY 12901
www.plattsburgh.edu

RE: Web Content

Jeanne Commette

Sarah,

Thank you – this is very helpful. We follow a very similar model at Endicott. I look forward to hearing how other schools are managing their content. We are restructuring our website and we are looking closely at how department and school content editors are managing their content. Jeanne