Web archiving + accreditiation site

Rosenberger, Luke E
I see there was a brief discussion of accreditation websites on this list back in September 2013, but I had a question that goes a little further:

Our understanding of the process is that our preliminary certification of compliance report needs to be provided to reviewers in a self-contained electronic format, i.e. a USB drive or optical disc. We are building our accreditation website in our CMS (Drupal), so we're thinking we could just use a web archiver like Heritrix to capture the accreditation website so that it could be sent out to reviewers on a USB drive as a self-contained report.

Does anyone have experience with using a web archiving software/service for a similar situation? Any advice you can provide? If this is a wrong-headed approach, I hope someone will set me straight before we tumble down the rabbit-hole.

Thanks,

Luke Rosenberger · Director ·
Web Initiatives & Services ·
UT Health Science Center San Antonio ·
7703 Floyd Curl Dr · San Antonio TX 78229-3900 ·
+1 210.567.2486 · [hidden email]

Re: Web archiving + accreditiation site

James Planck
Heh. This traffic might knock my dinky VPS offline, but here’s my notes for Httrack that was used exactly for this… twice now.

Afterward I still had to clean it up a bit, but this was a good low cost solution.

Jess

On Aug 15, 2016, at 9:24 AM, Rosenberger, Luke E <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

You are currently subscribed to [hidden email].

RE: Web archiving + accreditiation site

Rosenberger, Luke E

Thanks, James. I have also heard from one other institution so far that used HTTrack for this purpose. I appreciate the notes!

Best wishes,

Luke

[...]

To unsubscribe send an email to
[hidden email] with the subject line unsubscribe uwebd. Leave the message body blank. If you experience problems, contact list owner Eric Kreider at [hidden email]. More information is available at: http://www.uakron.edu/webteam/university-web-developers.dot

Re: Web archiving + accreditiation site

C. Daniel Chase-2
Luke-

I used to work with Heritrix when I was with the Smithsonian Institution Archives. It’s what they use to archive the SI.edu domain regularly.

However, be prepared for a complex system. You need to have a special system to READ the files for display. Not recommended for your archiving an accreditation site.

I have also done the same archiving of an accreditation site for UTC when I was there, and I used wget. Similar to httrack. It can crawl a site and save static HTML pages with all assets. If your pages are built properly with *relative* links you can save all the content on a flash drive or CD that we had to deliver at the time I did it, it can be browsed directly. I saved all the files locally to one folder, then did search & replace to fix all the non-relative links that creep in!

Have fun!

-Dan

--
C. Daniel Chase                                                  KK4WVM
http://about.me/danchase                           (423) 305-2255

Re: Web archiving + accreditiation site

Greg Marshall
If you’re on a Mac, SiteSucker works really well for making a local copy of a site.
It used to be free, but now I think it’s $5.

It will rewrite all links, download all resources, etc. There are quite a few settings so you can tweak how it behaves.

Greg

Truman State University

Greg Marshall
Web Services Manager
IT Services
Truman State University
111C McClain Hall
100 E. Normal Avenue
Kirksville, MO 63501
(660) 785-4254

Don’t follow.  Pursue.

Re: Web archiving + accreditiation site

Bauserman, Andrew A
+1 for SiteSucker. I've been using it for years. Simple and effective.

--
Andrew Bauserman
Web & Design