Webcams

Ryan LeBreton
Hi all,

Would anyone be willing to provide their recommendations for a stable, high-quality network camera/webcam? Beyond the camera itself, I'd be interested in learning about the methods you're employing to deliver imagery from the camera to the web - i.e., does the camera upload scheduled static images to a web server, do your users connect to the camera directly to view a video stream, do you live stream to YouTube, etc. and how it performs under high volumes of traffic.

Thanks in advance,
Ryan
_____________________________________

Ryan LeBreton
Senior Associate Director of Digital Communications
Bucknell University
570.577.3122

Re: Webcams

C. R. Santillo
Hi Ryan,

We have four: www.holycross.edu/webcams. They are Axis PTZ devices. The streaming provider service we use is http://hdontap.com. Each camera streams video to the service which in turn streams the output to the web viewer. The web visitor never interfaces directly with the camera. The service also allows for on-demand still image capture, archival video recording, and time lapse (which we are using for two of our construction projects). The service is scalable in the event of high traffic. While the cameras and service might be a bit overkill, we are very pleased with the result.

We just moved to this new configuration of devices and service a year ago. Please let me know if you have any other specific questions!

Christian

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 4:58 PM, Ryan LeBreton <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

Would anyone be willing to provide their recommendations for a stable, high-quality network camera/webcam? Beyond the camera itself, I'd be interested in learning about the methods you're employing to deliver imagery from the camera to the web - i.e., does the camera upload scheduled static images to a web server, do your users connect to the camera directly to view a video stream, do you live stream to YouTube, etc. and how it performs under high volumes of traffic.

Thanks in advance,
Ryan
_____________________________________

Ryan LeBreton
Senior Associate Director of Digital Communications
Bucknell University

CHRISTIAN R. SANTILLO
Associate Director for College Web Communications
College Marketing and Communications
[hidden email]
twitter: @csantillo
phone: (508) 793-2419
fax: (508) 793-2385
One College Street
Box PR- Hogan 311C
Worcester, Mass. 01610
www.holycross.edu

facebook twitter youtube instagram wordpress linkedin

Re: Webcams

Matthew Bundrick
We use Axis cameras as well for www.clemson.edu/webcams (a mixture of dome, ptz and fixed models, nearly all PoE)

Our setup is no where near as capable as what Christian mentioned (at the moment): camera ftp stills to server --> web frontend script that retrieves the stills every few hundred ms and outputs to effectively "stitch" together the stream. Occasionally we'll configure a cron to download an image every day or so for a time lapse video (i.e. building construction), but again, nothing fancy. We could probably take better use of the built in streaming capabilities or invest in some software, but no one has taken the time (or budget) to yet. This project started 15+ years ago with 1 camera and now we have 30 or so with no real resources dedicated to it.

MATT BUNDRICK | CLEMSON UNIVERSITY
Director of University Web Services
Creative Services | University Relations
e: [hidden email] | p: <a href="tel:864.656.5000" value="+18646565001" style="color:rgb(17,85,204)" target="_blank">864.656.5000

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 5:24 PM, Santillo, Christian R. <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

phone: <a href="tel:%28508%29%20793-2419" value="+15087932419" target="_blank">(508) 793-2419
fax: <a href="tel:%28508%29%20793-2385" value="+15087932385" target="_blank">(508) 793-2385
One College Street
Box PR- Hogan 311C
Worcester, Mass. 01610
www.holycross.edu

facebook twitter youtube instagram wordpress linkedin

To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email] with the subject line unsubscribe uwebd. Leave the message body blank. If you experience problems, contact list owner Eric Kreider at [hidden email]. More information is available at: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.uakron.edu_webteam_university-2Dweb-2Ddevelopers.dot&d=CwIDaQ&c=Ngd-ta5yRYsqeUsEDgxhcqsYYY1Xs5ogLxWPA_2Wlc4&r=fbxfuqMT1q5nxq6rwzj1xO4-TrqEZjZl8IvAh6Tw36A&m=tHkly4XzBY0UDCI6DY_MHbvHTdM6bqrE5I1Fm8_7Zcc&s=yNTza_i7XPa83ZSjfmfC8RXdVlSY9GUxaSvwHLob0zw&e=

Re: Webcams

Bruce Harper
On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 4:58 PM, Ryan wrote:

Would anyone be willing to provide their recommendations for a stable, high-quality network camera/webcam? Beyond the camera itself, I'd be interested in learning about the methods you're employing to deliver imagery from the camera to the web - i.e., does the camera upload scheduled static images to a web server, do your users connect to the camera directly to view a video stream, do you live stream to YouTube, etc. and how it performs under high volumes of traffic.

Virginia Tech has three Axis cameras and we have gone though several upgrades of cameras, all with Axis (see http://vtnews.vt.edu/webcams.html). We are in the process of reviewing camera locations and potential new places to move/put cameras. We for the longest time used a script to collect the feed from the camera to display on a web page, but there is a 20-connection limit in the camera. This led to problems when there was an event on the Drill Field in front of the camera, since only a few people could watch it. We tried running our own video server (several different programs) but never had great success. A web search turned up a number of companies that will stream video (at a variety of prices); we bought a license from CamStreamer (https://camstreamer.com) to send the feed through their server and on to YouTube. That gets us out of the loop of trying to provide a view to parents when their kid is marching in a Corps of Cadets review or they want to see the Relay for Life event. Getting it set up was a little tricky on the YouTube side, since it had to be connected to a Google account (we used the webmaster account so an individual wasn't tagged with it) then the account had to be monetized -- a formality since as an education customer we can't have ads -- but it still had to be turned on for the account. Once those hurdles were cleared, we were up and running.

Time-lapse videos are popular and we create them for various events that happen on the Drill Field (the large open area in the middle of our campus). I have an ftp server set up to receive the still images and schedule the camera to upload 4 images per minute for whatever duration of the event (usually early setup to the event and through tear-down). I use Time Lapse Assembler on my Mac to create the video from the images.

There are some in the division who aren't big on webcams, but the numbers keep them at bay. The cameras are a popular attraction, with numbers typically in the top 5 or 10 spots on the analytics report for the VT News page where they are linked from. There may not be a measurable return on the cost of a camera, but they do engender good will among alumni and parents who like to "check in" on the campus (especially when snow is predicted -- and the first snow is always a popular time lapse).

Bruce in Blacksburg
Virginia Tech Webmaster