Webcams - what purpose do they serve? (was Webcams)

Webcams - what purpose do they serve? (was Webcams)

Andrew Harris-3

Interested in the different setups, and curious to have a peek at your campuses, but does anyone have any evidence to support implementation of webcams? What’s the ROI?

Cheers,

Andrew

--

Andrew Harris | CMS Platform Support

External Relations | University Services

The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010 Australia

T: +61 3 8344 2865 | E: [hidden email]

From: Matthew Bundrick <[hidden email]>
Date: Thursday, 1 December 2016 at 5:22 am
Subject: Re: [uwebd] Webcams

We use Axis cameras as well for www.clemson.edu/webcams (a mixture of dome, ptz and fixed models, nearly all PoE)

Our setup is no where near as capable as what Christian mentioned (at the moment): camera ftp stills to server --> web frontend script that retrieves the stills every few hundred ms and outputs to effectively "stitch" together the stream. Occasionally we'll configure a cron to download an image every day or so for a time lapse video (i.e. building construction), but again, nothing fancy. We could probably take better use of the built in streaming capabilities or invest in some software, but no one has taken the time (or budget) to yet. This project started 15+ years ago with 1 camera and now we have 30 or so with no real resources dedicated to it.

MATT BUNDRICK | CLEMSON UNIVERSITY

Director of University Web Services

Creative Services | University Relations

e: [hidden email] | p: <a href="tel:864.656.5000" target="_blank">864.656.5000

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 5:24 PM, Santillo, Christian R. <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Ryan,

We have four: www.holycross.edu/webcams. They are Axis PTZ devices. The streaming provider service we use is http://hdontap.com. Each camera streams video to the service which in turn streams the output to the web viewer. The web visitor never interfaces directly with the camera. The service also allows for on-demand still image capture, archival video recording, and time lapse (which we are using for two of our construction projects). The service is scalable in the event of high traffic. While the cameras and service might be a bit overkill, we are very pleased with the result.

We just moved to this new configuration of devices and service a year ago. Please let me know if you have any other specific questions!

Christian

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 4:58 PM, Ryan LeBreton <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

Would anyone be willing to provide their recommendations for a stable, high-quality network camera/webcam? Beyond the camera itself, I'd be interested in learning about the methods you're employing to deliver imagery from the camera to the web - i.e., does the camera upload scheduled static images to a web server, do your users connect to the camera directly to view a video stream, do you live stream to YouTube, etc. and how it performs under high volumes of traffic.

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

_____________________________________

Ryan LeBreton

Senior Associate Director of Digital Communications

Bucknell University

--

CHRISTIAN R. SANTILLO
Associate Director for College Web Communications

Re: Webcams - what purpose do they serve? (was Webcams)

C. R. Santillo
Over the last six months, our webcam site has been around the 10th most popular page on our site. It's been immensely popular with alumni. Also, I don't have specific data to share, but I know it's been vital for fundraising and stewardship efforts around our current comprehensive fundraising campaign in which three new buildings are being constructed, one of which is in a new location 20 miles away from campus. While the cameras were down during the upgrade I can't tell you how many messages I received from various individuals (of course this is anecdotal evidence and not a true ROI calculation.

On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 4:38 PM, Andrew Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:

Interested in the different setups, and curious to have a peek at your campuses, but does anyone have any evidence to support implementation of webcams? What’s the ROI?

Cheers,

Andrew

--

Andrew Harris | CMS Platform Support

External Relations | University Services

The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010 Australia

T: <a href="tel:%2B61%203%208344%202865" value="+61383442865" target="_blank">+61 3 8344 2865 | E: [hidden email]

From: Matthew Bundrick <[hidden email]>
Date: Thursday, 1 December 2016 at 5:22 am

[...]

phone: (508) 793-2419
fax: (508) 793-2385
One College Street
Box PR- Hogan 311C
Worcester, Mass. 01610
www.holycross.edu

facebook twitter youtube instagram wordpress linkedin

Re: Webcams - what purpose do they serve? (was Webcams)

Jonathan Pierce
We took down our webcams early last summer for a variety of reasons. They had good use during construction of new buildings and modest use during the year. They had pretty solid internal traffic from commuter staff checking the weather on campus. Rather surprisingly,  I had a small flurry of messages wondering where the camera went from people with no connection to the school. Turns out getting your picture captured on our webcam was a task for geocaching and at least one treasure hunt!

Jonathan

---------------------------------------
Jonathan Pierce
Webmaster
Linfield College
900 SE Baker Street
McMinnville, OR 97128
www.linfield.edu
503.883.2490

Re: Webcams - what purpose do they serve? (was Webcams)

Ryan LeBreton
I'm glad you brought this up, Andrew. I thought about expanding my earlier message to include the question of the strategic value of webcams but then decided to limit it to the technical. I can honestly say that very little thought has been given to them here - probably because they're fairly inexpensive and relatively low-maintenance. Historically, theyve mostly been acquired on an ad hoc basis to support new construction efforts, occasionally at a donor's request, and then just remain in place indefinitely. I think that once we have a more stable video delivery mechanism and better viewing experience in place, we'll feel more comfortable considering their inclusion in marketing campaigns, but right now our setup just isn't reliable enough.

Our webcam page is far from the most popular, but we hear about it QUICKLY when one of the cameras malfunctions -- Like Jonathan said, usually from someone with no connection to the university.

Ryan

Ryan LeBreton
Senior Associate Director of Digital Communications
Bucknell University
570.577.3122