What could possibly go wrong? - A web development game show

123

What could possibly go wrong? - A web development game show

Christopher Tetta

Hi,

I’m teaching an introductory web design class here at Houghton College and I have an idea for a game show to help talk about the web design process.

It’s kind of “Family Feud” style where they would need to name possible things that could go wrong at the various stages of the process. (discovery, design, development, evaluation)

I’m looking for some suggestions for ways that a project often gets off track.

Thanks!

Chris Tetta

Web Coordinator

Houghton College

Re: What could possibly go wrong? - A web development game show

Laudenslager, Kristin R
Hi Chris -
GREAT IDEA!
I’m sure this was at the top of the list, but just in case -  HIPPO opinions. You know, the “I don’t like that color” or “my wife says my face looks scrunchy, can we reshoot all the photos?”  Not that I’ve heard those things here at this job … ;)

- Kristin :)
Kristin Laudenslager, MBA
Director of Web Communications
610-282-1100 x 1764

On Jan 7, 2017, at 12:58 PM, Christopher Tetta <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I’m teaching an introductory web design class here at Houghton College and I have an idea for a game show to help talk about the web design process.

It’s kind of “Family Feud” style where they would need to name possible things that could go wrong at the various stages of the process. (discovery, design, development, evaluation)

I’m looking for some suggestions for ways that a project often gets off track.

Thanks!

Chris Tetta
Web Coordinator
Houghton College

You are currently subscribed to [hidden email].

This message, together with any attachments, may contain confidential and/or privileged information and is intended only for the owner(s) of the e-mail address listed as the recipient of this message. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this email. Please notify the sender immediately by email if you have received this email by mistake and delete this email from your system. Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free, as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender, therefore, does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message which arise as a result of email transmission. If verification is required, please request a hard-copy version. DeSales University, 2755 Station Avenue, Center Valley, PA 18034 www.desales.edu

RE: What could possibly go wrong? - A web development game show

Sean Anderson-2

Chris,

Here are some things I’ve encountered with different projects.

·         Scope creep – “I like that but let’s do this instead. Oh, and also this, this, this, and this. You can do it. I have faith in you.”

·         Database server connectivity (server goes down but IT doesn’t notify anyone using it until after they receive complaints)

·         Browser compatibility

·         “I don’t like that. Start over.” – “THAT is what you asked for.”

I’d be interested to see the final list you compile.

Sean

Sean Anderson | Technology Librarian/Library Webmaster

James G. Gee Library

[hidden email]

PO Box 3011 | Commerce, TX 75429-3011

Tel. 903.468.8661 | Fax 903.886.5434 | www.tamuc.edu

RE: What could possibly go wrong? - A web development game show

Susan Hales

For me, the one that was weirdest and made me the most crazy was when the users themselves didn’t actually know how they did something and so kept changing the algorithm they gave me to implement. And of course it was my fault because I “didn’t understand.”

To be more specific, I was writing a system for a group who did fundraising for a non-profit.  An individual donor might make multiple contributions over the course of a year, and as someone’s donations increased, they became a  member of higher and higher “circles” (circle membership was indicated in donor reports).  I was given the dollar ranges for each “circle,”   and I was told that circle membership was based upon the total dollar donations for the current calendar year; I calculated each individual’s circle membership on the fly based on this data.  Once the system was complete, the same person informed me that I had it wrong; the circles weren’t defined by calendar year donations, but by fiscal year donations.  I made the change, after which I was told that the circles weren’t defined that way, but by the date of the most recent donation and back one year from that date. After I made that change, I was told that sometimes circle membership was calculated one way, and sometimes another way, depending.  But they couldn’t tell me what exactly it depended upon! (donor long-term history?  Whim of the day? Who knows?)  I had to explain that I couldn’t automatically set a value for a donor’s circle membership if they couldn’t give me a standard way to define that.  They found this baffling, and the issue never really got resolved to anyone’s satisfaction. And as you can imagine, it slowed the development a great deal.

Moral: Make needs analysis as detailed as possible, put it in writing, and have client/customer/user sign off on it. Drawback: they’re still gonna wanna change it.  :-)

--Sue Hales

Re: What could possibly go wrong? - A web development game show

Brian Gallagher
Here's a few off the top of my head:

Competing Priorities - Different stakeholders want different things.  Determine ultimate purpose of the site.
Creeping Featurism - Adding a feature because you can, not because it is important to the core purpose of the site
Utopian Budget - Not planning for testing and resolving issues, unexpected development time needed for novel features, not accounting for general admin/overhead, etc
No God(s) - There is nobody who has final authority to make decisions regarding the website and everything gets stuck in committee
No Goals - There is no way of measuring / determining the success of the project.  Metrics prove success.  Or at least if you chose the right metrics.
Poor Communication - People do not understand what they want or need
Mismanaged Expectations - Subset of Poor Communication, people get upset when what they get isn't what they expected.
Poor Technology Choice - People typically develop projects in the tech they already know, as opposed to determining what tech would be best solution for what they are trying to do.  Initial poor choices can severely impact project success and overall level of effort.

On Sat, Jan 7, 2017 at 12:58 PM, Christopher Tetta <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I’m teaching an introductory web design class here at Houghton College and I have an idea for a game show to help talk about the web design process.

It’s kind of “Family Feud” style where they would need to name possible things that could go wrong at the various stages of the process. (discovery, design, development, evaluation)

I’m looking for some suggestions for ways that a project often gets off track.

Thanks!

Chris Tetta

Web Coordinator

Houghton College

Brian Gallagher - Diamondsea.com / VirtCert.com - 800-604-1476
[hidden email] - 888-411-8144 Fax - www.DiamondSea.com

RE: What could possibly go wrong? - A web development game show

Susan Hales

By the way, Chris, I’d love to see the resulting game. It sounds like a very interesting idea!

--Sue

Susan Hales, M.S. | Instructional Designer and Webmaster | Information Technology Services | Penn State Wilkes-Barre
008 Bell Center for Technology | Old Route 115, P.O. Box PSU | Lehman, PA 18627 | 570-675-9185 | [hidden email]

From: Brian Gallagher [mailto:[hidden email]]

I’m teaching an introductory web design class here at Houghton College and I have an idea for a game show to help talk about the web design process.

It’s kind of “Family Feud” style where they would need to name possible things that could go wrong at the various stages of the process. (discovery, design, development, evaluation)

I’m looking for some suggestions for ways that a project often gets off track.

RE: What could possibly go wrong? - A web development game show

Dempsey, Paul-2

One that I’ve experienced is resistance from individual departments, such as:

We’re so unique and special, we couldn’t possibly use a standard department template.

Your new design is fine, but on our site can we move the navigation from left to right and add a place for these images and make another half-dozen changes.

What’s wrong with the site our student created five years ago on Wordpress/Wix/Weebly.

-Paul

RE: What could possibly go wrong? - A web development game show

Anderson, David
True tale from the trenches, prompted by Paul’s observation.

"We’re so unique and special, we couldn’t possibly use a standard department template.”

The chair of the art department at a medium-sized state college in northern New York said exactly this thing to me, ~1997. And left the work to the department’s secretary who, although she was a very nice person, had no interest, inclination nor skill in developing said special snowflake website.

FTFY: What’s wrong with the site our student created five twenty years ago on Wordpress/Wix/Weebly Frontpage?

David

David Anderson

Director of Strategic Digital Communications

Office of Communications

Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences

University at Buffalo

168 Biomedical Education Building

3435 Main Street

Buffalo, NY 14214

(716) 829-5201

RE: What could possibly go wrong? - A web development game show

Leslie DuPree

So true, David, and we frequently see the whole special snowflake project delegated again from the department secretary to a hapless student worker!

Leslie

Leslie DuPree

Director of Web Services and New Media

Augustana College, Rock Island, Ill.

augustana.edu

(309) 794-7626

RE: What could possibly go wrong? - A web development game show

Dempsey, Paul-2

Perhaps not by coincidence, the example I was thinking of involved the art department as well.

-Paul

RE: What could possibly go wrong? - A web development game show

Angela French

When the business client begins to ask for things that weren’t in the original requirements - scope creep.

Re: What could possibly go wrong? - A web development game show

Shearouse, Andrew-2
Organization change in the middle of the project...suddenly you have a new point of contact, who has their own ideas (that usually don't mesh with the work that you have already done)

On Sat, Jan 7, 2017 at 11:58 AM, Christopher Tetta <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I’m teaching an introductory web design class here at Houghton College and I have an idea for a game show to help talk about the web design process.

It’s kind of “Family Feud” style where they would need to name possible things that could go wrong at the various stages of the process. (discovery, design, development, evaluation)

I’m looking for some suggestions for ways that a project often gets off track.

Thanks!

Chris Tetta

Web Coordinator

Houghton College

Andy Shearouse
CORE Careers, Opportunities, Research & Exploration
Entrepreneurial (EDGE) Center Assistant Director
Augustana College, Olin 104
Mailing address: 639 - 38th Street, Rock Island, IL  61201

RE: What could possibly go wrong? - A web development game show

Wagner, Ken (Ken)

I can’t believe this one hasn’t been suggested:

“I’ve appointed an ad-hoc faculty committee to recommend web site design changes.” – College Dean

(This may or may not have happened in my college. Twice.)

Re: What could possibly go wrong? - A web development game show

Julia Gray
Since everyone uses the internet, everyone knows best how to design a web page.

A top level exec who likes animated gifs.

Everyone has to have a presence/link on the home page, and nobody seems to have the authority to say "no".

A site designed without end-user input, only from the view of "what information we need to push" instead of "what information are people coming to find".

On 1/7/2017 11:58 AM, Christopher Tetta wrote:

Hi,

I’m teaching an introductory web design class here at Houghton College and I have an idea for a game show to help talk about the web design process.

It’s kind of “Family Feud” style where they would need to name possible things that could go wrong at the various stages of the process. (discovery, design, development, evaluation)

I’m looking for some suggestions for ways that a project often gets off track.

Thanks!

Chris Tetta

Web Coordinator

Houghton College

Arranger | Input | Learner | Relator | Connectedness

Julia Gray, Manager of Web Services and RHC Technology Services

Oakton Community College
Ray Hartstein (Skokie) Campus, 7701 N. Lincoln, Skokie, IL 60077
Des Plaines Campus, 1600 E. Golf Road, Des Plaines, IL 60016
O: 847-635-1264 | F: 847-635-1764 attn: J. Gray

Email to or from Oakton Community College employees may be subject to disclosure
under the Illinois Freedom of Information Act. This communication is the property
of Oakton Community College and is intended only for use by the recipient identified.
If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the
sender and delete the original communication. Any distribution or copying of this
message without the College’s prior consent is prohibited.

Re: What could possibly go wrong? - A web development game show

Adrian J Cooke

Hi Chris,

A very common one in my experience is content not being delivered on time.

Regards,

Adrian

Adrian Cooke | Sr. Web Information Architect

Marketing and Communications
Rm 1-205 | 111 College Place
Syracuse, New York 13244

m 315.412.8188  e [hidden email]

SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY
syr.edu

RE: What could possibly go wrong? - A web development game show

Christopher Tetta

Wow, lots of good stuff here.

Here’s another question – what are some of the mistakes that *we* make in the process that contribute to or allow some of these things to happen?

Chris

I’m teaching an introductory web design class here at Houghton College and I have an idea for a game show to help talk about the web design process.

It’s kind of “Family Feud” style where they would need to name possible things that could go wrong at the various stages of the process. (discovery, design, development, evaluation)

I’m looking for some suggestions for ways that a project often gets off track.

Thanks!

Chris Tetta

Web Coordinator

Houghton College

No virus found in this message.

Re: What could possibly go wrong? - A web development game show

Brian Gallagher
A very common one in my experience is content not being delivered on time.

I think we have a winner!

Re: What could possibly go wrong? - A web development game show

Jonathan Pierce

Hi Chris,

My personal favorite: digitizing an analog process. It starts with “We want to put this paper form online.” We did this with an add/drop form a couple years ago. It was only half a page so how hard could it be? A year and thousands of lines of code later our advising department is telling students to not use the online form and stick with paper. Nobody fully described the Rube Goldberg business logic around a process that had been paper for decades. Students walking from advisor to advisor getting things initialed, scratched out, changed, signed off by non- chairs because the chairs were at lunch and it’s totally OK and oh, that needs to get signed off by our International Programs department because terrorism and on and on. Any time someone asks us to put a form online, we call an all-hands meeting and make them describe the business logic around it in the form of a flowchart before we even think about saying “yes”.

Jonathan

---------------------------------------

Jonathan Pierce

Webmaster

Linfield College

900 SE Baker Street

McMinnville, OR 97128

www.linfield.edu

503.883.2490

RE: What could possibly go wrong? - A web development game show

Angela French

I have never been in a project where content being delivered on time was NOT an issue.

RE: What could possibly go wrong? - A web development game show

Aaron Rester-3

For those of you who might not have been around these parts when it was still active… http://redesignland.blogspot.com/ remains one of the best summaries of the day-to-day hellsca—er, challenges of working in higher ed web. Would probably be some good stuff in there for you, Chris.

--

Aaron Rester

Assistant Vice President, Web Development
Roosevelt University
430 S. Michigan Ave., Room 1153
Chicago, IL 60605
(312)322 7140