What do you use for support documentation repository

What do you use for support documentation repository

Chris Leonard
UD Central IT is currently looking to migrate our static html support documentation into a dynamic wiki type format.

The content managers have basic HTML skills. They are not developers so transparency and ease of use are key factors in our decision making. Software will reside on a LAMP server either in house or hosted by a 3rd party affiliate.

I've experimented with PHPKB, PHPMyFAQ, DokuWiki and Wiki software. All have their pros and cons.

I'd like to know if anyone can offer feedback or share solutions you have used at your institution currently or in the past.

thanks,
Chris
--

Christopher Leonard | Web Developer
University of Delaware

Re: What do you use for support documentation repository

Daniel Spillers
I highly recommend Atlassian Confluence. It is designed with a few use cases in mind, including technical documentation.

daniel spillers
University of Arkansas at Little Rock | Information Technology Services
501.916.3010 | ualr.edu/itservices
IT Services will never ask for your password over the phone or in an email. Always be suspicious of requests for personal information that come via email, even from known contacts. For more information or to report suspicious email, visit IT Security.

On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 8:40 AM, Christopher Leonard <[hidden email]> wrote:
UD Central IT is currently looking to migrate our static html support documentation into a dynamic wiki type format.

The content managers have basic HTML skills. They are not developers so transparency and ease of use are key factors in our decision making. Software will reside on a LAMP server either in house or hosted by a 3rd party affiliate.

I've experimented with PHPKB, PHPMyFAQ, DokuWiki and Wiki software. All have their pros and cons.

I'd like to know if anyone can offer feedback or share solutions you have used at your institution currently or in the past.

thanks,
Chris
--

Christopher Leonard | Web Developer
University of Delaware
IT Client Support & Services
Smith Hall Newark, DE 19716
p: <a href="tel:(302)%20831-3734" value="+13028313734" target="_blank">[302] 831.3734

Re: What do you use for support documentation repository

Michael C.
Our service desk has used Atlassian Confluence for its internal documentation for years. We are in the process of transitioning to a ServiceNow knowledge base as part of a knowledge centralization effort, but Confluence has been robust and reliable for a long time.

Michael Crocker

Lead IT Consultant

Texas A&M Information Technology | Texas A&M University

Service Desk – Campus Messaging & Documentation Support Team

Mail Stop 3363 | College Station, TX 77843-3363
Tel. 979.845.8300 | [hidden email]

IT.tamu.edu

On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 8:47 AM, Daniel Spillers <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Leo Botinelly
We use Atlassian Questions for StackOverflow Q&A-style documentation. For static documentation we use Slate (https://github.com/lord/slate), transforming XML exports from our sourcecode.

Leo Botinelly
Enterprise Systems Development ·
Library & Information Technology
Bucknell University
570-577-1987

On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 9:55 AM, Michael C. <[hidden email]> wrote:
Our service desk has used Atlassian Confluence for its internal documentation for years. We are in the process of transitioning to a ServiceNow knowledge base as part of a knowledge centralization effort, but Confluence has been robust and reliable for a long time.

Michael Crocker

Lead IT Consultant

Texas A&M Information Technology | Texas A&M University

Service Desk – Campus Messaging & Documentation Support Team

Mail Stop 3363 | College Station, TX 77843-3363
Tel. <a href="tel:(979)%20845-8300" value="+19798458300" target="_blank">979.845.8300 | [hidden email]

[...]

We also use ServiceNow, and I'd offer this:

ServiceNow's knowledge base module is both useful (due to its integration with self-service) and clunky (due to its inability to provide a way to make user-friendly or well-designed content). They constantly improve things with each release, though.

I'd also offer a viewpoint on Knowledge Base vs. Support Documentation. This got long, skip if not interested. :)

While there are obvious grey areas, I think these are actually two separate functional experiences that are all too often conflated. A knowledge base seems most effective when it is full of "here is how we handled common issues in the past". It is a history of collected knowledge that makes it a perfect thing to integrate into a help desk solution ("here's how we have solved similar issues before"). The articles are usually brief, simple, and each handle a specific thing with little to no hierarchy (but usually a strong tagging taxonomy).

Support Documentation seems to be more focused on providing instructions and guides on how to use something. It is the Getting Started, Policy, and Reference Guide content that is usually released and kept up-to-date alongside a product. The articles are usually complex and part of a larger hierarchy.

They both are created collaboratively and tools use many of the same concepts, which is why many tools say they can be both. But I think some tools work better in one or the other scenario. And the workflows for adding or maintaining content are different.

Atlassian Confluence is amazing for support documentation, especially for products and services. ServiceKnow's knowledgebase is great at, well, knowledgebasing.

On Feb 8, 2017, 8:57 AM -0600, Michael C. <[hidden email]>, wrote:
Our service desk has used Atlassian Confluence for its internal documentation for years. We are in the process of transitioning to a ServiceNow knowledge base as part of a knowledge centralization effort, but Confluence has been robust and reliable for a long time.

Michael Crocker

Lead IT Consultant

Texas A&M Information Technology | Texas A&M University

Service Desk – Campus Messaging & Documentation Support Team

Mail Stop 3363 | College Station, TX 77843-3363
Tel. <a dir="ltr" href="tel:979.845.8300" x-apple-data-detectors="true" x-apple-data-detectors-type="telephone" x-apple-data-detectors-result="2">979.845.8300 | [hidden email]

IT.tamu.edu

On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 8:47 AM, Daniel Spillers <[hidden email]> wrote:
I highly recommend Atlassian Confluence. It is designed with a few use cases in mind, including technical documentation.

daniel spillers
University of Arkansas at Little Rock | Information Technology Services
<a dir="ltr" href="tel:501.916.3010" x-apple-data-detectors="true" x-apple-data-detectors-type="telephone" x-apple-data-detectors-result="6">501.916.3010 | ualr.edu/itservices
[...]

Lee, Shawn

The University of Wisconsin developed their own KnowedgeBase repository tool and can make instances available to other higher ed institutions at very affordable rates.  It allows us to carve out subsites for individual colleges and departments that can roll up into a unified search interface across the institution.  It has a built in WYSIWYG editor that most content managers find easy to use.  Our university uses it both for internal documentation and for external self-service support information.  I can't recommend it enough.  https://kb.wisc.edu

Shawn Lee

Assistant Director

University of Illinois System, AITS Service Desk

RE: What do you use for support documentation repository

Jason R Pitoniak

We take a similar approach to Daniel.  We have a somewhat three-pronged approach to documentation:

1.  End user documentation, such as how to configure Outlook to connect to our mail server, lives on our website (Drupal).  This doesn’t need to change often and is easy to update when it does, and site design is consistent, so end users know it’s official documentation.

2.  Internal documentation is generally stored in Confluence.  In our case, each team within ITS has a “space” (i.e. wiki) in Confluence to use how it sees fit.  Spaces are generally private to the team, but Confluence allows fine grained permissions control, so content can be shared with other teams as needed.  For example, my team does applications development, so we put information about our apps, such as server info, repository locations, library versions, and database accounts (but not passwords, those are stored elsewhere) in our space.  If we create an API to share app info with another team, we’d also put the API documentation in our space and open up the pages concerning that API with the team that consumes it (if it was a publicly accessible API, however, we’d probably put the documentation on the website instead).

3.  We also use RightAnswers (http://rightanswers.com) to maintain a knowledge base that’s built from actual service desk calls.  Every ticket that gets logged is required to have a knowledge article in RA attached to it.  We subscribe to the UFFA philosophy…”use it, flag it, fix it, add it.”  Tier one techs are supposed to search RA for an appropriate article for each ticket.  If they find a match, they follow the steps in it to either resolve the issue or escalate it to another team (“use it”).  If they find a match, but it doesn’t actually work, they should either figure out what’s wrong and update the article (“fix it”) or mark it as incorrect so that someone else can address it later (“flag it”).  And finally, if they can’t find a match, they should create a new article (as best they can) and escalate the ticket (as best they can).  When another team resolves the ticket, we’re supposed to look at the article attached and either update it with clarifications, or change it to a different article if there already is a better solution that the tier one tech didn’t find.

We currently don’t make our knowledge base public, though RightAnswers does allow you to mark articles as either public or internal.  We may decide to do this is the future, once we get the repository built up a little more.

--Jason

______________________________________

Jason R. Pitoniak '00

Technical Team Lead

Information and Technology Services

Rochester Institute of Technology

Email: [hidden email]

Phone: 585.475.4186

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: The information transmitted, including attachments, is intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and destroy any copies of this information.

[...]

Tel. <a href="tel:979.845.8300">979.845.8300 | [hidden email]

[...]

p: <a href="tel:(302)%20831-3734" target="_blank">[302] 831.3734

Re: What do you use for support documentation repository

Barber, Christopher Todd (Todd)-2

+1 for Confluence. We used it for a while and then had to quit due to some contract issues with the company. We wanted to edit some of the Terms and Conditions and they don’t do that, so we couldn’t use the software. However, we have found a work around and are in the process of purchasing it – along with several other Atlassian products.

todd

=======

C. Todd Barber

Director of Web Services

Information Technology Services

University of Tennessee Health Science Center

(901) 448-1471

Re: What do you use for support documentation repository

wbaumgardner@calbaptist.edu

Hi Todd,

Curious, if you are willing/able to share, what were the issues you/your institution had with Atlassian’s Terms and Conditions?

Thanks,

-Waylon

Re: What do you use for support documentation repository

Barber, Christopher Todd (Todd)-2

If we purchase straight from a vendor there is some indemnification that must get added is the main thing. Atlassian wouldn’t update it. It’s more of a state (Tennessee) thing than an institution thing.

todd

Re: What do you use for support documentation repository

John Herlocher
Another +1 for Altassian.  We’re using confluence.

John

From: Daniel Spillers <[hidden email]>
Date: Wednesday, February 8, 2017 at 8:47 AM
To: uwebd <[hidden email]>

[...]

p: <a href="tel:(302)%20831-3734" target="_blank" style="color: purple; text-decoration: underline;" class="">[302] 831.3734
[hidden email]

You are currently subscribed to [hidden email].

You are currently subscribed to [hidden email].

Re: What do you use for support documentation repository

Chris Leonard
Thanks for everyone's feedback.

Todd:
- you mentioned 'purchase straight from a vendor'. Did you purchase from a vendor due to Atlassian's refuse to amend TOS?

Others using the product:
- cloud, self-hosted server or data center install?
- 40% education discount provided?
- any receive "developer" licenses for non-production purposes? (Staging, QA)

thanks,

Chris

From: Daniel Spillers <[hidden email]>
Date: Wednesday, February 8, 2017 at 8:47 AM
To: uwebd <[hidden email]>

[...]

p: <a href="tel:(302)%20831-3734" style="color:purple;text-decoration:underline" target="_blank">[302] 831.3734

From: Aaron Rester <[hidden email]>
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2017 18:48:53 +0000
Subject: Re: [uwebd] RE: media relations research
Thanks, Mike. Have you seen any evidence that journalists are using it in the intended way?

best,
Aaron

--
Aaron Rester
Assistant Vice President, Web Development
Roosevelt University
430 S. Michigan Ave., Room 1153
Chicago, IL 60605
[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

On Feb 9, 2017, at 12:46 PM, Mike Rekemeyer <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

We have a media room<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.palmer.edu_media-2Dnewsroom_&d=DQMGaQ&c=a-IB_GMEfAZCNvTl5o6ZExYKmR-HZTqw1M_ZxQv8eiY&r=6t8_gWqK32uJlFzS-egw2C0EjcqPGtP9ffsvEnc-KEA&m=-NAURfvTS3LbX4PnAod-NnfwXSyxfwMRidd1D4FtPOA&s=mnbVeWPXshA16fnYohzJL2X3UJtqgd7dmDaxmIS8ioI&e=> – I didn’t really get it when I was asked to provide space for it, but the way it was explained to me is it is a location the media can go to get contact information and simple bio’s and photo’s for their use. It’s also a location where Marketing can post media releases.

Michael Rekemeyer | Website Manager | Marketing & Communication | 1000 Brady St., Davenport, IA 52803 | Office: <a href="tel:%28563%29%20884-5190" value="+15638845190">(563) 884-5190 | Fax: <a href="tel:%28563%29%20884-5393" value="+15638845393">(563) 884-5393

From: Angela French <[hidden email]>
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2017 18:56:26 +0000
Subject: [uwebd] How do you sign up for facebook account w/o using personal account

Hello,

Can you please advise how you have been able to set up Facebook accounts without your administrator using a personal email account?

Thank you.

Angela French
Internet/Intranet Specialist

[hidden email]

www.sbctc.edu

From: "Linza, Judy L" <[hidden email]>
To: "'[hidden email]'" <[hidden email]>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2017 19:32:54 +0000
Subject: RE: [uwebd] Web Team positions

1 - Webmaster/Team Leader (project management, task distribution, supervisor to following positions, server administration, SEO, whatever needs to get done)

1 – Web Developer (development)

1 – Web Production Specialist (CMS drafts, media, development, css, accessibility, SEO, jack of all trades)

2 – full time interns (web development)

1 – full time temporary web developer (because we are going through a web redesign)

1 – part time student web developer (usually avg about 4)

1 – part-time temporary network/server administrator (because networking is understaffed and can’t keep up with our request)

We work for ITS. Communications is looking to hire a content/media specialist that will be housed with the web team, but report to Communications or Marketing. Right now we don’t have a Marketing Director.

Judy Linza
Webmaster
Alfred University
1 Saxon Drive
Alfred, NY 14802
Ph: <a href="tel:(607)%20871-2727" value="+16078712727" target="_blank">607.871.2727
Fx: <a href="tel:(607)%20871-2377" value="+16078712377" target="_blank">607.871.2377
our.alfred.edu
my.alfred.edu
www.alfred.edu

From: Gregg Banse <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2017 15:04:08 -0500
Subject: [uwebd] Content Management Survey
Hi All,
Just a reminder to please complete the content management survey if you haven't already.

Gregg

Digital strategist and marketer prone to fits of curiosity.
Solver of digital puzzles. Architect of digital solutions.

From: Waylon Baumgardner <[hidden email]>
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2017 23:50:10 +0000

I don’t believe there is a way to do that. Presumably you could sign up for Facebook using your work .edu email account, though I have never tried that.

Waylon Baumgardner, M.S.I.T.

Senior Web Services Manager

California Baptist University

8432 Magnolia Avenue

Riverside, California 92504

Office: <a href="tel:(951)%20343-4876" value="+19513434876" target="_blank">951-343-4876

E-Mail: [hidden email]

LIVE YOUR PURPOSE®

1 – Webmaster (CMS care and feeding, template development, training, project management)
1 – Web Application Programmer
6 - Cats

Re: What do you use for support documentation repository

Luis Menchu
PCC has been using Atlassian Confluence since 2009. We use it across the institution, not just for IT documentation.

- Hosting: We self-host our environment.
- Pricing: We do receive an academic discount. I'm pretty sure their discount is 50%. The discount may only apply to the self-hosted version, but I'm not positive.
- Dev licensing: Licensed customers of the self-hosted version have access to developer licenses for non-production uses. I don't believe the cloud version hosted by Atlassian offers a dev environment.

They have always been a good vendor to work with.

Hope this helps,
Luis

Luis Menchu
Web Services Manager
Portland Community College

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 7:37 AM, Christopher Leonard <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Yes, we ended up purchasing from a reseller. Don’t ask how that makes it OK, but it does.

I saw that Luis answered some of the others, but for us, we are going to do the self hosted. In my pricing, the self hosted came out cheaper.

It is a 50% academic discount and I completely forgot about the development licenses. We did that when we used to have Confluence to mainly test upgrades to the software.

todd

From: Daniel Spillers <[hidden email]>
Date: Wednesday, February 8, 2017 at 8:47 AM
To: uwebd <[hidden email]>

[...]

[hidden email] with the subject line unsubscribe uwebd. Leave the message body blank. If you experience problems, contact list owner Eric Kreider at [hidden email]. More information is available at: http://www.uakron.edu/webteam/university-web-developers.dot

We have a media room – I didn’t really get it when I was asked to provide space for it, but the way it was explained to me is it is a location the media can go to get contact information and simple bio’s and photo’s for their use. It’s also a location where Marketing can post media releases.

Michael Rekemeyer | Website Manager | Marketing & Communication | 1000 Brady St., Davenport, IA 52803 | Office: <a href="tel:(563)%20884-5190" target="_blank">(563) 884-5190 | Fax: <a href="tel:(563)%20884-5393" target="_blank"> (563) 884-5393

[...]

Michael Rekemeyer | Website Manager | Marketing & Communication | 1000 Brady St., Davenport, IA 52803 | Office: <a href="tel:%28563%29%20884-5190">(563) 884-5190 | Fax: <a href="tel:%28563%29%20884-5393"> (563) 884-5393

[...]

Ph: <a href="tel:(607)%20871-2727" target="_blank">607.871.2727
Fx: <a href="tel:(607)%20871-2377" target="_blank">607.871.2377
our.alfred.edu
my.alfred.edu
www.alfred.edu

I don’t believe there is a way to do that. Presumably you could sign up for Facebook using your work .edu email account, though I have never tried that.

Waylon Baumgardner, M.S.I.T.

Senior Web Services Manager

California Baptist University

8432 Magnolia Avenue

Riverside, California 92504

Office: <a href="tel:(951)%20343-4876" target="_blank">951-343-4876

E-Mail: [hidden email]

LIVE YOUR PURPOSE®