WordPress PaaS Options

McBride, Ian S.
We've been running WordPress Multisite locally since about 2007, back when it was WordPress MU and a separate project from the regular WP. We offer this as a self-service site creation option for anyone with an account at our school(s) and have a curated set of themes and plugins we support. Currently, we have about 4,200 sites between two instances of the application, one primarily serving our undergraduate college and one for our graduate school.

We're looking at options for offloading some of this burden. We would perhaps keep one instance of WordPress locally for course sites (which are provisioned through a custom system we maintain), and one for the high-touch WordPress sites like our magazine and radio station that have a lot of custom code.

But we are thinking of contracting for a WordPress PaaS to handle personal sites, faculty blogs, and similar things where people need the core WP service with a few plugin and theme options.

I'd like to know what services other schools are using to fill this need and if these are services you'd recommend to others, or recommend others stay away from using. Thanks,

Ian McBride
[hidden email]
Middlebury College - Information Technology Services

Re: WordPress PaaS Options

Matthew Bundrick
Ian,

We've recently offloaded several multi/single site installations to WPEngine. The backups, upgrades and customer support have been great.

We have a premium account, a business account and a few personal accounts for groups that we want to manage their own billing and support.

Willing to chat more if you'd like.

MATT BUNDRICK | CLEMSON UNIVERSITY
Director of University Web Services
Creative Services | University Relations
e: [hidden email] | p: <a href="tel:864.656.5000" value="+18646565001" style="color:rgb(17,85,204)" target="_blank">864.656.5000

[http://www.clemson.edu/_global-assets/images/icons/forever.png]<http://www.clemson.edu/faculty-staff/staff-senate/scholarships.html?utm_source=bundrick&utm_medium=email>
Director of University Web Services
Creative Services | University Relations

e: [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]> | p: 864.656.5000<tel:864.656.5000>

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 10:12 AM, McBride, Ian S. <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
[...]

You are currently subscribed to [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>.
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]> with the subject line unsubscribe uwebd. Leave the message body blank. If you experience problems, contact list owner Eric Kreider at [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>. More information is available at: http://www.uakron.edu/webteam/university-web-developers.dot<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.uakron.edu_webteam_university-2Dweb-2Ddevelopers.dot&d=CwMFaQ&c=Ngd-ta5yRYsqeUsEDgxhcqsYYY1Xs5ogLxWPA_2Wlc4&r=PlZuaTjTzgeSEnE_JxvDW2z5hTQ8SM9ZrlnCv3Bo-n4&m=gIjPDxUbF3u7IfwaTrvjKxwQUuS_1FiugTC0QbDKnGU&s=5OgKsHraWhDtYH6Ix7JVrONtTGeKMgU91X0gZxVTuy8&e=>

Re: WordPress PaaS Options

Sherman, Kevin

I hear good things about Pantheon as well, Drupal and WordPress stacks.

Kevin Sherman
Web Developer, Benedictine University
(o): (630) 829-6640  |  (c): (224) 730-2083

"Work hard at work worth doing" — Theodore Roosevelt

[<a href="http://www.clemson.edu/_global-assets/images/icons/forever.png]&lt;http://www.clemson.edu/faculty-staff/staff-senate/scholarships.html?utm_source=bundrick&amp;utm_medium=email">http://www.clemson.edu/_global-assets/images/icons/forever.png]<http://www.clemson.edu/faculty-staff/staff-senate/scholarships.html?utm_source=bundrick&utm_medium=email>
Director of University Web Services
Creative Services | University Relations

e: [hidden email]<[hidden email]> | p: 864.656.5000<tel:864.656.5000>

[...]

To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]> with the subject line unsubscribe uwebd. Leave the message body blank. If you experience problems, contact list owner Eric Kreider at [hidden email]<[hidden email]>. More information is available at: http://www.uakron.edu/webteam/university-web-developers.dot<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.uakron.edu_webteam_university-2Dweb-2Ddevelopers.dot&d=CwMFaQ&c=Ngd-ta5yRYsqeUsEDgxhcqsYYY1Xs5ogLxWPA_2Wlc4&r=PlZuaTjTzgeSEnE_JxvDW2z5hTQ8SM9ZrlnCv3Bo-n4&m=gIjPDxUbF3u7IfwaTrvjKxwQUuS_1FiugTC0QbDKnGU&s=5OgKsHraWhDtYH6Ix7JVrONtTGeKMgU91X0gZxVTuy8&e=>