blog platform for faculty/admin offices

Aaron Rester-3

Hi all,

We are about to move our Wordpress installation, which currently hosts several marketing-run blogs plus a few grandfathered-in faculty blogs, to a third-party host which will allow us to potentially provide up to a hundred blogs for members of our community (most likely faculty, academic departments, etc.)

Is this a service that you provide? Do you have guidelines for who gets to have a blog, given limited resources? How do you balance academic freedom vs. the fact that this is an institutional platform?

Thanks,

Aaron

--

Aaron Rester

Assistant Vice President, Web Development
Roosevelt University
430 S. Michigan Ave., Room 1153
Chicago, IL 60605
(312)322 7140

Re: blog platform for faculty/admin offices

Leta Negandhi
Many professors and researchers at Berkeley have their own, self hosted blogs. My department (public affairs) runs the Berkeley Blog http://blogs.berkeley.edu/, which is curated by the News Team. Professors and Researchers at the university either ask us to re-post their personal blog posts on current events or we (we being whomever on the News Team) will ask them if we can repost it. We have some frequent posters, and some one-time posters. Its a pretty neat way to foster our intellectual community.

Leta Negandhi
Web Developer
UC Berkeley Office of Communications & Public Affairs

On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 11:50 AM, Aaron Rester <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Cambre, Aren

We have two blog systems, both of which are WordPress networks:

·         blog.smu.edu: semi-white glove service for official or departmental blogs

·         people.smu.edu: commodity system (all sites configured identically from network admin perspective) for personal or student clubs

We, too, are looking at outsourcing these. My concern is mainly with the blog.smu.edu white glove service ones, as I expect any good host to have fewer customization options.

image001

Aren Cambre, D.Eng., '99, '03, '14
Director, Web Application Services
Office of Information Technology
Southern Methodist University

Re: blog platform for faculty/admin offices

McBride, Ian S.

We run two large WordPress instances (one for middlebury.edu and one for miis.edu) that allows self-service site creation and integrates with our course systems so professors can create WordPress sites for their courses if they want to use it instead of Canvas or Moodle. Right now, we have around 5,000 WordPress sites across these instances. Since everything is tied to a person’s institutional ID, we’d be able to handle mis-use of the platform, but aside from a couple copyright takedowns we haven’t had to deal with any issues.

NYU runs a similar setup and presented on it at WPCampus Online. The slides and video are available here: https://online.wpcampus.org/schedule/effectively-manage-and-scale-wordpress-multisite-and-importance-of-insights/

We’re considering sharding out the service to have one “white glove” instance for the sites that require custom programming (our alumni magazine, student radio station, etc.), one for course sites, and one for everything else, possibly through a WordPress PaaS provider, but that project is only just beginning its evaluation stage.

Ian McBride

Middlebury College