cutting down on email blasts

Lynn Zawie
Administration wants to cut down on the number of "blast emails" that are sent to the entire University community, on the theory that the signal-to-noise ratio is negatively impacting the really important messages.

We've been asked to find another solution that will help departments and other entities to disseminate their less-than-critical but still important messages.

Has anyone else grappled with this issue? Does anyone use a portal for this? If so, how do you make sure people log in to the portal to see such message?

Any guidance on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Lynn

Lynn Zawie

Web Production Manager

Office of Communications & Marketing

Stony Brook University

144 Administration Building

Office: 631.632.4429

[hidden email]

Stony Brook University Far Beyond

Re: cutting down on email blasts

Sherman, Kevin

Always a tough task as the people doing the sending are always vocal about their displeasure :P

Our plan is one of two things, someday.

First was to have a WordPress site for the announcements. Anyone with a faculty/staff login can do in and add a post, but not publish. We already have a weekly announcements thing that is sent out and one of our writers takes in the requests, edits them, and builds the webpage every week. So I was thinking we re-purpose him into editing the WordPress contributor posts and he is then the approver for them to be posted. Then, we build either a daily or weekly email that is sent that automatically builds a digest of the new posts. Lots of plugins can do this, or it would be pretty easy to do ourselves leveraging the WP API.

Second idea was to try and roll out Slack to the whole university. Then there would be announcement channels folks could opt-into following.

I’m curious how others are doing this as well! This is an especially huge problem in our student email and one of the largest reasons we hear students don’t use their university provided email accounts very much.

Kevin Sherman

Web Developer, Benedictine University

(o): (630) 829-6640  |  (c): (224) 730-2083

"Work hard at work worth doing" — Theodore Roosevelt

Re: cutting down on email blasts

Leta Negandhi
my first thought was display the messages in a university portal.

Leta Negandhi
Web Developer
UC Berkeley Office of Communications & Public Affairs

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 7:49 AM, Lynn Zawie <[hidden email]> wrote:
Administration wants to cut down on the number of "blast emails" that are sent to the entire University community, on the theory that the signal-to-noise ratio is negatively impacting the really important messages.

We've been asked to find another solution that will help departments and other entities to disseminate their less-than-critical but still important messages.

Has anyone else grappled with this issue? Does anyone use a portal for this? If so, how do you make sure people log in to the portal to see such message?

Any guidance on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Lynn

Lynn Zawie

Web Production Manager

Office of Communications & Marketing

Stony Brook University

144 Administration Building

Office: <a href="tel:631.632.4429" value="+16316324429" target="_blank">631.632.4429

[hidden email]

Stony Brook University Far Beyond

Re: cutting down on email blasts

Jeffrey Butera-2
On 10/27/16 12:32 PM, Leta Negandhi wrote:
my first thought was display the messages in a university portal.

Yup, we have a portal which displays messages and sends a single digest message every AM to the campus.
We only send direct "blast" messages to everyone in the even of something very important.

Jeff

[...]

Office: <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="tel:631.632.4429" value="+16316324429" target="_blank">631.632.4429

[hidden email]

Stony Brook University Far
                                  Beyond

Jeffrey Butera, PhD
Associate Director for Application and Web Services
Information Technology
Hampshire College

Re: cutting down on email blasts

Laudenslager, Kristin R
Like Kevin, we run a WordPress site and edit submissions and send out a daily email update using MailChimp so we can keep an eye on our analytics.  Once we got past the objections of a faculty member who was adamant that she preferred receiving 20-50 individual emails per day, the system has worked very well. Student adoption was initially slow (especially for upper-classmen), but we’re at a point now where our seniors have always known this system, so they’re pretty comfy with it now.
While we welcome submissions from any emails w/our domain, we haven’t empowered anyone to post themselves, mostly because we run into issues where people mistakenly believe that reader interest and posting frequency are positively correlated. For example "We really need volunteers to poke out their own eyeballs with plastic forks at 5:30 am on a random Tuesday three months from now, so IT’S CRITICAL this post needs to run every!day!for!until!then!”  (details have been slightly altered to protect the identity of any HIPPOs who might have made requests like this).

Good luck, and if you want more info online, just whistle!

- Kristin :)
Kristin Laudenslager, MBA
formerly Kristin Greenberg
Director of Web Communications
610-282-1100 x 1764

From: Lynn Zawie <[hidden email]>
Date: Thursday, October 27, 2016 at 9:49 AM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

[...]

This message, together with any attachments, may contain confidential and/or privileged information and is intended only for the owner(s) of the e-mail address listed as the recipient of this message. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this email. Please notify the sender immediately by email if you have received this email by mistake and delete this email from your system. Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free, as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender, therefore, does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message which arise as a result of email transmission. If verification is required, please request a hard-copy version. DeSales University, 2755 Station Avenue, Center Valley, PA 18034 www.desales.edu

Re: cutting down on email blasts

Bauserman, Andrew A
Lynn,

For 15+ years we've sent out a daily M-F "digest" email to faculty & staff. Anybody can submit an announcement; one person approves submissions and confirms the send.

For about 12 years now we've sent out a twice-weekly email to the student body - which faculty and staff can request to receive as well. Anyone can submit; one person approves & sends.

For several years now we have the capability to pull, alongside these announcements, a news and/or event feed into each email. (At the moment, we pull 3 news stories for fac-staff, and upcoming events for students.)

Greek Life and a few others have implemented a similar approach to minimize their own email send count.

The President, Provost and all VPs still have direct-send permission to the full fac-staff and student email lists. But at least that's a manageable number of people...

YMMV.

--
Andrew Bauserman
Web & Design