do you offer personal web hosting?

Matt Lauer
Hi all,

Carleton provides personal, basic web hosting to campus members. However, the infrastructure providing the web hosting is going away soon. We're looking at replacement options, but I was curious what web hosting options institutions offer to faculty/staff/students. The basic web hosting I'm referring to is the model where users upload files to their personal web space (like "example.com/~mlauer"), not situations involving a content management platform.

A couple of quick questions, if you don't mind:

 - Does your institution provide personal website hosting to campus members?
 - Is the service actively promoted to campus members?
 - Is the service maintained on-site or is hosted by a vendor?

Thanks in advance,
Matt Lauer

--
Matt Lauer
Web Administrator/Developer

Re: do you offer personal web hosting?

McBride, Ian S.

Our Office of Digital Learning is using this service https://reclaimhosting.com/domain-of-ones-own/ to provide personal web hosting to students / faculty / staff. The goal is to teach students about managing their digital identity, as I understand it, but it's set up to allow anyone with an account here to create their own site through a custom domain at middcreate.net.

It's a wrapper around cPanel that they sell to higher ed and is remotely hosted. The office managing it does promote the service to students and groups working with them.

We still have the FTP-your-files-to-an-apache-homedir setup for a few grandfathered accounts and also offer personal web space through several CMS / cloud solutions.

Ian McBride

Middlebury College

Re: do you offer personal web hosting?

Mosinskis, Peter

Like Ian, our campus offers uses Reclaim's DOOO service for personal student & faculty site hosting, branded to our campus (CI Keys: http://cikeys.com/ ) .

It's a fantastic service that provides so much flexibility for our community. We even use it to build the occasional Wordpress site for grant projects or special programs for which we won't be providing standard service (or where a 3rd party may take over content management responsibilities). ​

Best
Peter

___________________________
Peter Mosinskis, PMP
Director of IT Strategy
Division of Technology & Innovation (T&I)
California State University Channel Islands (CI)
One University Drive
Camarillo CA 93012 USA
+1 (805) 437-8587

RE: do you offer personal web hosting?

Jason R Pitoniak

At RIT we offer all faculty, staff, and students 1Gb of storage to host a site on our http://people.rit.edu platform.  It’s an internally hosted SFTP-your-stuff-to-your-homedir service.  In this day of social media and cheap domain-based hosting, I’m not sure too many people are really using it to host personal websites anymore (though a fair number of our art and design students use it to host portfolios).  A number of our programs have web design/development components to them, however, and almost all of those courses rely on the service for students to post their work, so we keep supporting it.

--Jason

______________________________________

Jason R. Pitoniak '00

Technical Team Lead

Information and Technology Services

Rochester Institute of Technology

Email: [hidden email]

Phone: 585.475.4186

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: The information transmitted, including attachments, is intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and destroy any copies of this information.

Re: do you offer personal web hosting?

Bauserman, Andrew A
Matt,

Not advocating our solution, just providing the data-point to the conversation.

>> Does your institution provide personal website hosting to campus members?

Yes
* Any member of the community or recognized class or group may request a WordPress site at blogs.wm.edu
* We offer a super-simple, home-grown site-building tool at wmpeople.wm.edu
* We don't advertise /~userid web folders, but host them as needed. There's no PHP or database connection, so it's strictly static pages & files, e.g., for a new professor to W&M having an existing static site that needs to live somewhere.

>> Is the service actively promoted to campus members?

Yes. For 2 of the 3 as noted above.

>> Is the service maintained on-site or is hosted by a vendor?

All 3 are on-site at this time.

We don't have anything like Reclaim's DOOO service at this time, so the best we can offer to an individual or group (not an official office, department or program) needing a customizable solution is to look for EDU pricing like https://www.bluehost.com/hosting/education or https://www.squarespace.com/students/
We do not host DNS for such external sites, although we may create a redirect for recognized student organizations and the like.

YMMV.

--
Andrew Bauserman
University Web & Design