guidelines for blogs on a centralized platform

guidelines for blogs on a centralized platform

Aaron Rester-3
Anyone have publicly available guidelines for providing faculty or administrative blogs on a centralized platform? We have a limited number of licenses, so we want to not give out accounts to anyone who thinks "hey, I need a blog!" We also want to set some expectations about acceptable plugins, themes, etc. and some rules for use (e.g. if you don't log in for a year, your account gets archived), and I was wondering how others have dealt with that.

--
Aaron Rester
Assistant Vice President, Web Development

Re: guidelines for blogs on a centralized platform

Keeling, Diana

We do not have anything official and in writing, but we do following the lose guidelines below.  We use wordpress and run updates monthly unless it is a security patch, then we update it shortly after it comes out.  We also do have unlimited users / blog capability so we do not have to limit availability like you do.

·         Anyone at WKU can request a blog (faculty / staff or student).

·         You can request for any plugins and themes, but if they have not been updated in the last 3 months, we scrutinize them a little more.  If there are plenty of people saying it will work from our version of wordpress we might still install them though.

·         We audit all blogs annually.  If the blog hasn't been updated within the last year we send the 'administrator' an email asking if they still need it.  We send a series of emails over the next two months if we haven't heard back from them.  After that two months, if we haven't heard back we 'delete' them and wait another month to officially delete them (after backing them up, just in case).

·         We currently do not audit users because I haven't setup that process yet.  I also haven't quite figured out how I want to handle transferring who the author of a blog post should be in the event I need to remove a user.

--

Thank You,

Diana Keeling

Manager, Web Development Group

Enterprise Applications and Programming

Western Kentucky University

Re: guidelines for blogs on a centralized platform

McBride, Ian S.

Like WKU, we allow self-service registration. We're in the middle of developing guidelines on site retention as well as figuring out whether we should split our single blog service into multiple. For example, we might have one for "white glove" hosting of prominent blogs that require custom coding, one for course sites, and then one for everything else, which might be contracted through a PaaS provider. But that's all up-in-the-air right now.

We do have documented guidelines on plugin requests (https://mediawiki.middlebury.edu/wiki/LIS/WordPress_plugin_requests), which has been helpful as we get a lot of requests to install plugins where we already provide an alternative. For instance, I handled a ticket today from someone who wanted to install a plugin to add share buttons to their posts, which they can already do with a couple of the plugins we have available.

The rest of this is WordPress-specific, but might be helpful.

We also have a security review checklist for plugins (https://mediawiki.middlebury.edu/wiki/LIS/WordPress_Development#Plugin_and_Theme_Security_Reviews). Many WordPress plugins assume that the site administrator of a blog is the same as the owner of the server, which makes sense for personal blogs hosted individually, but doesn't work in a WordPress multi-site environment. A lot of plugins also allow the editor to inject arbitrary, unfiltered HTML and JavaScript into posts and pages, which we want to dis-allow.

For those hosting WordPress multi-site like this, I highly recommend the Multisite Plugin Manager (https://wordpress.org/plugins/multisite-plugin-manager/), which lets you choose whether individual site administrators can enable a plugin you have installed. This handles the case where you need to have a particular calendar plugin for one site, but don't want to support it everywhere.

I also recommend Multisite Jetpack Control (https://bitbucket.org/umwedu/umw-multisite-jetpack-control) which allows you to disable certain Jetpack plugin sub-modules, so you can keep the extra sidebar widgets and carousels, but not allow people to enable the advertising features or single-sign on through WordPress.com.

And we wrote a small application that lets you audit plugin and theme usage if you have more than one WordPress multi-site installation (https://github.com/middlebury/wordpress-audit).

Ian McBride

Middlebury College

RE: guidelines for blogs on a centralized platform

Cambre, Aren

Doesn’t answer your question, but I am curious: are you on a SaaS platform? We host WordPress locally for blogging and news magazine (everything else generally goes in Sitecore) and are looking to move it to the cloud.

image001

Aren Cambre, D.Eng., '99, '03, '14
Director, Web Application Services
Office of Information Technology
Southern Methodist University

RE: guidelines for blogs on a centralized platform

Aaron Rester-3
Thanks for your answers, Ian and Diana.

Aren, yes, we are moving to CampusPress in order to remove the overhead of maintaining a server and keeping the WP install updated and patched. We’ve also sprung for the dedicated support service so we don’t have to keep showing faculty how over and over to add a hyperlink during the annual moment when they remember they have a blog they should update. :-)

--

On Apr 10, 2017, at 1:33 PM, Cambre, Aren <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

Doesn’t answer your question, but I am curious: are you on a SaaS platform? We host WordPress locally for blogging and news magazine (everything else generally goes in Sitecore) and are looking to move it to the cloud.

<image001.gif>

Aren Cambre, D.Eng., '99, '03, '14
Director, Web Application Services
Office of Information Technology
Southern Methodist University

RE: guidelines for blogs on a centralized platform

Annette Thomson-2
Hi,

We've been running http://blogs.gwu.edu on CampusPress for about a year. Upon first login, a blog is created with a URL based on the user's email username. We have three templates available, all with a general disclaimer at the bottom. If a user wants a template variation with the university logo instead of the disclaimer, or a custom URL, they have to put in a formal request. This has worked pretty well thus far. We don't have blog-specific policies, but instead refer users to other relevant university policies. We haven't quite hit the 12-month mark yet and have yet to do an audit and system cleanup, but that's on the summer to-do list.

Annette

Aaron Rester wrote:
Thanks for your answers, Ian and Diana.

Aren, yes, we are moving to CampusPress in order to remove the overhead of maintaining a server and keeping the WP install updated and patched. We’ve also sprung for the dedicated support service so we don’t have to keep showing faculty how over and over to add a hyperlink during the annual moment when they remember they have a blog they should update. :-)

--
Aaron Rester
Assistant Vice President, Web Development
Roosevelt University
430 S. Michigan Ave., Room 1153
Chicago, IL 60605
(312) 322 7140
[hidden email][hidden email]

On Apr 10, 2017, at 1:33 PM, Cambre, Aren <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:

Doesn’t answer your question, but I am curious: are you on a SaaS platform? We host WordPress locally for blogging and news magazine (everything else generally goes in Sitecore) and are looking to move it to the cloud.

<image001.gif>

Aren Cambre, D.Eng., '99, '03, '14
Director, Web Application Services
Office of Information Technology
Southern Methodist University

RE: guidelines for blogs on a centralized platform

Chris Leonard

Prior to 2014 we hosted WordPress internally. Currently we host WordPress sites with edublogs (www.campuspress.com). They handle all of the updates and backend administration which saves us time from having to review, test and troubleshoot themes and plugins.

1. REVIEW - There are 50+ themes and plugins available for our clients. When clients request a specific theme or plugin we forward to CampusPress who review, approve or disapprove.

2. LIMITATIONS - Limitations are in place (no access to database or theme files) that help prevent catastrophe's or bringing the entire network down.

3. WHO CAN HAVE A SITE? - Staff, faculty, students and departments may request a site through self service. Branding and FERPA guidelines must be followed by all sites. Top level and College sites are hosted on AEM.

4. SITE INACTIVITY - We too send out emails to admins every couple of months for sites that have been inactive for a while. Unlimited server space allows us to deactivate or archive these sites instead of deleting them.)

5. DEVELOPMENT - Our IT group handles any custom development requests or custom theme updates (based on approval from our host) by checking code into a Bitbucket repo and creating a pull request. Once merged by CampusPress, the files are posted to a dev server for testing. When testing is finished we submit a request to move into prod.

Here's some documentation that may be helpful as well. :)

Christopher Leonard | Web Developer
University of Delaware
IT Client Support & Services

Smith Hall Newark, DE 19716
p: [302] 831.3734

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 8:56 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Table of contents:

1. [uwebd] guidelines for blogs on a centralized platform - Aaron Rester <[hidden email]>
2. Re: [uwebd] guidelines for blogs on a centralized platform - "Keeling, Diana" <[hidden email]>
3. Re: [uwebd] guidelines for blogs on a centralized platform - "McBride, Ian S." <[hidden email]>
4. [uwebd] RE: guidelines for blogs on a centralized platform - "Cambre, Aren" <[hidden email]>
5. Re: [uwebd] RE: guidelines for blogs on a centralized platform - Aaron Rester <[hidden email]>
6. Re: [uwebd] RE: guidelines for blogs on a centralized platform - Annette Thomson <[hidden email]>
7. [uwebd] edUi registration is open - EdUI Conference <[hidden email]>
8. [uwebd] Four Winds | Higher Ed User Group - Chris Wammes <[hidden email]>
9. Re: [uwebd] Four Winds | Higher Ed User Group - "David P. Dillard" <[hidden email]>
10. [uwebd] Web Developer position at William & Mary - "Bauserman, Andrew" <[hidden email]>
11. RE: [uwebd] Open Higher Ed Web Slack Teams - "Abrams, PJ" <[hidden email]>

Anyone have publicly available guidelines for providing faculty or administrative blogs on a centralized platform? We have a limited number of licenses, so we want to not give out accounts to anyone who thinks "hey, I need a blog!" We also want to set some expectations about acceptable plugins, themes, etc. and some rules for use (e.g. if you don't log in for a year, your account gets archived), and I was wondering how others have dealt with that.

--
Aaron Rester
Assistant Vice President, Web Development
Roosevelt University
430 S. Michigan Ave., Room 1153
Chicago, IL 60605
[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]%[hidden email]>>

[...]

To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email][hidden email] with the subject line unsubscribe uwebd. Leave the message body blank. If you experience problems, contact list owner Eric Kreider at [hidden email][hidden email]. More information is available at:http://www.uakron.edu/webteam/university-web-developers.dot<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.uakron.edu_webteam_university-2Dweb-2Ddevelopers.dot&d=DwMGaQ&c=a-IB_GMEfAZCNvTl5o6ZExYKmR-HZTqw1M_ZxQv8eiY&r=6t8_gWqK32uJlFzS-egw2C0EjcqPGtP9ffsvEnc-KEA&m=zpYxFRvRl9Pe3GLtl7-QSq2Ms-ALWbDajA_6FxvVNEQ&s=0lKM5zFtGSr_8fqWeO-Ou38DomsWGlJzMQ-Eo2O5c8Y&e=>

<message-footer.txt>

--
Annette M. Thomson
Associate Director, Requirements & Support | Marketing & Creative Services
The George Washington University
Desk: <a href="tel:(202)%20994-7629" value="+12029947629" target="_blank">202-994-7629 | Mobile: <a href="tel:(703)%20863-3174" value="+17038633174" target="_blank">703-863-3174 | [hidden email]

From: Chris Wammes <[hidden email]>
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Bcc:
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2017 15:29:54 +0000
Subject: [uwebd] Four Winds | Higher Ed User Group

Hi,

I think there are several people on this list that use Four Winds for their Digital Signage solution.  I’ve talked with our contacts at Four Winds and created a Google Group to act as High Ed User Group.  The group is open to everyone, and is intended to be a place where we can discuss how we use the product, the good, the bad and the ugly.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/four-winds-edu

If you know of any other Four Winds higher ed users, feel free let them know about the group as well.

Thanks,
Chris

__________________________

Chris Wammes

Application Development Supervisor

Information Technology Services

Bowling Green State University

Phone:  <a href="tel:(419)%20372-3460" value="+14193723460" target="_blank">(419) 372-3460

From: "Bauserman, Andrew" <[hidden email]>
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Bcc:
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2017 23:22:23 +0000
Subject: [uwebd] Web Developer position at William & Mary
William & Mary is searching for a full-stack web developer for the Web & Design Team within University Communications. This is a professional, full-time position; pay commensurate with experience... see full job description (link below) for official details.

While experience in all of the following is not required, here's our web environment: public web content is managed in Hannon Hill's Cascade Server; web services rely heavily on PHP, CodeIgniter, git, MySQL, jQuery, Bootstrap, and Google Analytics, Tag Manager & Custom Search Engine.

William & Mary, the nation's second-oldest institution of higher education, is a liberal arts research university located in historic Williamsburg, VA.

Web Developer - Info Technology Specialist II - William & Mary
https://jobs.wm.edu/postings/27711

--
Andrew Bauserman
Web & Design

From: Gerlando Termini <[hidden email]>
Date: Wednesday, May 4, 2016 at 8:52 AM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

Same here. Can you please add us?

From: Norma Campbell <[hidden email]>
Date: Wednesday, May 4, 2016 at 9:08 AM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

I would be interested in a general channel. We don't use Drupal.

On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 2:19 PM, Michael Carpenter <[hidden email]> wrote:

Please add viu.ca as well!

From: Chris Wammes <[hidden email]>
Date: Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 8:09 AM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Subject: [uwebd] Open Higher Ed Web Slack Teams

Anyone know of list of Open Slack Teams for Higher Ed Web Design/Development?

Chris

__________________________

Chris Wammes

Application Development Supervisor

Information Technology Services

Bowling Green State University

Phone:  <a href="tel:(419)%20372-3460" value="+14193723460" target="_blank">(419) 372-3460

Norma S. Campbell

Web Content Coordinator, Fashion Institute of Technology

Re: guidelines for blogs on a centralized platform

Leta Negandhi
at berkeley we have the the berkeley blog http://blogs.berkeley.edu/about/

we host it on wpengine, and i am the web developer for it, but i dont manage the content.

Leta Negandhi
Web Developer
UC Berkeley Office of Communications & Public Affairs
http://berkeley.edu
http://news.berkeley.edu
http://blogs.berkeley.edu

On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 10:41 AM, Aaron Rester <[hidden email]> wrote:
Anyone have publicly available guidelines for providing faculty or administrative blogs on a centralized platform? We have a limited number of licenses, so we want to not give out accounts to anyone who thinks "hey, I need a blog!" We also want to set some expectations about acceptable plugins, themes, etc. and some rules for use (e.g. if you don't log in for a year, your account gets archived), and I was wondering how others have dealt with that.

--
Aaron Rester
Assistant Vice President, Web Development
Roosevelt University
430 S. Michigan Ave., Room 1153
Chicago, IL 60605
[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

RE: guidelines for blogs on a centralized platform

O'Neill, Michael J

Hi Leta!

Do you integrate the blog content anywhere else on the site?

For example, can I look at a faculty’s profile and click through to his/her blog posts, see posts by professors in the history department in a panel on a history department web page?

Asking not specifically of you, but if anyone has done that level of integration between a content hub and the academic website, I’d love to speak!

-Michael

Re: guidelines for blogs on a centralized platform

Michael G. Wagner

Michael,

We post our news to a Wordpress site and then display the news on our main site in a variety of locations including faculty members directory pages.

A faculty example is below:

We also display the news on our landing pages:

Mike

Michael G. Wagner
Senior Web Developer
Maurice A. Deane School of Law at Hofstra University
121 Hofstra University, Suite 029
Hempstead, NY 11549
516-463-0391

Re: guidelines for blogs on a centralized platform

Matt Herzberger-2
One of my favorite projects I have worked on was with

I did the content strategy/ content modeling for this project and they already had the strong content backbone with their blog, which we all know if the hardest part.

But the really cool part are the mix-ins we produced with the awesome blog content. Here are a few examples, the blog inclusions are intentional and topical to the page. Most of them are on the bottom rail by the footer.

-Matt

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 10:03 AM, Michael G. Wagner <[hidden email]> wrote:

Michael,

We post our news to a Wordpress site and then display the news on our main site in a variety of locations including faculty members directory pages.

A faculty example is below:

We also display the news on our landing pages:

Mike

Michael G. Wagner
Senior Web Developer
Maurice A. Deane School of Law at Hofstra University
121 Hofstra University, Suite 029
Hempstead, NY 11549

Re: guidelines for blogs on a centralized platform

Leta Negandhi
We keep the blog autonomous. Sometimes we push posts to our News site in the Opinion section http://news.berkeley.edu/category/opinion/, and sometimes we pull in a post onto our homepage (there is one there now, incidentally) http://www.berkeley.edu/ *

The posts are separated by category - looking at an authors profile you can see other posts that they have and which category that post is written under. Ability for authors to write under different topics keeps things more intersectional.

*We do this with XML feeds - the Blog has one that the Newscenter pulls in with a cron job and another one that the Gateway pulls in when the content manager decides.

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 2:19 PM, O'Neill, Michael J <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Leta!

Do you integrate the blog content anywhere else on the site?

For example, can I look at a faculty’s profile and click through to his/her blog posts, see posts by professors in the history department in a panel on a history department web page?

Asking not specifically of you, but if anyone has done that level of integration between a content hub and the academic website, I’d love to speak!

-Michael

Re: guidelines for blogs on a centralized platform

Mosinskis, Peter

Aaron, We use Reclaim Hosting / Domain of One's Own (spun of from UMW Domain of One's Own) to provide a web site and/or Wordpress installation for every student, faculty and and staff member that wants one:

https://reclaimhosting.com/domain-of-ones-own/

I love this service; it's been a huge boon for faculty.

Peter Mosinskis, PMP
Director of IT Strategy
Division of Technology & Innovation (T&I)
California State University Channel Islands (CI)
One University Drive
Camarillo CA 93012 USA
+1 (805) 437-8587