large pdf files, a coping strategy?

NORMA CAMPBELL-2
I have a request to upload a large .pdf file of a 50-page booklet to our website and on principle, I think it's a terrible idea, but I want to offer another solution to the requester. In general, we try to avoid pdfs in place of any web content and we stopped using Issuu sometime back, simply because we try to avoid uploading pdfs in place of web content. (vicious circle)

I would be interested in hearing how you handle such requests or if there is some new innovative way of making documents/booklets like this attractive on a website.

--
Norma S. Campbell
Web Content Coordinator, Fashion Institute of Technology

RE: large pdf files, a coping strategy?

Bond, Dennis

I say “What a nice document. Does it comply with the accessibility policy? If so, I’m happy to upload it!” Haven’t had to upload any so far. :)

When they ask how to get around the accessibility rules, I start talking about their options for migrating the document’s content into a web-friendly format. That way it’s a solution they’ve discovered, rather than a rule that’s being dictated to them.

Dennis Bond

Manager of Web Services

College of Agriculture and Natural Resources

Michigan State University

Re: large pdf files, a coping strategy?

NORMA CAMPBELL-2
Hi Dennis,

I've used that tactic a number of times, but it's usually a brochure or random document (a manual for something, for example). I've never been faced with what is essentially a book. (and laid out to be a print book) <sigh>

On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 10:35 AM, Bond, Dennis <[hidden email]> wrote:

I say “What a nice document. Does it comply with the accessibility policy? If so, I’m happy to upload it!” Haven’t had to upload any so far. :)

When they ask how to get around the accessibility rules, I start talking about their options for migrating the document’s content into a web-friendly format. That way it’s a solution they’ve discovered, rather than a rule that’s being dictated to them.

Dennis Bond

Manager of Web Services

College of Agriculture and Natural Resources

Michigan State University

RE: large pdf files, a coping strategy?

Bond, Dennis

You may need to explain to them that the accessibility policy is protecting them from legal liability under the ADA, and is even more important for larger, more popular pieces of content than for smaller ones. In addition, this is surely content they want people to see, and Google is the ultimate “blind person” because it can also only properly index content that’s accessible to its scanners. So if the content is not properly formatted, it may not be featured in search results.

Aside from these basics, most of the time the intention in showing visitors content is to get them to then take some other action. Explain that even IF people are able to reach the book effectively, it will often be as a direct search result. This will leave visitors looking at the PDF with no navigation bar, header/footer, or other context to show them where they are or what they can do next. You’ll likely also have a hard time tracking how many people reach the document. I find that showing people the percentage of website landings that occur on the home page versus other pages helps them understand that traffic doesn’t always flow the way they expect it to.

I hope this helps!