malicious URLs

Tony Goins
We're trying to obtain some malicious URLs.

So if our main URL is cscc.edu, we're going to try to get CSCCsucks.com and CSCCsMotherWearsCombatBoots.com and things of that nature.

Does anyone have a good list of malicious URLs they could share with me?

Re: malicious URLs

Annette Thomson
FWIW -- When the new TLDs were rolled out last year we made a conscious decision *not* to register any more of these types of domains, and any that we registered in the past we're letting lapse as they come due.

It was deemed impossible to keep on top of all the potentially offensive domains and an unnecessary expense to boot. Our philosophy is that if anyone does anything egregious we'll pursue it via our office of general council.

--

Annette M. Thomson

Associate Director, Requirements & Support | Marketing & Creative Services

The George Washington University

Desk: 202-994-7629 | Mobile: 703-863-3174 | [hidden email]

Re: malicious URLs

Jeffrey Butera-2
We agree 100%. You're playing a losing game of wack-a-mole and just spending money in the process.

Jeffrey Butera, PhD
Associate Director for Application and Web Services
Information Technology
Hampshire College
413-559-5556

Tony Goins wrote:
We're trying to obtain some malicious URLs.

So if our main URL is cscc.edu, we're going to try to get CSCCsucks.com and CSCCsMotherWearsCombatBoots.com and things of that nature.

Does anyone have a good list of malicious URLs they could share with me?

--

Annette M. Thomson

Associate Director, Requirements & Support | Marketing & Creative Services

The George Washington University

Desk: 202-994-7629 | Mobile: 703-863-3174 | [hidden email]

Re: malicious URLs

Gregg Banse

I agree with Annette,

There are far too many possibilities and it's impossible to think of all of them. This is one case where being reactive instead of proactive might be the better option.

Gregg

Gregg Banse

Director of Digital Communication Strategy

University Communications and Marketing

American University

4400 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20016

(202) 895-4978

RE: malicious URLs

Dempsey, Paul-2

Same here. It’s just a game of whac-a-mole. You can’t really keep up with all potential misleading or insulting URLs or Twitter handles. Trademark infringement is one remedy for particular egregious cases.

-Paul

Paul Dempsey
Web Director
College Communications

Phone: 610-409-3165
[hidden email]
My Profile

Ursinus College

Ursinus College, 601 E. Main Street, Collegeville, PA 19426-1000

RE: malicious URLs

Kreider,Eric W

Same decision here.

We spent three weeks in meetings and the time of some highly paid personnel to come up with a list that we all spent time giggling over when the Sunset period ran for .xxx and nothing has come of that. When the latest round was announced, we came to the same conclusion. We have successfully shut down a not so malicious site over use of our name, through cease and desist letters and so legal is confident in our ability to stop anything that comes up.

There is just too much out there today.

-Eric

Eric Kreider

Director, Web Services