media relations research

Aaron Rester-3
Hi all,

Has anyone ever seen actual research on how media use college/university websites in the current age? I’m getting pressure to set up a media relations-focused site, but no one seems to have any idea about how/why this audience would go to our site. Hoping to find some legit data instead of designing by anecdote.

thanks,
Aaron

--
Aaron Rester
Assistant Vice President, Web Development

RE: media relations research

Mike Rekemeyer

We have a media room – I didn’t really get it when I was asked to provide space for it, but the way it was explained to me is it is a location the media can go to get contact information and simple bio’s and photo’s for their use. It’s also a location where Marketing can post media releases.

Michael Rekemeyer | Website Manager | Marketing & Communication | 1000 Brady St., Davenport, IA 52803 | Office: (563) 884-5190 | Fax: (563) 884-5393

RE: media relations research

Aaron Rester-3
Thanks, Mike. Have you seen any evidence that journalists are using it in the intended way?

best,
Aaron

--

On Feb 9, 2017, at 12:46 PM, Mike Rekemeyer <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

We have a media room<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.palmer.edu_media-2Dnewsroom_&d=DQMGaQ&c=a-IB_GMEfAZCNvTl5o6ZExYKmR-HZTqw1M_ZxQv8eiY&r=6t8_gWqK32uJlFzS-egw2C0EjcqPGtP9ffsvEnc-KEA&m=-NAURfvTS3LbX4PnAod-NnfwXSyxfwMRidd1D4FtPOA&s=mnbVeWPXshA16fnYohzJL2X3UJtqgd7dmDaxmIS8ioI&e=> – I didn’t really get it when I was asked to provide space for it, but the way it was explained to me is it is a location the media can go to get contact information and simple bio’s and photo’s for their use. It’s also a location where Marketing can post media releases.

Michael Rekemeyer | Website Manager | Marketing & Communication | 1000 Brady St., Davenport, IA 52803 | Office: (563) 884-5190 | Fax: (563) 884-5393

RE: media relations research

Mike Rekemeyer

Evidence… hmmm… best I can do from my end is analytics – which I happen to have open. For the month of January there have been 150 hits total to the two pages from external audience. Doesn’t mean it wasn’t our people using their phones to look at it or prospective students thinking it was something for them, but for as small a college as we are I don’t see that as too bad for numbers. Now that you got me thinking about it – I think I need to get the programmer to add an RSS feed to it so news types can get updated automatically if they want.

I will catch the Marketing person that uses it after lunch and see if she can get me any information.

Thank you,

On Feb 9, 2017, at 12:46 PM, Mike Rekemeyer <[hidden email]>> wrote:

We have a media room<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/wXzEBru0VO7tn> – I didn’t really get it when I was asked to provide space for it, but the way it was explained to me is it is a location the media can go to get contact information and simple bio’s and photo’s for their use. It’s also a location where Marketing can post media releases.

[...]

To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]> with the subject line unsubscribe uwebd. Leave the message body blank. If you experience problems, contact list owner Eric Kreider at [hidden email]<[hidden email]>. More information is available at: https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/arQaBefegVmtD<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/27oVBZS36AwcM>

You are currently subscribed to [hidden email]>.

Re: media relations research

David P. Dillard

I have a bibliography of some books and some scholarly articles that cover
some areas or aspects of media interest and involvement with university
web sites and web pages.  I hope at least some of these will be of help to
you in your quest for information on this topic.

51578[SportMed] EDUCATION COLLEGE WEBSITES WEB PAGES AND WEB PRESENCE :
MEDIA : NEWS REPORTS : TELEVISION: College Websites and Web Presence and
Media Use and Understanding of Colleges Through the Presentation of
Colleges on the Internet: A Selective Brief Bibliography of Scholarly
Sources and Research Reports

http://tinyurl.com/jd75vzq

Also, I hope everyone who belongs to this group has a great weekend.

.

.

Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584
[hidden email]
http://workface.com/e/daviddillard

Net-Gold
https://groups.io/g/Net-Gold
http://net-gold.3172864.n2.nabble.com/

AND Discussion Group Directory
http://tinyurl.com/ngda2hk

OR

FAKE NEWS
https://sites.google.com/site/fakenewsresearchguide/

RESEARCH PAPER WRITING

On Thu, 9 Feb 2017, Aaron Rester wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Has anyone ever seen actual research on how media use college/university websites in the current age? I’m getting pressure to set up a media relations-focused site, but no one seems to have any idea about how/why this audience would go to our site. Hoping to find some legit data instead of designing by anecdote.
>
> thanks,
> Aaron
>
> --
> Aaron Rester
> Assistant Vice President, Web Development
> Roosevelt University
> 430 S. Michigan Ave., Room 1153
> Chicago, IL 60605
> (312) 322 7140
> [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: media relations research

Bauserman, Andrew A
Aaron,

We don't have a digital news-room per se (beyond the News site itself). Nor do we have research to back it up. But here's what we do:

List of News & Media staff including their beats:
  http://www.wm.edu/news/meettheteam/
for the reporter trying to find a News & Media contact

Searchable list of faculty experts:
  http://www.wm.edu/news/experts/
for the reporter trying to find an expert on the news topic du-jour

Also, when staff pitch a story/expert to the press, they send the deep-link from the experts page, like:
  http://www.wm.edu/news/experts/name/dacris.php

YMMV.

--
Andrew Bauserman
University Web & Design

Re: media relations research

Nicole Rhoads-2
Hi!

The University of Michigan News website does much the same as what others on this list have shared. I have also asked numerous times whether there was a way to reach out to journalists to find out what would be most helpful for them.

While we're on this subject, are those who maintain college-wide media-relations sites finding themselves at odds with departmental sites with similar functions (ie. maintaining their own experts database)?

Nicole

Nicole M. Rhoads
Web Designer | Michigan News
734-615-7744 | ns.umich.edu

On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 10:37 AM, Bauserman, Andrew <[hidden email]> wrote:
Aaron,

We don't have a digital news-room per se (beyond the News site itself). Nor do we have research to back it up. But here's what we do:

List of News & Media staff including their beats: