omitting someone from search results

Linza, Judy L

I have some articles with an author’s name. That author no longer wants their name to come up in the search results being associated with these articles. They are in pdf format. For archival purposes the University archivist does not want to remove the author’s name. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions on how I can fix it so that author’s name does not come up in the search results?

Does anyone have policy regarding this sort of issue? They leave the university as faculty, staff or student and don’t want to be associated with the information that they wrote, that comes up in the search results?

Thanks.

Judy Linza
Webmaster/Team Leader
Alfred University
1 Saxon Drive
Alfred, NY 14802
Ph: 607.871.2727
Fx: 607.871
.2339
my.alfred.edu
www.alfred.edu

RE: omitting someone from search results

Mark Mende

We don’t have a policy, per-se, but take it on a case-by-case basis. It often depends on a number of criteria: How long ago was the content created, what kind of content is it, etc. For example, if a student who was profiled on our website wants it taken down, we will do that. If we did a feature story just for the website, we would likely do that as well. If someone is mentioned in a news article, we would likely not do it, though we are looking into a better news archiving process. I know this doesn’t answer your question, but I think the institution needs to be able to make judgments that balance the wishes of others with the good of the University and its ability to provide access to information. If this was an article co-written by a current faculty member, for example, I would be more inclined to ask the faculty member and if he/she felt strongly it needed to be available as-is to display his/her research, then I would tell the person it was staying there.

I am a little surprised your archivist is getting involved. Our archives are completely internal, as they generally should be (IMO). You should be able to provide an offline version for the archives.

Mark Mende
Director of Digital Communications
St. Lawrence University

RE: omitting someone from search results

O'Neill, Michael J

Hi Judy!

That author no longer wants their name to come up in the search results being associated with these articles.

Is it safe to assume that the author’s name is appearing in Google search results for a query related to the subject matter of the PDF? For example, author wrote something on the subject of Bovine Digestion.  Now when someone searches for Bovine Digestion, one of the results in Google contains a link to the PDF with the Author’s name?

If that’s the case, you can’t really edit Google’s search results that way.  You’d likely have to change the source pdf to remove the author’s name from it, make sure it’s not in the metadata, and then check any page’s you control that link to the PDF to make sure you aren’t linking from his/her name to the PDF.  Once you’ve done all that, you just hope that Google stops using his/her name in the results.  You could try to speed this along by requesting reindexing of the page(s)/assets/PDFs.

You could also request that the PDF be removed from Google’s index entirely. You’d do this in Search Console (formerly, Webmaster Tools).   Once you do that, Google will likely find the PDF again when it follows links from pages that point to it.  So you’d want to try to take additional steps, such as excluding the PDF in your robots.txt file, etc.

It’s going to be a lot of work…for iffy results…  I’m not sure it’s worth even trying, most of the time.

Now, if you’re talking about search results on your website’s own internal search…you have the potential for much greater control and flexibility over what gets displayed, but you’re likely going to need a developer to work with, and you’re going to increase the complexity of your codebase. This will cost you over time, and again, I’m not sure that’s the business I’d want to be in.

^^^ all this is going off a lot of guessing where the problem is.  If you want to share more specifics, I’d be glad to reframe my conjecture.

> They leave the university as faculty, staff or student and don’t want to be associated with

> the information that they wrote, that comes up in the search results?

Again, if we’re talking about Google (or other third party search engine) results, there’s not a lot you can do, and the things you can do, I’d reserve for crisis situations only.  Generally speaking, revising history is a lot of work to go through for dealing with vanity issues.  :P

-Michael

RE: omitting someone from search results

Laudenslager, Kristin R
We’ve also handled this on a case by case basis.

Is this the search results on your site? Or search results in general?
If it’s on your site, that can usually be solved with a simple exclude in your settings (at least that’s how it works on ours).

However, if he/she is concerned with general search engines, isn’t that exactly why we preach to the younguns that the internet is forever?

But, if you’re feeling magnanimous, perhaps you can black out the author’s name in the online PDF. I agree with Mark that the archives don’t **need** to match what’s published on your site, and supplying them with a paper version (or thumb drive) should suffice for archival purposes.

Good luck!

On Apr 25, 2017, at 2:11 PM, Mark Mende <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

This message, together with any attachments, may contain confidential and/or privileged information and is intended only for the owner(s) of the e-mail address listed as the recipient of this message. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this email. Please notify the sender immediately by email if you have received this email by mistake and delete this email from your system. Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free, as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender, therefore, does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message which arise as a result of email transmission. If verification is required, please request a hard-copy version. DeSales University, 2755 Station Avenue, Center Valley, PA 18034 www.desales.edu

Re: omitting someone from search results

Adrian J Cooke
Judy,

Also check the PDF metadata and remove author's name from there. Replace the PDF version on your site. Google likes to index the author name field (e.g. Word often adds it by default and it usually remains when you convert to PDF).

Adrian
--

Adrian Cooke
Senior Web Information Architect

315.412.8188
[hidden email]

111 College Pl Rm 1-205, Syracuse, NY 13244
syracuse.edu

Syracuse University

On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 1:52 PM -0400, "Linza, Judy L" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

message-footer.txt (514 bytes) Download Attachment